Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Loc: Another Realm
Pasteurizing change?...need opinions/advice
    #843689 - 08/26/02 09:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OK, so in my current situation it is not possible for me to pasteurize the amounts of straw/poo AND let it drain for 24 hours or overnight or whatever. Sooooooo, what i was thinkin was I could use a plastic garbage bag or some other thing that would be water tight, place that in the pot of 170 degree water, pasteurize it, then add whatever water is needed to get the water content right. This would eliminate the need for all those pillow cases and the time to wait for it to drain.

Does this sound reasonable cuz I have been thinkin about it for a while now and I cant see any holes in it. Any suggestions/ thoughts/modifications are extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
:tongue:
  Livin comfortably numb, always and forever.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKilla_J
Killa

Loc: over here
Re: Pasteurizing change?...need opinions/advice [Re: Cubies4Me]
    #843744 - 08/26/02 09:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

As far as I know, straw really needs to be soaked or pasteurized in water. Just wetting it won't get enough moisture content into the straw. As far as poo, I'm guessing it works the same as compost. I got my compost to the right water content and then put it in an oven bag. Then I sealed it and cooked it on the oven at 170-175F. It seems to be working fine for me. The way it seems to me, however, is that if you make your poo a little drier than you need it to be, then any extra water from not draining the straw will not cause any problems. I may be wrong, though, as I've never tried this.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Re: Pasteurizing change?...need opinions/advice [Re: Killa_J]
    #845247 - 08/26/02 08:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

*bump* pretty pretty please someone respond, I am going to die if i dont figure something out in the next few days

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #845326 - 08/26/02 09:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If possible soak your straw (or straw/dung combo) -- overnight in a tub of water, then heat to around 170F for an hour. To cool it quickly, simply dump the whole thing in another tub w/lots of holes in the bottom. It will drain & cool quickly. If you must, to cool it quicker, from that drain tub -- gather it into a garbage bag & set that in the fridge. For a drain tub, the Raccoon uses one of those big ass plastic containersw/handles nurseries keep large shrubs or small tree's in.

Hope that helps? SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
    #845719 - 08/27/02 04:43 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Cubies - my friend never lets her straw drain for 24 hours - more like 2. She doesn't use a pillowcase, either. She uses one of those semi-fine mesh laundry bags (about $4.00 at Walmart). She uses a stock pot - I think it's 8 or 10 gallon size. She puts the laundry bag in the pot, pulling the top drawstring edge out and the whole bag down around the outside of the pot until the bottom of the bag is resting on the inside bottom of the pot. She fills almost to the top with straw - she squishes quite a bit in there - enough for 3 tubs of substrate in boxes that are about 9 x 12, typically 4 - 4.5 inches high. When her straw is in the bag, she pulls the drawstring and then ties a knot in the top of the bag, securing the straw tightly in the lower 2/3 of the laundry bag. She places a large brick on top, covers the straw with hot water, and then slowly raises the temp to 170, using a candy thermometer. Note - be sure your candy thermometer tip is well into the water - she found the top inch or so of water is usually slightly cooler than the middle of the pot. Initially, that error caused her to sterilize, rather than pasteurize. The result? Total failure. The straw colonized, but never fruited. Eventually, it gave up to contams.
Now the good part. When you've finished cooking your straw, pull one of the racks out of your oven and lay it over your sink. She has a double sink and the rack rests on the counter and mid-sink easily. She pours the big pot out over the rack, letting the bag fall out of the pot. As soon as she is able to touch the bag, she lays it sideways, unties the knot, and spreads the bag/straw out over the rack. Within 20 minutes or so, her straw/bag is easy to handle and she kneads the straw, so that the hotter inside straw is shifted around. After doing this 2 or 3 times, her straw is at or close to room temperature. If she is short on time, or someone needs the kitchen, she removes the bag and places it temporarily in a clean fruiting box until she is ready to spawn. If not, she usually spawns after about 2 hours, when the straw is cool to the touch. She did try the pillowcase, but it took way too long to drain/cool that way. As a side note, she has left her straw in the fruiting box for as long as 2 days with no noticeable side effects. She did have to rewet her straw a little - she misted 1:10 h202:h20 lightly on each layer of straw as she layered her substrate/spawn. The results were comparable to batches spawned within a few hours of pastuerization. When moving quickly, she can be out of her kitchen in 3 hours, with no trace that she was ever there. hth

Oops - after checking, my friend's stock pot is 20 quarts, rather than 8 or 10 gallons. Sorry for the bad info.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Edited by babyshroom (08/28/02 04:59 AM)

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#845725 - 08/27/02 04:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by mndfreeze

OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Re: Pasteurizing change?...need opinions/advice [Re: Barbi]
    #846216 - 08/27/02 08:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks very much to everyone who helped me out in this post. i have a pretty good idea of what i am gonna do now.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology