Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVividDreams
Earthling

Starting the process early? Yea or Nay?
    #865624 - 09/05/02 03:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ok Guys and Gals here is my first question!

I have my pressure cooker. I have my Millet. I have my BRF and vermiculite. I have my Rye berries..And I have many jars of all shapes and sizes!!!
But my spores won't be here 'till next week unless Ralph is faster than I would think. (but I hear he ships fast and have much faith in him!)
I have read that you should PC the jars let them cool over night and inoculate them the next day.But,I have also read that it's better to let them sit a week to see if you got the PC'n right and see if there are any contams...What do ya'll think? I guess I could do both but I wanted some more advice on it.
I will be doing alot of different things my FIRST go-around..PF Tek,casing Teks,and building what I hope will be a NICE fruiting chamber. I will do a FULL LOG on it all for yours and my enjoyment. But I just want to get going!!!
I will have MANY more questions that will be valid ones ( I have been lurking around on the net reading about this for well over a year) and I love to get input from people on my progress. Man! This is going to be fun!!!!!

WISH ME LUCK!!! And thanks in advance for the great input and advice I know I will get from you all.. I read it every day here and it never ceases to amaze me!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Starting the process early? Yea or Nay? [Re: VividDreams]
    #865629 - 09/05/02 03:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Do them now, and you're right, if you screwed anything up, it will be obvious in a week.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Starting the process early? Yea or Nay? [Re: VividDreams]
    #865927 - 09/04/02 11:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the objective of growing inside a jar is that the conditions inside the jar eliminate contams and give the mushroom mycelium a head start against contams that may later invade.

the posts that tell you to wait any more time than to make sure that the jars are cool are full of shit. sorry if this sounds like a flame but it is just plain the fact.

if you did not sterilize your jars properly, then they will enter contamnation soon enough. if you did sterilize them properly, then they begin to be subject to the possibility of contamination the moment you have taken them out of the heat.

your objective is to get the mushroom mycelium to grow and colonize the territory inside the jar, thus excluding the contams from having a chance to set up a colony of their own. once the territory is captured by either mushroom or contam, it is much more difficult for the opposing species to take over allready captured territory.

waiting a week is just giving the contams a one-week head start. contams allready grow faster than mushroom mycelium, so giving them the head start they don't deserve is pointless.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation