Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home?
    #8744977 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8744991 -

Now say it 10 times fast. :tongue:


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: The_Ghost]
    #8745003 -

thats a doozy!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745006 -

ill build them jus 4 blazin


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: Coaster]
    #8745010 -

well for roughly $30k you can build your own eco friendly and durable smoke lodge.  :rasta:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745092 -

Yeah, might be neat for like a kids treehouse or something.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: badchad]
    #8745101 -

no way man, you can make them bigger, or connect several of them to make your home larger, it actually leaves alot of room for expansion.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745130 -

I would rather build a Monolithic dome. All they say on their website is: "The streamline curvature of a dome helps to dissipate wind energy." I want case studies and someone's personal experience with this shit in a hurricane or tornado. Monolithic domes have been proven to withstand both of those where houses just next door were torn to shreds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: DNKYD]
    #8745154 -

well unfortunately not everyone can afford a monolithic stone structure.

http://www.i-domehouse.com/

looks like it would be pretty structurally sound to me.  as long as its put together correctly, any dome has been proven to withstand very severe weather.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745773 -

The website says the kits start at $30,000, which does not include transport, assembly, or interior finish. I'm going to assume, since that is all I can do given the lack of information they provide, that the $30K price tag is for their base model which totals a whopping 480 sq. ft. of interior space. After you factor in the costs not included in the structure's price you are probably looking at anywhere from $75 to $110 per square foot of finished space.

Depending on how you go about it, a Monolithic dome house can fall within that price range as well. Of course, it all depends on how lavish you want your living quarters to be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745801 -

leftysurprise said:





I dunno man, I can totally see Papa Smurf walking out of one of those things.....


>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8745815 -

ehh. i still think its neat :smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: DNKYD]
    #8745915 -

DNKYD said:
I want case studies and someone's personal experience with this shit in a hurricane or tornado. Monolithic domes have been proven to withstand both of those where houses just next door were torn to shreds.



stick framing is about as weak as you can get, it's not
surprising that they cant handle a 120mph windload, fact of the
matter is tornadoes are unpredictable, I've seen stick framed
homes left untouched whole others around them were splinters, a
class3 tornado will take out a monolithic dome, class 4 or 5
will uproot the fucker and drop it on the nearest school

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8745935 -

well the kids wont have far to walk to school now will they?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8745937 -

*wont have a school to walk to

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8745944 -

well that complicates things.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8745992 -

Prisoner#1 said:
DNKYD said:
I want case studies and someone's personal experience with this shit in a hurricane or tornado. Monolithic domes have been proven to withstand both of those where houses just next door were torn to shreds.



stick framing is about as weak as you can get, it's not
surprising that they cant handle a 120mph windload, fact of the
matter is tornadoes are unpredictable, I've seen stick framed
homes left untouched whole others around them were splinters, a
class3 tornado will take out a monolithic dome, class 4 or 5
will uproot the fucker and drop it on the nearest school



What proof do you have of this? I'd like to see it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8746023 -

Damn $30,000?

I'm about to build a house in a couple months for about $20,000 out of shipping containers about 3 times the size and its definitely hurricane proof. I'm going to cob the outside and put a roof on it so it doesn't look like a shipping container and so I can collect rain water and so I can have an attic.



You can get 40 foot ones delivered for 3000 easy.

I do enjoy round homes (I lived in a yurt for little while) but I'm surpised they can't make it cheaper than that. You could probably build a straw bale dome and put a roof over it for $8,000 if not way less and cob it to have an outside texture like this:



It really makes me want to build a strawbale dome now that I think of it, if you build it small enough you don't need building permits in my county because it is basically in the same category as a shed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: DNKYD]
    #8746024 -

http://static.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/reynolds/index.html


wow. this is a really nice monolithic dome home.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you say Styrofoam Dome Home? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8746066 -

http://static.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/young/forsale2008/index.html


holy shit, this one is even more badass. its freakin huge and entirely underground!  this is the perfect property and house for me. ive honestly dreamed of living in something very similar to this!

:omgawesome:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Geodesic Domes hello_im_alex 381 7 01/20/10 02:31 PM
by druqs
* Buzz Aldrin Reveals Existence of Monolith on Mars Moon
( 1 2 all )
DeadHearts 1,829 23 04/19/10 12:27 PM
by AsAboveSoBelow
* Styrofoam isn't microwavable is it?
( 1 2 3 all )
jewunit 3,433 41 03/31/09 01:13 PM
by Brugman
* Dome cold smoothie tek LuSiD enthusiast 144 0 07/04/16 04:16 PM
by LuSiD enthusiast
* 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY meaning of the monolith revealed (one mans interpretation)
( 1 2 all )
DeadHearts 4,283 32 05/18/10 04:20 AM
by Frost
* *Monolith* New Band Tune (Heavy Prog Rock)
( 1 2 all )
Syle 2,435 22 02/18/09 07:12 PM
by Syle
* U.S. Congress approves $225M for Iron dome
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Gilgamesh18 2,575 93 08/03/14 05:25 PM
by akira_akuma
* I'm going to hike Half Dome TONIGHT.... openmind 959 12 08/05/09 11:38 PM
by openmind

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,240 topic views. 3 members, 6 guests and 199 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.