Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Schlitz! Back with original recipe
    #8730087 - 08/05/08 05:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I used to drink the 32s when I was a broke teenager. My only memories are of a blue bull and a pretty god awful flavor

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970479?GT1=43001

MILWAUKEE - It's the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Now Schlitz is making the city nostalgic.

That beer with the old-time mystique is back on shelves in bottles of its original formula in the city where it was first brewed more than a century and a half ago.

Schlitz was the top-selling beer for much of the first half of the 20th century. But recipe changes and a series of snafus made the beer — in many a drinker's opinion — undrinkable, turning what was once the world's most popular brew into little more than a joke.

But after decades of dormancy, the beer is back.

Schlitz' owner, Pabst Brewing Co., is recreating the old formula, using notes and interviews with old brew masters to concoct the pilsner again. The maker of another nostalgic favorite, Pabst Blue Ribbon, it hopes baby boomers will reach for the drink of their youth, otherwise known as "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous." They also want to create a following among younger drinkers who want to know what grandma and grandpa drank.

"We believe that Schlitz is if not the, one of most iconic brands of the 20th century," said Kevin Kotecki, president of Pabst Brewing Co., which bought the brand that dates to 1849 from Stroh's in 1999. "And there's still a lot of people who have very positive, residual memories about their experience. For many of them it was the first beer they drank and we wanted to give it back to those consumers."

In Milwaukee, the comeback is creating a buzz. Stores are depleted of their stock within days, they're taking names for waiting lists and limiting customers to just a few six- or 12-packs each.

People like Leonard Jurgensen say the beer reminds them of better days. The 67-year-old, who grew up on the edge of the brewery downtown, said decades ago it seemed that everyone in the city either worked for the brewery or knew someone who did. If there was a special occasion, you drank Schlitz. Jurgensen had it on his wedding day 45 years ago.'

"For many years the product was associated with happy times, especially to people my age," said Jurgensen, who's writing a book on Milwaukee's breweries. "As we all know, the world is not the best it can be today. We used to think those were hard times and when we look back on them, those were the good old days."

Schlitz' comeback has been slow, just like its fall from the top. It was tested in a few markets and is available in Minneapolis, Chicago and western Florida, besides Milwaukee.

Its ties to the city are deep. Schlitz began its life at a brewery founded by August Krug in 1849. Joseph Schlitz took over and opened the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. several years later.

Nostalgia could prove a driving factor in sales, Kotecki said. Pabst is certainly using it in its marketing, reusing its '60s-era advertisements urging drinkers to "Go For the Gusto" and simple maroon and gold packaging, marked with fanciful script.

The Woodridge, Ill.-based company wants the brew to go national but is taking a slow approach, reintroducing it first in places like the Midwest where the beer was popular.

Hearing from Schlitz-thirsty consumers prompted Pabst to revive the brand, Kotecki said. A malt-liquor form of Schlitz has been available for years in cans. But fans say it's not the same.

The brew became a top-seller, Jurgensen said, after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 wiped out its competitors. It was the world's best-selling beer from 1903 until Prohibition in 1920, and regained the crown in 1934 until the mid-1950s. That's when a strike by Milwaukee brewery workers interrupted production and made way for others, like St. Louis' Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc., to eat into Schlitz' market share. That company, which makes Budweiser and Bud Light, has held the top spot to this day.

Before it vanished, the beer changed — for the worse. According to Jurgensen, considered by Pabst to be the foremost "Schlitzstorian": First, brewery control shifted from immediate family members to more distant relatives, who wanted to expand the business. With demand high, the new owners wanted to make more, so they shortened the fermenting process. And they let customers know it through heavy marketing. There were also quality control issues for barley, so the beer went flat quickly. Customers associated the flatness with the quickened brewing time, and they weren't pleased. To fix the flat problem, the brewers added a seaweed extract to give the beer some foam and fizz. But after sitting on the shelf for three or four months, the extract turned into a solid, meaning drinkers got chunky mouthfuls.

And then, the biggest of errors.

"They decided not to pull their product off the shelf," Jurgensen said. "They decided to weather the storm and sell that product. That's the worst possible mistake they could have made."

Floaters? Flat beer? It was all too much for drinkers to swallow.

And by 1981 the Schlitz brewery closed. The owners sold the brand to the Stroh Brewery Co. in Detroit in 1982, which eventually sold some of its lines to Pabst.

The Schlitz revival is bittersweet for the former brewing capital of the U.S., which has seen its heritage slip away.

Beer was once brewed at about 100 places in Milwaukee, Jurgensen said. The city was home to names like Pabst, Blatz and Miller Brewing. Those first two are long gone, their former breweries now an abandoned site awaiting redevelopment and a condo complex.

And Miller is leaving too. This summer it became MillerCoors LLC in a joint venture with Molson Coors Brewing Co. The headquarters will move about 90 miles south to Chicago, though Miller says it'll keep jobs and breweries in Milwaukee.

Miller, coincidentally, brews Schlitz for Pabst under a contract at its east coast facilities. Kotecki said he hopes to eventually have the brand brewed back in Milwaukee, once some changes at breweries in the city are made.

Kotecki wouldn't disclose sales figures for Schlitz but said they are considerably smaller than for the company's top-seller, Pabst Blue Ribbon. In Milwaukee, it's at about 75 locations, including bars and liquor stores, though that'll grow when more is made.

John Thielmann, 55, of Milwaukee, says his first sip of the new Schlitz sent him back decades. He remembered being a teenager — drinking underage, he noted — spending summers with family on Druid Lake, about an hour from Milwaukee.

But when the formula changed, he started getting headaches after two or three sips, so he stopped drinking Schlitz.

Thielmann, who works at a liquor store in suburban Elm Grove, said he was confident the new formula wouldn't fail him. He figured Pabst had put in enough effort that they'd get the old formula back.

They did.

"That first sip was like 'I remember this. This is right,'" he said.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: ManianFH]
    #8730189 - 08/05/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mickdawg666 said:
They also want to create a following among younger drinkers who want to know what grandma and grandpa drank.

Did that line seem strange to anyone else. A marketing campaign based upon getting fucked up like your grandparents?

Curiously enough though I'd kind of like to try it. I've heard so many jokes made about Schlitz I'd like to get them first hand.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: ManianFH]
    #8730527 - 08/05/08 06:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

PBR is ambrosia to Hipsters, so why would Pabst Brewing market a similar beer to a demographic it already owns? 

:shrug:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: MrBump]
    #8730611 - 08/05/08 07:09 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thecornking said:
PBR is ambrosia to Hipsters

You and I must know very different Hipsters!  The ones I know are into local microbrews.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: Entropymancer]
    #8730687 - 08/05/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Really? I thought it was common knowledge that hipsters drink PBR. I have seen many a hipster in Milwaukee and Denver drinking PBR.

You must know some ultra snobby hipsters!

:kinghippo:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8730702 - 08/05/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's probably regional.  In places that don't have dank ass microbrews, hipsters probably drink the same crap beer as anyone else.  But here in the PNW, there's plenty of real beer yiou can buy instead of the national commercial pisswater.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#8730874 - 08/05/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i drink schlitz VSL(very smooth lager - lol liars), 8.5% and one hell of a kick in flavor, however theres one hell of a punch in the face from it also.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #8731335 - 08/05/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

thecornking said:

You and I must know very different Hipsters!  The ones I know are into local microbrews.

PBR is totally in among the hipster crowd here.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8731377 - 08/05/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

PBR is what the punks drink around here. I actually tried the new Schlitz on Sunday and Ive gotta say I noticed the difference right on the spot. The new stuff was not only refreshing but went down smooth.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery

#8731381 - 08/05/08 10:05 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Bizarre.  I didn't realize PBR was "in" with anyone but the redneck crowd.  I thought hipsters were supposed to be snobbish?

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #8731449 - 08/05/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

Entropymancer said:
Quote:

thecornking said:

PBR is totally in among the hipster crowd here.

I definitely thought that was just a local thing here to Phoenix. 

PBR is the official Hipster beer huh?  Guess I'm going back to Milwaukee's Best (not that I ever really left her!)

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: Jadian]
    #8731452 - 08/05/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I will also add that, living in Milwaukee, the return of Schlitz is huge news here.

But, it is Milwaukee.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

#8731468 - 08/05/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Does anything not regarding beer even make the news in Milwaukee?

--------------------

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #8731470 - 08/05/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think Pabst is popular with the hipster crowd because it's cheap but not "commercial".  Have you ever seen any form of advertisement for PBR?  Exactly.  Advertising doesn't exist for the brand.  How's that for a marketing strategy?

Also, I think someone said PBR is a regional thing.  I don't think that's true, at least for major metropolitan areas.  I believe it can be found from New York to Seattle and most everywhere in between.

But this thread is about Schlitz and I gotta say I'm really curious to try it.  I'll try and pick me up a six pack next time at the liquor store.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Schlitz! Back with original recipe [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #8731478 - 08/05/08 10:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8731480 - 08/05/08 10:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:

They're trying to put a statue of "The Fonz" downtown.

But people say it's not "art".

--------------------

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #8731481 - 08/05/08 10:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:

One other thing: Brett Favre.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

#8731570 - 08/05/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

Jadian said:

Where do I sign to make this happen?  Not art my ass!

... and I was thinking about mentioning the Farve but I figured you guys probably didn't even care anymore.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#8731580 - 08/05/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

Jadian said:

Where do I sign to make this happen?  Not art my ass!

You asked...

--------------------

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

#8731625 - 08/05/08 10:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Bronze Fonz!  I FUCKING LOVE IT!

It would be even better if it was really as big as the picture on the page would indicate :lol:

--------------------

Edited by Jadian (08/05/08 10:59 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies