Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Started my babies on the eve of new years eve!
    #1183464 - 01/01/03 07:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I did it, started my very own project. I will give you a description of the process I used. I will try to mantain a grow log as well:

Equipment:
1 4.2 quart Pressure Cooker - Fits 5 canning jars
A case (12) 1/2 pint jelly jars, no curve at top
2 2lb bags Uncle Ben's brown rice
roll of duct tape, aluminum foil, and bag of rubber bands
$5 dollar bag of perlite
1 bottle rubbing alcohol
1 old jacket
2 syringes, PF strain water inside (From fanaticus.com)

Of the two syringes I recieved, both were sterile, but after about a month it appears that one syringe has contaminated. The old jacket is cut into a square to lay at the bottom of the pressure cooker, so jars don't come in direct contact with the bottom. The rest of the jacket is spread out on the counter as a place for PC'd jars to cool on.

Began boiling less than half a bag of the 2lb rice, rice cooked till it was nice and fluffy, a little bit dry and somewhat pasty for first batch. Filled five jars of rice, made sure that the rice was not compacted too much together and is broken up. 1/2-3/4 inch space left from lid of jar and rice, which was wiped and filled with a top layer of perlite. Jars have 3 holes poked into them for incocculation. Jars are taped and pressure cooked for 40 minutes.

While the first batch cooled, second serving of rice was cooked, using more water this time, appears to be less pasty than last batch. Jars prepared the same way as last batch, but one jar is given extra water, and perlite is mixed in with the rice. Jars are pressure cooked after second batch cools down. Unfortunatly, had to leave, and instructed freind on how to innoculate jars. This was a mistake. The good syringe was sterilized with a hunk of paper towel balled up and soaked with alcohol and lit, worked well in trial with bad syringe, entire needle glowed orange. However, too much spore water was used, and only 6 jars were inocculated with the good syringe. Remaining four were inocculated with bad syringe, with instructions to quarantine from the good batch. We'll hope that against the odds they will survive, but they are written off as a loss.

Well, if you have read through, let me know how you think I did! I tried to use the 9er tek as my main tek, because vermiculite couldn't be obtained, and perlite was used as a substitue for the barrier between holes and rice... I realized that perlite may not work as well, so I laid it on a lil thicker than average, but not much.

Some pointers for newbs: Learn to pressure cook before hand! If you use the model I did, turn the gas all the way up and wait for the black metal thing to start jigglin around, then turn it down some. Just make sure it doesn't start rocking violently. It should jiggle just a lil bit throughout the cooking time.

The reason the second syringe may have contam'd was because it was kept at room temp for about a month, then for about a week and a half it was stuck in my freinds car, meaning it froze and thawed a couple of times. (That's bad, mmmkay?)

All in all jars looked ok, if growth doesn't start in the next five days, then we may have to start over again.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Started my babies on the eve of new years eve! [Re: biglo]
    #1183521 - 01/01/03 07:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

GJ.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation