Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecactus
journeyman
Re: Any Way to Fight Cobweb Mold?
    #85872 - 05/27/00 11:10 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

SpaceFarmer:

I'm not really sure that this belongs in the Advanced Cultivation forum... perhaps the regular Mushroom Cultivation forum is more appropriate.

Anyway, I'd recommend doing a search of the message boards for the keywords "cobweb mold." You should come up with a bunch of threads to get you going...

In short, I think spraying the casing with a H202 solution should help...

good luck
c

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Any Way to Fight Cobweb Mold? [Re: cactus]
    #85874 - 05/27/00 11:36 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I debated as to whether to post to regular cultivation or advanced. I did a few searches before I posted and came up with suggestions for preventing cobweb mold but none for fighting mold that has already established itself. I do have several years of growing experience. I am currently growing on rye and compost, but I have used quite a few different substrates in the past. It seems to me that my problems stem from sterilizing the casing layer instead of pasturizing.

OfflineMycelium5150
Check theDate!!!!
    #85875 - 05/27/00 12:04 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Well,
You said whisp, you most likely dont have the web. Just let it grow and see, if its the web you will know. Also equador has a very whispy mycelium when it colonizes the casing. Just grow it, its teh only way to find out for sure.

--------------------
Mad skills, you know this!!!

I am here to Myth Bust

Anonymous

#85876 - 05/27/00 01:54 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, it is definitely the evil web. This has been the bane of my entire casing experience. It is odd. I understood the problem when I lived in Florida, but, since moving out west, my contamination problems have been greatly reduced. I have opened jars of uncolonized grain under regular household conditions with no contamination. Now, with my first casing, the cobweb is back. I am going to try the vodka technique for my next batch of casing mix, but I am thinking that maybe I should just pasturize instead. The sterilizing just seems to get me into trouble.

------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird get wired.

Anonymous

#85878 - 05/28/00 04:36 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Well, as per The Mushroom Cultivator, I covered the areas of the casing layer that showed cobweb mold with baking soda and patched the areas where the mycelium was poking through with fresh casing mix. I also increased the fresh air flow to help combat the stagnant air pockets. As of yet, I have not seen a recurrence of the contmination. With a little luck, I should see the mycelium poking back through in the next couple of day. I hope I can win this battle.

------------------

Anonymous

#85879 - 05/31/00 12:31 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Moe, I have brought up that topic before about beating mold. It looks like I might go the ozinator route by Alien to reattempt casing. All my casings get attcked by the vile green mold. It's horrible to watch 2 months of preparation and work to get shot in the butt. I switched back to regular straight up PF tek and now average around 45g dry weight per 10 cakes. That's fine for my needs, but I really want to get a good casing down. I had a casing of Ecuadors that produced only 3 massive (4g dry each) sporocarps and no abhorts. The green mold then hit me hard. It's no use fighting it with a sharp knife and a lighter.

I'm pretty sure it was eating the 50/50 soil vermicultie casing first, and then went on to the mycelium network. I let it grow in a separate container to study it's growth. (WARNING! the green mold is very toxic, make sure to wear a mask and gloves!)

It doesn't seem to grow like mycelium. It strecthes out along what looks like rhizommorphic strands, and then "balls" up. It continues going until the entire casing looks like mycelium with pockets of green mold throughout, and then it covers the surface with bulbous green/fuzzy matter.

Well I thought that the green mold eats the mycleium, so what can eat the green mold without hurting the myclium? I was thinking a symboitic "mesh" of mold and mycelium that grows with the casing, attacking green mold and not harming the mycelium so normal fruiting will occur. Kind of a booster for mushroom defenses.

I have been purposefully letting stuff around my room get moldy, and then making a mold juice of different types. I then innoculate sterile jars (straight PF) and watch the results.

RESULTS
1. Some molds stop growing when they touch each other and grow dormant.

2. One overtakes the other, as in pushing back the line where one mold is growing until the other overgrows the jar.

3. They mesh together and live happily side by side and then (A) nothing happens (B) one wins over, and only one color is present.

I think number 3B is the key to stopping harmful mold, but right now my experimentation with mold and mushroom mycelium is kinda slow. I still have no luck with finding one that stops green mold or "eats" it, but I think I'm close. (Something growing on tea bags I haven't seen before, it's yellowish/orange) The problem is, finding one that meshes with mycleium and eats green mold at the same time, and at the same time is not harmful to humans.

I just think it will be easier to make an ozanator.

Any input?

Anonymous

#85880 - 05/31/00 02:49 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Here's an interesting side note. There were four quart jars of 50/50 casing mix sterilized at the same time. One week later, and the two jars that had been opened both show cobweb mold contamination. The jars were open for a relatively short period of time and were then resealed. It seems that the sterilized mix is extremely susceptible to contamination. Either that or the surrounding environment is an absolute breeding ground for cobweb mold. I rather doubt that though. We shall see if experiments with pasturization and/or the vodka tek yeild similar results. The casing layer treated with baking soda has shown no further signs of contamination and continued mycelial colonization.

------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #85881 - 06/04/00 06:43 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

The easiest way to fix it is to soak the casing with H2O2 prior to covering the mycelium pieces.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinekeyzar
journeyman
    #85882 - 06/04/00 06:59 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

what strain are you useing i had a b+ cake get a green mold last year and then the b+ mycelium seemed to eat the green shit up but whenever i get the green mold with any other strain the green always wins but i have only grown the b+ that one time so i dont know if the b+ wins every time or not maybe ill do a few test jars next month and see if i can introduce the green shit to a few seperate strains and monitor the outcome

Anonymous

#85883 - 06/05/00 10:59 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

As a matter of fact, it is B+. The syringe was old, and all the growth was very cottony. That is probably why it has not completely colonized the casing layer. The same B+ spawn was used to inoculate compost on which it became very rhizomorphic. The compost spawn is running the casing at amazing speed. Since treating the casing with baking soda, there has been no recurrence of the cobweb mold. :biggrin:

------------------
"It never got weird enough for me."

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #85884 - 06/05/00 12:36 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

mjshroomer here,

Funny, I also have a similar mold in a pocket in one of my tereriums. Rich Gee of Mycot says it is a yeast mold and all I have to do is cut it away. I usually use a knife which I lkysol and let the lysol evaporate and thean I cut away the mold which looks like a grayish colored cobweb.

I need to buyy batteri9es for my camera so I will try to take a picture. I have pinners coming up today after planting this batch of Angkor Wat cubies on the 21st of May.

mj

Anonymous

#85885 - 06/05/00 01:40 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I think one of my big problems was inadequate airflow if that is what you mean by a pocket in your terrarium. I went by The Mushroom Cultivator and dusted the mold with some baking soda. Any powder with a high pH will help, but baking soda is the easiest to find. Since I have gone to pasteuriztion over sterilization and used the baking soda, I have not seen hide nor hair nor web of that cursed mold.

------------------
"It never got weird enough for me."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder