Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Bulk Pasteurization help?
    #1019670 - 11/04/02 12:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was wondering if anyone out here had some thoughts about my problem, I am trying to figure out a way to pasteurize a decent about of compost, enough to fill numerous 11 gallon containers. But the logistics of doing all of that compost on the stove top in batches is unrealistic, in other words it would take days.... Is there a way to do this in an efficent manner? Has anyone tried doing this and had some success? Would some sort of microwave tek be feasible? Let me know if you know of any good teks or have some ideas.

P.S.--this is not scotts 3n1 but unspent organic compost don't know if that will make a difference

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: jelsert]
    #1019690 - 11/04/02 12:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

read the bulk neglect report search for it in grow log forum.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinespewed 4th
Stranger
Loc: south of the north pole
    #1019734 - 11/04/02 01:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--trying to mass produce without the know-how to produce an ounce is not wise and should be reconsidered
--try to produce a good 8 grams using the pf tek
pf tek
--don't be greedy----i've gone down that road [two flats and a broken axle] :confused:

Edited by spewed 4th (11/04/02 01:35 AM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1019770 - 11/04/02 01:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well Bubba,

You better have room, deep pockets, and be a handy dude w/ some know how.

An electric, natural gas or liquid fuel powered high pressure steam generator is where you start. That, and a metal chamber you place the substrate material in. Then pipe the regulated 170 F steam in the bottom & out the top until the content reachs & maintains that temp for 60 to 90 minutes.

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #1019882 - 11/04/02 02:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you have enough space to do it safely, it should be possible to pasteurize the material by packing it into a chickenwire holder (make yourself), and using a rope lever (make yourself) lower this down into a water-filled metal chamber (50 gallon drum, etc. may be possible to scavange), which is being heated by a small, well managed fire (must burn at an even rate) until the proper temperature is maintained. This would not be easy, but it might be a feasible alternative to an expensive and extensive mushroom farm setup. It would help to have a thorough understanding of mushroom cultivation at all stages, as well as an ability to improvise. Bulk neglect and its variations are probably the best methods at your disposal if you must do things indoors. A person with proper knowledge, experience, and care can achieve great yields with a small amount of spawn.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: bowling-name]
    #1019981 - 11/04/02 04:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A "fire"....LOL.

One of those big outdoor propane gas burners would work fine. But, all of that is a PITA (pain in the ass). Wet manure is HEAVY, smelly & messy. You going to discover, it is about like attempting to pound nails with your forehead. It ain't fun & you will only try it once.:smirk:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: SixTango]
    #1020596 - 11/04/02 12:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Pain in the ass for sure.
If you want to make it a little easier, use your existing hot water heater as a heat source. I described it pretty well in bulk neglect, as well as in seperate write ups. search for the keywords and you may find the posts dedicated to simple home bulk pasteurization without the need for barrels, burners or outdoors even.
Good luck.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinekayaman9
enthusiast
Loc: windy city
Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: mycofile]
    #1021834 - 11/04/02 07:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, we thought about doing something along the lines of your bulk neglect Myco. We just haven't had that great of luck with pasteurization yet. We want to do the oven tek but thats out of bounds right now. We've definitely got the know how to do this kind of project but just need to practice more on the pasteurizing. The compost alone is really nice but after we pasteurize it is pretty muddy even 24 hrs after. Thinking of adding straw to the compost to make it a little more aired out though. Also the compost smells like an outhouse after pasteurizing so I'm wondering if it is even ready yet, It might need to be dried some more. Anyway, thanks for all of the replies. peace

Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
    #1022745 - 11/05/02 12:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey thanks for your advice tango, I guess kayaman beat me to the reply but yeah we definitly are up to the challange, but there are a few rules that we have to observe.....limiits more like. We pretty much have the ovan tek, and the water bath tek, with the water bath being a little unfavorable (smell). Outside things are kinda unreasonable to boot. Seems like there might be a microwave tek? Herd some people talking about it and might give that a shot, thanks for your ideas, tango, myco.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1023690 - 11/05/02 11:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This is the EXACT reason why commercial mushroom producers COMPOST their bulk substrate material properly (it pasturizes itself), then often STEAM heat a whole room full of compost to 140 - 150 F for a few hours. To insure the job is done, before they use it.  :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1024743 - 11/05/02 04:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, BOING! I see the problem now, water pasteurizing compost isn't a very good or effective thing to do. You will loose nutrients and screw up the moisture content massively.

