Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Michael Crichton Died...
    #9188331 -

He was one of the first authors I really got into in high school.  Jurassic Park...The Lost World...Congo... Even the movies based off those books made up a huge part of my games I played with my friends growing up. 

More recently, I read Travels, which was such a good book.  Probably my favorite next to Jurassic Park.  Just one of those authors that I connected with really well.  It's sad to see him go, but he left us with some damn good stories. 

RIP Michael


--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188421 -

RIP.


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188439 -

RIP :frown:

This sucks. My idols and the few remaining people I respect seem to be dropping like flies. I recently realized that ALL of my idols will die in my lifetime. The ones that haven't died already.


--------------------
Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. -Paul Gilbert

I don't know.  I never smoked AstroTurf.  -Tug McGraw, after being asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Moodion]
    #9188473 -

RIP


never one of my favourites but still a modern classic... what happened?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188537 -

He was my favorite author throughout most of my teenage years.  I read nearly all of his books...will have to go back and read some of his stuff again.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Lion]
    #9188554 -

I think it was cancer that he succumbed to. I remember reading Sphere when I was in 8th grade, and I couldn't put it down. Read it in one day. Jurassic park was also a pivotal movie for my generation.


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Green_T]
    #9188687 -

Damn. Granted most times I read his stuff was when it came out on paperback and I needed reading material at the airport, but I loved Sphere and Jurassic Park.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188699 -

RIP

The man provided my middle school years with plenty of good reads.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Entropymancer]
    #9188726 -

I just heard.
It's pretty sad, I was such a huge fan of all his books.
He definitely affected me through his writing and imagination.
Sphere and Jurassic Park.. just wow.
OP I haven't heard of travels? is that a newer book or and older one? I thought his last book was the one about environmental terrorism.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188736 -

Damn.. Sphere and Jurassic Park served as a springboard for pursuing my academics in literature as well as my fiction writing.



He definitely left his mark on our culture, which is all an author could really ask for.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188737 -

Aww... damn.

I too was a big fan during my high school days. His works from that age intrigued me, but didn' QUITE fulfill my overall desire for a good story. I later found satisfaction in the very rewarding stories between the covers of both Timeline and Prey. I then went back to some of his earlier work, and discovered the Andromeda Strain, which I also greatly enjoyed. (Although it was a little anti-climactic.)

Timeline and Prey will probably always be my two favorites by him.

Welp, we all gotta go sometime. He wrote some awesome stuff before he left. I'm grateful that he didn't die with his music still in him.

Nothing quite like watching a mortal shell fall away... it's a wonderful thing when the spirit has been expressed to such a degree beforehand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #9188888 -

Damn, it's too bad he didn't quite make it to see ER finish up. I had no idea the man even had cancer. :frown:

I was a huge fan of his books when I was younger and just re read Jurassic Park a few months ago. I wonder if it ever bothered him that despite how brilliant and technical his writing was, possibly his biggest fan base were 12-15 year old kids.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9188922 -

Travels was published in '88.  Non-Fiction about his own adventures in medical school and exploring the world.  Like most people, I found his ideas amazing in highschool.  But I JUST read Travels and I found it to be one of those books that I made me stay up all day/night reading-not because it was fast paced or thriller-but because  I was having so much fun reading the thing, pure enjoyment.  He's been on some pretty crazy adventures...and brought millions of people along for the ride with his books.


--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Toddo]
    #9189493 -

Damn

Sphere was the first adult book I ever read... terrified me.

I suspect they can mix his blood with frog DNA and bring him back to life


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... *DELETED* [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #9194086 -

Post deleted by Lion

Reason for deletion: .


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Lion]
    #9194138 -

yeah...he will be missed. i watched The Great Train Robbery in his honor last night with my room mate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: JT]
    #9194161 -

Damn it! MC is [was] one of my favorite authors of all time! :bye:


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #9194187 -

Jurassic park was my favorite movie as a youngster in the 90s. I had so many JP toys, whole compounds and huge dinosaurs, projectil firing vehicles. etc... A lot of video games about it too.    Chrichton did some good work.


--------------------
How to talk to cops

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9194813 -

Very Sad To See Him Go So Early.  We also lost Tony Hillerman this year.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Michael Crichton Died... [Re: arago]
    #9195304 -

RIP MC.  Prey was/is one of my favorite stories.


--------------------
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither.
-Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Michael Crichton Passed away. Maverick 633 9 11/14/08 01:39 AM
by California
* Michael Crichton 2Experimental 648 7 04/12/04 10:03 PM
by Madtowntripper
* A Teahouse Interview with In(di)go in Germany World Spirit 3,399 13 04/12/05 08:08 AM
by In(di)go
* Jurassic 5 broke up! blissedout 721 7 05/16/08 09:58 AM
by Gainer
* Two Crichton novels to be published posthumously JacquesCousteau 384 2 04/07/09 02:36 PM
by MOTH
* Best night ever (potentially)(Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples) flubbilynumpkins 839 6 05/24/06 04:25 AM
by Jalruza
* How bout dis? Darkestone 322 4 10/05/09 03:20 PM
by Darkestone
* Michael Jackson has died
( 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 )
hoodbran 11,698 269 07/12/09 06:56 PM
by NoAgenda

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
937 topic views. 4 members, 15 guests and 83 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.