Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st
    #9158643 -

NaNoWriMo for this year is coming up!  I have been hearing about it for years and never participated for some reason, but I am geared and ready to give it my all this time around.  It will be a personal challenge and fun activity to amuse myself with. 

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Quote:
National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2007, we had over 100,000 participants. More than 15,000 of them crossed the 50k finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.




Fun fun fun -!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: MOTH]
    #9158737 -

What a cool idea, too bad I have three papers to write.  I still may attempt to do so however.

Do you have any story ideas? 

I've got a brilliant one, I think, but I just need to actually sit down and flesh it out.  I've got two pages written so far.  :smile:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158754 -

I'm not sure whether to devote myself entirely to the novel I am already working on, or start a new project altogether.  I will have to give it some serious thought over the next day or so - I hope to average 2000 words a day.  I have the time right now. 

As for story ideas: For me, the story kinda shapes itself as I'm writing it.  I just gotta flowwwwwwww 

I'm glad there's some interest in this by other Shroomery writers!  :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158757 -

Penguarky Tunguin said:
What a cool idea, too bad I have three papers to write.


:werd:  I have a 15-pager and a number of smaller ones coming up.  Laaaaaame.  Still, I think maybe I'll give it a shot!  Could be fun! 

Incidentally, there's a program going on at my school where students submit essays or stories on topics of their choice, and weekly winners make $1,000, with the final grand prize being $250,000.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: MOTH]
    #9158758 -

I suppose 1667 words a day isn't too much of a push, but every day, day in day out sounds like utter masochism.

I'd have probably had a go when I was younger and although the idea sounds like madcap fun I'd rather work on my projects in the snail like pace I usually do. My time is so limited these days anyway.

If you do take part and finish post the complete manuscript in your journal - I'd love to read it.


--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158763 -

Penguarky Tunguin said:
I've got a brilliant one, I think, but I just need to actually sit down and flesh it out.  I've got two pages written so far.  :smile:



You started early, cheater! :wink:


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158765 -

I'm fancifully hoping that a goal like this would actually help me also begin and finish the three papers I have to do.

I hate writing papers sometimes.

Mind giving us all a synopsis of your story?  I'm just interested to see what other ideas people've got going.  I'll share mine too.


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #9158773 -

theorganicdomino said:
I suppose 1667 words a day isn't too much of a push, but every day, day in day out sounds like utter masochism.




hehe...The way I see it, it's only for 30 days.  I can do this.  I am totally obsessive in the best of times, and when I get "hooked" on something, I like to throw myself in, full throttle. 

30 days of intense devotion to writing output.  Giving it my all.  Letting it flow, without expectation, without judgment, just GETTING IT OUT.  Sounds very very exciting to me. 

I'll do my best!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: MOTH]
    #9158797 -

Good luck!

It's funny but I just realised that if I still smoked pot I'd definitely have a go at this, I use to fly through writing stuff while stoned - marjuana got me a 1st class honors degree.

But I don't, so I won't. Ah well.

Again, good luck.


--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158894 -

Penguarky Tunguin said:
I'm fancifully hoping that a goal like this would actually help me also begin and finish the three papers I have to do.

I hate writing papers sometimes.

Mind giving us all a synopsis of your story?  I'm just interested to see what other ideas people've got going.  I'll share mine too.



 

Will PM you.  :wink:  Or anyone else who is interested. 

Edited by MOTH (10/30/08 11:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: MOTH]
    #9158955 -

That sounds absolutely wild!

Mine is more down-to-Earth (pun).  :smile:

It is a love story at the end of the world.

I've got a few characters:

A man named Violence who runs a male-only yoga studio and is a drunkard.

A woman named Viola who builds miniature trebuchets and attaches modified tennis ball holders to the end and takes the contraptions to the dog park and demos them to people in the park.  She's a "free spirit".

There is a cosmic egg at the center of the story, named Marcia Stewart, who gets sold to an old lady at a garage sale.  The old man who owned it was way up in the Occult community and when it transferred possession it sent off a signal throughtout the universe, which alerts an evil alien named Zast, who spends the entire novel trying to get a hold of it.  He's obsessed with mint tea.

And then there's an amorous yak named Keith, who is brought back to the States by Violence, who took a trip to Tibet to learn additional yoga techniques.  He then walks Keith in the dog-park and meets Viola.

Turns out the old lady is Viola's grandmother....and that's all I got so far.  I don't know where to go from there, plot wise.

:grin:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: National Novel Writing Month_ November 1st [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #9158995 -

Sounds like an entertaining read that will be fun to write.  I love the idea of Violence already - a drunkard who runs a male-only yoga studio...hehe.  He sounds very eclectic.  All your characters do.  I love quirky folks, especially in stories where you can just run rampant with fun personality attributes.  I love how you're including yoga in the story too. 

I'm sure once you get cruising, the plot will unravel itself naturally.  Just gotta flowww with it...

My biggest challenge personally as a writer is that I am super-critical of my own work.  It's nice that during November I'll be focusing on quantity and suspending judgment for awhile.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* NaNoWriMo trillby33 226 0 10/18/08 03:44 PM
by trillby33
* Nanowrimo Srirachi 179 4 11/02/14 01:09 AM
by Buttsnot
* Shawnee National Forest
( 1 2 all )
Adom 2,856 30 04/30/04 01:11 PM
by Adom
* I had my 1ST baby !!!
( 1 2 3 all )
MagicGirL 3,614 48 05/04/04 02:00 PM
by MagicGirL
* why are writing lyrics so fucking hard to do?
( 1 2 all )
Delyrium 4,723 22 02/24/06 06:33 PM
by AliceDee
* Arizona Gathering - november Barbi 869 10 08/30/04 07:25 PM
by Barbi
* National Rainbow gathering nicechrisman 2,829 16 07/19/04 03:08 PM
by Phychotron
* How long does it take for you to start writing an essay? ummikko 1,619 10 12/16/03 09:36 PM
by TheDude

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,457 topic views. 2 members, 10 guests and 130 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.