Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Why, Aristotle?
    #950601 - 10/10/02 08:00 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Oh Aristotle... you ignorant soul....

I know you couldn't have predicted the debacle you created. It all happened when you created the "separate" schools of thought. At the time, it was a very honest (and practical) thing to do... but it has caused us all great pain. It ushered in an era of specialization that still plagues us now.

It discourages coloring outside the lines. Society has mechanized the learning process... so that it really isn't worthy of being called education anymore. It should be called memorization and regurgitation. Free-thinkers are diagnosed as ADD and are pumped full of amphetamines, against their will. They are reprimanded for skipping mathematical steps. They are not shown what art is... so they again "learn" about it on television (if only you knew the tragedy of television).

The university has become a tech school. Requirements are given... lines are drawn in the sand... standardized tests for "intelligence"... grades for "learning"...
Even the Art wings display the decay.

Oh Aristotle... woe is me.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: Sclorch]
    #950614 - 10/10/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That bastard!

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
    #950658 - 10/10/02 08:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I remember this one time at band camp, I met Aristotle and shoved a flute up his arse!!

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

Anonymous

#951845 - 10/11/02 05:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, it is a sad state of affairs.

Nevertheless, Aristotle left a few crumbs behind that solve many mysteries. If one reads him aright, few can and fewer still do.

In time I will endeavor to make his thought clear though I am but a humbled teller of the answers he has left us.

Cheers,

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: ]
    #952438 - 10/11/02 09:32 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, at least he gave us the "means between the extremes" concept and some useful methodology.

--------------------

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#952443 - 10/11/02 09:34 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well then, what is your ideal school?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #952517 - 10/11/02 10:04 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well then, what is your ideal school?

Hmm... maybe something based on constructivism.

--------------------

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
    #952751 - 10/11/02 11:15 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

They pumped me and my friend up with pills and put us in a special class (not special ed) cause we had something called ADD and all the doctors did was make me feel bad about myself and they fucked with my mind. I knew i was smarter then them, i just couldn't learn the way they did. So basically i am starting to reteach mysef everything over again.

peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineFood
---Beast---

Loc: Siberia
    #954657 - 10/12/02 08:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I couldnt agree with you more Sclorch !

--------------------
--------mushworld.com-----More info than you can throw a stick at-

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #954831 - 10/12/02 12:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Great post Sclorch. What ever happened to creative free thinking? It is wrong to think for yourself in school these days, even worse so, it is also considered 'uncool' among students. It is truly sad that children are not exposed to more creative and artistic activities in school. Creativity is most important.

it really isn't worthy of being called education anymore. It should be called memorization and regurgitation.

What ever happened to new thought? I could not agree with that statement more. The same trash is taught year after year. There is no evolution of ideas being expressed in schools. School in many ways keeps people docile, ignorant, and in a zombie-like state.

Peace, Trev :shocked: 

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Anonymous

Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: ChubbSubb]
    #955502 - 10/12/02 07:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Lack of critical thinking frightens me far more than lack of 'creative' thinking.

Cheers,

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #955665 - 10/12/02 08:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

IMO Schools shouldn't feed kids information such as they do now:

I believe schools should attempt to teach children how to teach themselves. Edit #1 (addition) starting: Obviously all of these kids are going to end up spreading way out and living totally different lives, requiring completely different sets of basic information and things of that sort. I think schools should basically only teach how to self-educate and provide space and resources to do just that so the person can from there much more easily carry out their dreams. (End Edit #1) Especially with the internet, this keeps getting easier - instead of telling the kid how to do something, they should tell the kid how to FIND OUT how to do any given action instead of just showing them.

This "monkey-see-monkey-do" attitude in school really pissed me off throughout.

Teach how to self-teach - don't just try and teach - everybody learns differently. I know what works best for me, so they should have shown me how to use that to my full advantage instead of leaving me hanging in the wind wasting years figuring it out on my own.

They shouldn't be teaching - they should be trying to teach different ways to learn, and letting the kids and parents teach themselves (aww shit we've got some screwey parents.... that opens up another can..)

Don't know if my idea came out clearly; feel free to ask questions

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
of course, this is all my opinion; i could be stupid.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (10/12/02 09:02 PM)

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

#955694 - 10/12/02 09:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Creative and critical thinking go hand in hand.

--------------------

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

#955700 - 10/12/02 09:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

A lot of critical thinking is creative. Creative thinking is critical.

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#955705 - 10/12/02 09:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Aristotle jumps to gas-station roof tops!

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Anonymous

Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: ChubbSubb]
    #956349 - 10/13/02 05:04 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I understand your point but I am using defintions where the outcome is slightly different.

Cheers,

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: Strumpling]
    #956623 - 10/13/02 11:02 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Why, Aristotle? [Re: Evolving]
    #956643 - 10/13/02 11:23 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i went to Montesorri as a rugrat. my teacher was a old hindu lady with a dot on her forehead. i wish all learning was like that.......

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
    #956667 - 10/13/02 12:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

> Free-thinkers are diagnosed as ADD and are pumped full of amphetamines, against their will.
> They are reprimanded for skipping mathematical steps. They are not shown what art is... so they > again "learn" about it on television (if only you knew the tragedy of television).

When I don't take Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), I am unable of mustering the willpower to do anything other than sit around and do stuff like watching TV (I don't watch TV but see the parallell).

> The university has become a tech school. Requirements are given... lines are drawn in the
> sand... standardized tests for "intelligence"... grades for "learning"...

There really is no solution to the problem (the desire to "fix the world") other than suicide/giving up. Luckily, the right drugs (I'm not referring to antidepressants, though I really wouldn't know if they do or not) make it easy to do so and stop getting 'stuck' in a emotional state due to conditioned emotional responses (such as the vast majority of "compassion", which amounts to masturbatory psychic wrist-slashing*). If giving up worked it'd have been done already.

* I consider wrist-slashing to really be a healthy evolutionary impulse, but I can still hijjack the stereotype.

The following paragraph was written while in a lost state of mind and is only included because it contains enough information to maybe be of some help to someone. Stop typing now.

I'm really going on the zombie trip today. Time to go eat some Sucrets and get banned (I wrote "killfiled", but then remembered I was using inferior technology). I'll likely never understand what it is about illuminating the rational mind instead of/along with the emotional and spiritual minds that is so offensive. Spirituality and emotionality are inexpressable in this medium, which is why I like it. I have the spiritual and emotional maturity of a infant with Downs' Syndrome. They're defective and would die and take me with them (suicide, not ego death) if they went outside, so I keep them inside where I can shelter them and learn from them, making them happy and giving myself more perspectives. Sure beats living in a group home pumped full of Thorazine. Note that I meant "spiritual and emotional mind" to mean "emotional mind", since I don't know what spirituality is. Also note that my dopamine levels (?) are still high (as am I) from yesterday's higher dose of Adderall, so today's dose not only took away the hangover/extended letdown but has me tweaking again. That means I am on speed and will likely call myself a very strange person when it wears off and I become unconscious. I'm in the middle of withdrawal from all-day every-day pot use too, so I no longer have anything in my head to provide balance to the stimulant robot-God.

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology