Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenimrodd
hopefull
Loc: never ever land
backyard mush mush ID
    #920576 - 09/30/02 10:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hey everyone  :grin:
just grabbed some mush around my yard, and wanted to know if anyone could ID them for me. they dont look active, but im interested in what they are anyway.

the first one up is a cap i found with a damaged stem (stem got destroyed)
gills are brown/drk brown (print comes out drk brown/black)

these little fellas i found in grass in my backyard next to a walkway. gills are tan/golden brown and prints fall out to be tanish???  :confused:

last up is a weird species, i found about 30 of these in a cake near the side of my yard, dont have gills, so cant take print  :tongue:

that's it for now. thanks alot for ID's everyone, i really appreciate em. and again im a new hunter, tryin to expand my knowledge on mushrooms, and on cultivation! thanks again!   

--------------------
: : it always rains on a picnic : :

Edited by nimrodd (09/30/02 10:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: nimrodd]
    #920726 - 09/30/02 11:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Your first mushroom looks like an Agaricus. They are fairly difficult to ID to species accurately at any time, but that one is pretty wormy. The stem is very important for that genus in identification - without it we don't really have much of a chance.

The second group of mushrooms are Marasmius oreades, a very common lawn mushroom which often grows in fairy rings, which is why it is sometimes called the Fairy Ring Mushroom. They are edible, if the lawn they're growing in doesn't have poisonous chemicals in it (which the mushrooms will concentrate). The spore print on those is normally white to pale tan.

The last ones are immature, and that makes them hard to ID. Try cutting one in half vertically and showing us what the cross section looks like.

Nice photos - in focus and showing both sides of the mushroom, and good job getting spore prints.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinenimrodd
hopefull
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #920750 - 09/30/02 11:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thank you very much. i'll take some more pics of those ones on the bottom tomorrow. they seem to be poisonous/deadly, but thats just me  :wink:

thanks again!

--------------------

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Loc: Mid Atlantic, U.S.
    #921636 - 10/01/02 05:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Toxicman,

The last ones there look like the young Honey Mushroom I have been harvesting by the pounds over the last several days. When that little membrane breaks loose under the cap it leaves a ring. The rings on most of the ones I?m finding have a bright yellow streak in them but some are predominantly white.

By the way Toxicman, I tried a sample of the stem with the outer layers cut away and its was way to rubbery to be enjoyable. So much for that!

I appear to have some Gem Studded Puffballs and a couple small Eastern Cauliflower mushrooms as well. I did get another shot at the Parasol harvest, they are smaller but all 3? + and don?t have any curious I.D. features.

Thanks Toxicman, you are a majorly cool mushroom dude!

Nimrodd,

Here is a link to a page showing the Honey Mushroom. Don?t pay too much heed to the advice not to eat them; this particular site seems to discourage you from eating anything.
Just be sure you know what you have before eating it, and eat just a taste the first time allowing 24 hours to be sure nothing is wrong. Be sure to cook even your sample if you verify that these are Honey Mushrooms, they should not be eaten raw. They also say you should do the same taste test from each different clump or area they are growing in. They live and eat on trees and their roots and apparently the possible gastronomic sensitivity can vary depending on the type of tree.

Look into the Jack-o-Lantern mushroom and be sure you don?t have these ?poisonous? mushrooms because they grow in the exact same type of habitat, but they are bright orange (usually brighter color than the Honey?s) and don?t have a ring on the stem when the caps open. Also the spores of the Jack-o-Lantern glow in the dark. The mycelium of the Honey mushroom glows in the dark too but you?ll only see that on the wood substrate it is growing on, from what I have read.

The spore print of the Honey?s is white while the Jack-o-Lantern is listed as pale cream so they might be confused, but the bright orange color and lack of ring on the stem (along with the fact that the caps are in fact somewhat different) sets the Jack-o-Lantern apart. All other look-alikes to the Honey?s have brown or purplish brown spore prints from what I have found.

The cap flesh is just a bit on the rubbery side but the Honey?s are good eats. Cook them fast and hot in margarine for straight to the plate eating and slow cook them for soups, etc. You can cook up a batch and separate portions into Ziploc bags and keep them for a couple of months in the freezer and add them to soups and sauces. I have yet to find any bitterness in them.

Here?s the link,

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/armillariella_mellea.html

Here is a pic of just one cluster I found, now I?m finding them all over the place!

Peace

--------------------
Only man's arrogance could deem a mushroom illegal.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: ledfethered]
    #922122 - 10/01/02 11:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You're correct that the immature mushrooms look like Honey Mushrooms. Unfortunately, they also resemble several species of Tricholoma, some of which are poisonous (see, for example, Tricholoma vaccinum). Since I can't see the erect hairs on the caps of these specimens (is it the photo or because they aren't there) I'm far from certain of the identification. We don't even know yet if the spores are white. If the immature gills are gray or brown it could also be a Nematoloma or Pholiota.

Here's a question back to the original post: look at the cap and see if there are small, erect "hairs", especially near the center of the cap. This photograph shows well what I'm referring to, although their specimens are hairier than most I've seen. If you see those hairs, then ledfethered is correct and they are Honey Mushrooms. If they are not present, then they are likely to be something else.

Another quick question - do they have any particular odor? Many Tricholomas (and other mushrooms) have distinctive odors which can lead you immediately to the correct species.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #922142 - 10/01/02 11:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

late coming in, but i'm always with toxicman, whether i (or he)like it or not!!!!
i say agaricus somethingorother, marasmius oreades, and maybe, just maybe honey something. hehe.
so, led, what is up with the eastern cauliflower!!!!! let's see it!!! the sparassis crispa i bought (shame!) from a market in eugene oregon last year was incredible!!!! very morel-like in flavor and texture.keep learning guys, this is fun, ain't it!!!

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Loc: Mid Atlantic, U.S.
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: viscid]
    #923059 - 10/01/02 05:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Toxicman thanks for the feedback (as always, grateful),

I have found that the hairs on the honey mushrooms can be more like fuzz also. At least they haven?t killed me yet! I see what you?re saying about the Trichloma vaccinum (Russet-scaly Trich), it has a white spore print and all. I guess the first question is, ?does it have a soft fluffy ring on the stem once open??. I was thinking his specimen looked pretty smooth too.

Viscid:

I have pics of all the stuff, just been too busy to process and get uploaded! Jumped a neighbor?s fence to grab a cool one today, just for fun, in the dung! I?ll get some more pics up soon, keep an eye out.

Peace

--------------------
Only man's arrogance could deem a mushroom illegal.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: ledfethered]
    #923225 - 10/01/02 06:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Tricholoma vaccinum can be distinguished easily from Honey Mushrooms because it won't have a ring at all (Also, the ones I've found have an odd odor). The problem in this case is that we don't know if they'll end up with a ring or not. And there are other Tricholomas it can be confused with. With the smooth looking cap on his specimen (at least in the photo) I'm not sure enough to give an ID yet.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: backyard mush mush ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #923514 - 10/01/02 07:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

dont they even look lepiota-like.... i mean, the bulbous base and all? i dont think i've seen honeys like that, but i haven't seen too many honeys....
americana and rachodes can look kinda like that as youngsters? tricholoma sounds bad in any event to me. except for magnivelare, which i hope to go get with my girl this weekend up in the cascades...
happy hunting!!

Offlinenimrodd
hopefull
    #924983 - 10/02/02 02:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks everyone for your cooperation and comments, i appreciate them alot. if any of you have some spare time, or just wanna talk, IM me on AIM on the screen name digitalxiii or email me at nimrodd@tumyeto.com

i also need help on what is most likely actives to be found in new england at this time of the year/season. im guessing pan subs and maybe libs in manuer (but ive heard different) and possibly none on manmade or natural habitats :confused: :confused:

any help on this subject is greatly apprecaited too. thanks again everyone. 

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification