Take 15 minutes to read this. You will be glad you did.
INTRODUCTION
I notice a far amount of people who seem generally unhappy with their life and can't seem to find tons of energy and enjoyment. This post is a combination of a number of different techniques that I've rolled into one that has been very effective for me to find those.
You can use one, or all, or none of them if you wish. This is simply how I've decided to apply this system and how it has worked for others. Sorry if it seems a bit unclear at this point, as this is going to pretty much be a ramble, a good one at that
What is it?
The state of surrender, in its most practical sense is basically accepting what is. In a more spiritual way of speaking, it is saying yes to the universe, or completely accepting the present moment for what it offers. Essentially, the moment "is what it is".
There is no morsel of "no" within your being when you surrender to the moment. Otherwise what you would experience is called 'Resistance', which essentialy, is not being able to accept your current reality. More on this later.
THE PRACTICAL USE OF SURRENDING TO THIS MOMENT
By applying a state of 'SURRENDER TO THE PRESENT MOMENT' and not letting myself fall into a "victim" role, I actually enjoy what the day offers. The same use can be applied to being stuck in traffic, waiting in a line, going through a day on very little sleep, being hung over... This list of examples can be pretty extensive.
Resistance
So as explained above, resistance is the emotion you get when you can't accept your current reality, or in other words, the present moment.
When you find yourself in any situation (similar to those listed above) that is out of your control, STAY PRESENT, and listen to what kind of statements and questions your ego will attempt to create to push you into a state of resistance.
"This shouldn’t be happening" "Why does this have to happen to me?" "This is ridiculous" "I'll never make it through this day" "When will it end?" ...and f course the classic "UGGGGHHHHH!!!"
Each one of these implies that you should be placed into a 'victim role', which can ultimately lead to further frustration and carry symptoms of procrastination and dis-spirited energy. This is a detriment to those in high school, college or work facing large workloads, as the energy it takes to resist an emotion will decimate your ability to function.
First, Become Present
Their are great teachings that show us to become observant of these thoughts and the resistance to what is, will dissolve.
SIMPLY BECOME AWARE OF THE NEGATIVE STATEMENTS THAT ARISE WHEN GOING THROUGH YOUR BUSY DAY. Feel free to take note of the types of messages that travel through your mind when you simply feel overwhelmed with your day, rushed, pushed to your limit, or feeling anxiety for what is to come. These type of statements will not be all that different from what was listed here..
"How will I ever get through this day?" "Why do I always get myself into these things?" "Your never going to be able to pull this off"...etc etc
Feel the emotion behind each one of these messages and become the observer of your mind.
ASK BETTER QUESTIONS
Basically, whatever question you ask yourself, no matter how negative or delusional it may be, your mind and body will develop a response to it. So if you continually ask yourself "How will I get through this day?" the negative indication behind the question will dictate an equal negative response either phsyically, or emotionally, or mentally, or ALL OF THEM. By creating questions that have a positive focus surrounding them you will instantly change your emotional state. Simply because, as stated above, your mind and body will create an equal response.
SIMPLY PUT, ASKING NEGATIVE QUESTIONS WILL CREATE A NEGATIVE STATE. ASKING POSITIVE QUESTIONS WILL CREATE A POSITIVE STATE. SO CHANGE THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK YOURSELF WHENEVER YOU FIND YOURSELF UNHAPPY, IN A BAD MOOD OR FRUSTRUATED WITH LIFE.
Rather than "How will I possibly get through this week?" Ask yourself "How can I use this week to become more productive?" or "What can I learn this week that I didn't know before" or my favorite "How can I make this more fun?"
Here is a few more simple examples.. Ask yourself "What can I learn from this?" "Whats Funny about this?" "What I'm I happy or excited in my life right now?" "How is this going to benefit me?" "What am I looking foward to?"
