Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Vending at large music festivals? permit?
    #9655087 - 01/21/09 09:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A few friends want to drive across country this summer and goto the 10kLF. On a personal level, I think 10klf will turn into the next bonaroo and there are a lot better festivals to goto, but hey, I've wanted to go for the past few years.

The thing is I love to work the crowd. Not in the "Headies, or Doses" sort of way, although that has provided enjoyment in the past, but food vending. I really enjoy the community and atmosphere. Simply, good vibes and good people. I have a great time doing it at small shows for Ratdog, Yonder, DSO, et al. But I figure festivals are much more serious. For people are more inclined to buy food, and food vending is welcomed. I wont be forced to shut up shop, or move as sometimes happens in parking lots.

I have two main problems though. The first being, how do I go about it? I need a permit? can anyone simplify the steps or talk about their experience? Any advice would be great.

The second issue is what to make. My first time I ever tried food vending I had tons of veggies and tons of choices. A few people loved that I had hummus and other interesting sandwiches. Most were intriqued at my bread. Panera bread gave me their left overs. I do not have this luxury anymore. So I simplified the process and made garlic grilled cheese. The garlic attracted people and the 1 dollar price sold them.

However, I couldn't help but notice the vender's that would sell the five dollars cheese steaks having a line twice the size as mine. I think tacos and cheese caseadeas are a good idea. Caseadeas for a buck and tacos for 3 or 2 for five. Tortilla making is simple. However, keeping the meet warm for such a long time is the issue. Can anyone offer advice on that? Other food ideas are welcomed too.

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepolantis
Prototype v7.3 Alpha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austraalis Flag
Re: Vending at large music festivals? permit? [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #9655719 - 01/21/09 10:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No idea bout how to do it...but for food idea's, I'd go cheap & healthy

I know when I go to festivals, they over price everything. And it's always, fish and chips, hamburgers, or CURRY! Now think about it, lot's of people, allot on drugs or drunk...do you really want people eating all that then scampering to the toilets?

I'd go for, salad wraps, stirfry's, pasta?  Stuff that fills you up, you wont have to charge out the arse to make, and best of all, it's all good food!

If your stuck for recipes I'd be glad to suggest some.

--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

OfflineGogol
Wait, what?
Male

#9656411 - 01/22/09 12:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

C20H25N3O said:
A few friends want to drive across country this summer and goto the 10kLF. On a personal level, I think 10klf will turn into the next bonaroo and there are a lot better festivals to goto, but hey, I've wanted to go for the past few years.

The thing is I love to work the crowd. Not in the "Headies, or Doses" sort of way, although that has provided enjoyment in the past, but food vending. I really enjoy the community and atmosphere. Simply, good vibes and good people. I have a great time doing it at small shows for Ratdog, Yonder, DSO, et al. But I figure festivals are much more serious. For people are more inclined to buy food, and food vending is welcomed. I wont be forced to shut up shop, or move as sometimes happens in parking lots.

I have two main problems though. The first being, how do I go about it? I need a permit? can anyone simplify the steps or talk about their experience? Any advice would be great.

The second issue is what to make. My first time I ever tried food vending I had tons of veggies and tons of choices. A few people loved that I had hummus and other interesting sandwiches. Most were intriqued at my bread. Panera bread gave me their left overs. I do not have this luxury anymore. So I simplified the process and made garlic grilled cheese. The garlic attracted people and the 1 dollar price sold them.

However, I couldn't help but notice the vender's that would sell the five dollars cheese steaks having a line twice the size as mine. I think tacos and cheese caseadeas are a good idea. Caseadeas for a buck and tacos for 3 or 2 for five. Tortilla making is simple. However, keeping the meet warm for such a long time is the issue. Can anyone offer advice on that? Other food ideas are welcomed too.

Did you sell these garlic grilled cheese sandwiches at Bonnaroo in 2005 or 2006?  I bought a few dollar garlic grilled cheese sandwiches for a buck off of someone and they were delicious.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about the first part regarding what type of permit you will need.  However, I would recommend making something somewhat healthy that includes a lot of vegetables.  After not bathing or sleeping for days, using various amounts of substances, and so on, I at least want to feel like I am doing something right for my body.  Furthermore, definitely make something that isn't too messy and that you don't need utensils for.  Tortillas/Tacos, as you noted, would be a good way to go.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #9656448 - 01/22/09 12:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well, if you want to do it legally.. you would have to have a vendors permit and all that shit, you'd have to pay the festival to set up a stand or whatever, and would have to have your stand pass health code regulations and whatnot. I'm not sure on all of the specifics.
Or you could do it the lot way, and sell sandwiches out the back of your truck.

I will say that the best food I've ever had at any festival hands down.. was a veggie wrap. Pretty simple thing.. hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, a little cheese etc.. wrapped in a pita. I'm not a vegetarian but it was exactly what I needed and was orgasmicly delicious. Crisp, clean, refreshing.. and not all greasy and shit like most of the trash vendors sell at fests.

--------------------

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Re: Vending at large music festivals? permit? [Re: Shroomism]
    #9659176 - 01/22/09 02:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No, that was not me. I found a a copy of last years vendor information from 10klf. Price wise it seems do able (between 7 people) and the availability of electricity is interesting and changes things a little for the better. Ideally I would love to do Rothbury -> All Good -> 10klf hitting up smaller concerts in between doing some lot vending. Although, if they have electricity I'm taking my entire fridge with me.

Right now i'm most concerned about a business licensee and tax id number. Also, is Food a taxable item?

--------------------

Offlinewolf fish
bull of heaven

#9659366 - 01/22/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hell with 10klf getyourself a propane griddle butter cheese bread and garlic, time to make some lot grilled cheese with garlic and fallow the dead sprig tour. yeah id hit up 10klf. the only food you need to make is GRILLED CHEESE. add a few variations such as garlic and tomato maybe even ham. grilled cheese ftw

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

#9659368 - 01/22/09 02:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Do a homemade Chipotle style sort of thing. It's pretty healthy, simple, and incredibly delicious. Just bring tons of rice, beans, pre-sauteed onions and peppers, meat, and tortillas of course.

The price you charge $6-7 or whatever will definitely give you a profit since the basic ingredients are almost dirt cheap.

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Re: Vending at large music festivals? permit? [Re: Grizvok]
    #9659459 - 01/22/09 02:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i experimented a lot with grilled cheese. I think garlic for smell is important, but bread for the eye is good too. I am considering homemade bread.

However, if I do grilled cheese again, and I may. (i'd have a menu of sorts and have more choices) I would probably get a big thing of olive oil and put a few cloves of smashed garlic in the mix and let it all soak for a while and put it in a something that I could pour it easily. I would then simply keep the skillet good and greasy and just flop the bread on. Healthier and taster. This would also probably make good breakfast potatoes as of now I would have 7 people and try and stay open 24/7

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale