Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Michael Crichton Passed away.
    #9241499 -

Today is a very sad day.  He was the first author who pulled me into books (at a very young age, I read Jurassic Park long before the movie).  I've read every book by him, including his first person story A Case of Need, he was a very inspiring man to me, and reading his stories kept me motivated.  I have yet to see another person who was able to create science fiction so close to our present day world and scientific possibilities...

I wish I wasn't drunk at the moment, I could explain things better but this really puts me in a depressed state of mind.  I am really going to miss being able to expect a great peace of writing every 3-4 years.


Quote:
  Link.
An outsize figure in al-most every possible way--he stood 6 ft. 9 in.--Michael Crichton died of cancer Nov. 4 in Los Angeles at the age of 66. It would require several obituaries to do justice to his polymathic professional accomplishments. Crichton trained as a doctor at Harvard Medical School, directed several feature films and created ER, one of the most successful TV dramas of all time.

But it's as a novelist that Crichton was best known. A pioneer of the techno-thriller, he wrote two dozen of them--including The Andromeda Strain, Congo and Rising Sun--which collectively sold more than 150 million copies. Crichton was never a literary stylist, but his skills as a storyteller were enormous. His plots have a crystalline perfection that has been much copied, and they combined a true nerd's fascination with science and technology with a salutary skepticism. Time and again his novels feature greedy, overeager researchers who open one Pandora's box after another, always with fatal consequences.

Crichton's most successful book was Jurassic Park, his novel about dinosaurs cloned from their fossilized DNA. Even aside from its power as a thriller, its prescience gets more astonishing year after year. The week of Crichton's death, Japanese scientists announced that they had successfully cloned mice from tissue that had been frozen for 16 years. Crichton probably wouldn't have approved, but it's a shame that he missed it.




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Maverick]
    #9241511 -

Dude this happened a while ago.

Still sucks though, I loved his books!


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #9241528 -

I know it happened a few days ago, but working 7 days a week I don't get a chance to check the news.  Plus there was no post here (that I saw).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Maverick]
    #9241533 -

I hear ya. Yeah, sphere and timeline were fucking awesome, as well as...well, just about every other one of his books. I didn't think much of airframe, though.


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #9241534 -

The book Timeline was amazing, I never bothered with the movie though... :smile:  My god all the geniuses of our time are dying off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Maverick]
    #9241550 -

I know! You know, someone on here said, and I paraphrase; "I just realized that most of my heroes will die in my lifetime". I thought about it, and its true. I will probably outlive all (or at least most) of my heroes, literary and otherwise...

Kinda sad. I never thought about that before.


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #9241678 -

If I continue with the booze I won't outlive all my role models, just the important ones...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Maverick]
    #9241683 -

HA! I'm drunk right now, niggaaaaaa!


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #9242091 -

Prey - One of my faviourite books ever.


RIP


--------------------

oh_you_know said:
what do you do with those

DoYouMusHrOOM said:
beat stupid people over the head with them.:zappa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Passed away. [Re: Maverick]
    #9242111 -

today?

this happened over ten days ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Thriller! License_to_Chill 480 3 03/05/06 02:20 AM
by Jadian
* Michael Crichton 2Experimental 648 7 04/12/04 10:03 PM
by Madtowntripper
* Michael Crichton Died...
( 1 2 all )
Toddo 937 21 11/09/08 06:13 AM
by twighead
* Arrest warrant issued for Michael Jackson
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Jellric 10,193 73 11/22/03 02:55 PM
by silversoul7
* Michael Jackon reported dead from drug overdose
( 1 2 all )
OrizonsHorizon 1,824 22 12/10/05 08:11 PM
by Microcosmatrix
* Two Crichton novels to be published posthumously JacquesCousteau 384 2 04/07/09 02:36 PM
by MOTH
* Do you still listen to Michael Jackson?
( 1 2 all )
exclusive58 2,782 23 07/27/05 11:53 AM
by Krishna
* an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush 40oz 1,128 12 09/03/05 02:32 AM
by MagicalMystery

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
633 topic views. 5 members, 49 guests and 144 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.