Develop Better Self Statements
How to ask better questions has been nailed down.. But lets to take this even further and use new empowering self statements that come from a place of commitment, which I continue to internalize to replace the old self statements of victimhood and depression. Negative self statements, even though can be very very subtle, will generally lead to resistance to the moment.
So let me ask you a question.. How many times a day do you say the words "I have to" or "I should"?
This can be directly translated into “I have to, but I don’t want to." By identifying with this statement you’re confirming a state of victimization. Furthermore, by stating "I have to" your basically confirming your submissive to a higher authorization in which you have no control, that you’re a victim of a higher power and have no choice in the manner. This leaves you in a no-win situation, in which either path leads to pain.
"I have to go to work" "I have to do homework" "I have to walk the dog" "I have to clean my room(or do chores)" "I have to go to class"
However, do you REALLY HAVE TO? No one has a gun to your head and is making you wake up in the morning, eat your fruit loops, go to work, go to school, and hit the gym... Just to go off topic for a second… But In fact, THIS IS TECHNICALLY CONSIDERED A GRAND NOVELTY .
AS ONLY 10% OF THE WORLD REALLY HAS ACCESS TO THE SAME SELF-ACTUALIZATION TOOLS AND LIFE OPPURTUNITY AS YOU HAVE.
Simply replace the words "I HAVE TO" or "I SHOULD" with the words "I WANT TO" or "I CHOOSE TO"......I can't stress how important this is...
This is a very subtle change that will completely override how you identify with your daily tasks.
Quote: "The language, attitudes, and behaviors of producers can be acquired through specific, on-the-job practice. For example, if you're at your desk looking at a pile of unanswered mail and a list of unturned telephone calls, the first thing you may notice is that your shoulders being to droop fowards in a depressed, burdned fashion. This is a clear signal that, even if you haven't heard yourself say, "I have to," you feel victimized rather than responsible and powerful. At that moment of awareness, immediately CHOOSE to work or accept responsibility for choosing to delay. Use your awareness of negative thought or attitude to reflexively shift you to the producer's attitude of choice and power. " **** Fiore, Ph.D. "The Now Habit "
So in other words... I WANT to go to school, I WANT to go to work, and I WANT to go to practice (of any sport, such as soccer, or footbal, or basketball). Because essentially I want a good life of myself, I want to be educated, and I want to be energetic and be physically content.
The State of Surrender at Work, or SCHOOL
By simply accepting that the course of your day 'is what it is', and by internalizing new empowering thoughts and self statements, you'll develop a laser focus on present action, and you'll use a higher level of creativity and enthusiasm on tasks on what used to be considered the "let’s just get this over with" day.
Quote: "In the State of Surrender, you see very clearly what needs to be done, and you take action, doing one thing at a time and focusing on one thing at a time. Learn from nature: See how everything gets accomplished and how the miracle of life unfolds without dissatisfaction and unhappiness.
If your overall situation is unsatisfactory or unpleasant, separate yourself out instantly and surrender to what is. That's the flashlight cutting through the fog. Your state of consciousness then ceases to be controlled by external conditions. You are no longer coming from reaction and resistance. "
Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now
Other Practical Notes
Beyond accepting the moment and empowering yourself, there are a few other steps I recommend you take along the way to obtain ultimate production throughout a busy day. Proper Nutrition, this does absolutely wonders for improving the flow of your work, SERIOUSLY, eat some fruits and vegistables, and drink tons of water. Being active, this always allows me to hit a peak state emotionally, physically, and mentally.
Lastly, always find time for play...this is self-explanatory.
Surrender to the present moment, don't try, just be. SAY YES. Optimism. Dedication. Perseverance. Patience. Happiness. & yall.
-------------------- "Life lived in the absence of the psychedelic experience that primordial shamanism is based on is life trivialized, life denied, life enslaved to the ego."
"You teach the world how to treat you, by showing the world how you treat yourself."
A well developed sense of humor is far superior to any religion"
"Everything you could want and could be, you already have and are."
&
|