You can steam pasteurize by rigging up basically a phase 2 room using a large barrel and a steam humidifier. Basically, build it like the express composter made with a cooler, a dimmer and a steam humidifier. Keep an eye on your temps and make sure they are even throughout.

You'll have to improvise, becaus nobody that does that has pulicly posted plans for it. Just read the plans for the composter and you can figure it out. Then post plans of how you made it work of course...

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

#1025873 - 11/05/02 11:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

With this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2067303341

a metal garbage can , a thermometer and a chicken wire basket you could take over the world.
:laugh:

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: mycofile]
    #1026384 - 11/06/02 01:39 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

This guy on a bar stool  :smirk:  told a foaf, who told me..........................

Think an all metal dumpster. The smaller ones, like you see behind small corner stores.

That and and a large electric space heater and/or steam generator can be made into a big ass bulk pasturizer.

Retro fit with grates & swing open doors. You can do pick up truck loads at a time.

At least that is what that guy said, LOL............. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblebrowho4d
The Brody Who?What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Incoherent
    #1026431 - 11/06/02 01:50 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

To heat up a drum of water you have to do like they cook pigs in the country.
Weld a 1 foot by 3 inch steel pipe on the side of the barrel towards the bottom.
Heat up that pipe instead of the whole barrel it will save you lots of time, so you won't be waiting for the temp to rise all day.

Buy a whole lot of those mapp gas bottles at lowes 10 of them should be sufficient.

Good Luck

--------------------
THIS PROCEDURE HAS NOT BEEN VALIDATED FOR STERILITY HOWEVER THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SPRAYED WITH DUSTER.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: browho4d]
    #1026446 - 11/06/02 01:55 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Sounds like you seen a pig peeled, LOL................6T  :tongue:

--------------------

Invisiblebrowho4d
The Brody Who?What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Incoherent
    #1026484 - 11/06/02 02:06 AM (14 years, 30 days ago)

Hell no thats gross shit.
Hillbillies man hillbillies I learn this from those wonderful dumbass hillbillies, in my parts.

--------------------
THIS PROCEDURE HAS NOT BEEN VALIDATED FOR STERILITY HOWEVER THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SPRAYED WITH DUSTER.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: browho4d]
    #1027685 - 11/06/02 12:25 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

in the event that someone actualy went through and made a bulk pasturiser from a dumpster i would have to agree about not directly heating the dumpster itself, mostly because the welding the use in putting them together sucks. if you heated it too hot too fast the seam would break. never experienced this first hand but i've seen sooo many dumpsters that where junked just because the where set down too rough after being emptied.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: canid]
    #1027877 - 11/06/02 01:36 PM (14 years, 30 days ago)

That same fella told my foaf you pipe the hot stream/air into the bottom of it, under the grate you install. The dumpster itself, is not heated. Just it's content & then only into the 140 --to -- 160 F range. 6T

--------------------

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1039096 - 11/09/02 05:18 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

The neighborhood armadillo said he could get a wallpaper steamer at a local rental place. What do y'all think of a steamer and a metal drum? Should the 'dillo put the steam nozzle in the top, bottom or side for maximum efficiency/effectiveness?
I guess he'd need something to catch the drainage/condensation????

>>Oh yeah, he wants to know if he should lower the temp to 170ish, or keep it at 200ish?

Edited by On_the_Down-Low (11/09/02 05:21 PM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Bulk Pasteurization help? [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1039257 - 11/09/02 06:45 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

The bottom, like a rice steamer -- only larger (much larger). Steam condenses into water (duhhhhhh), when it touchs someting cooler than it. It can get a little messy, if you don't have a grate & drain.

Dry heat from an electric or gas fired forced air space heater, vented into the bottom will also work.

A hotter temp (like 200 F) is fine for getting bulk up to a the 160 -- 170 range. Then, cool it down to 160 - 170 & maintain that temp for at least 60 minutes. 90 to 120 minutes is preferable.

6T :tongue:

--------------------

Edited by SixTango (11/09/02 06:50 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology