Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
There is no purpose of life without religion(READ)
    #837112 - 08/22/02 11:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

This post is not what it seems, it's about a trip that molded my life (LSD)
I'll make things as short as I can.

My third acid trip was my most intense. At the time I was very young, probably too young, only 14 years old. Anyway, it was my first MIND BOGGLING trip ever. Extremely intense, and my thoughts went crazy.

My thoughts and discussion with my friend jumped from topics discussing: paranormal, society as a whole, religion, aliens, government, conspiracy theories, spirituality, etc.

Finally during a walk when we had pretty much came down , it was morning and it was about 10 hours since we dosed, it hit us both like a ton of bricks, and no message had ever been so clear to me. Life without religion is pointless. What led me to view this so clearly was after analyzing every aspect of life for 10 whole hours non-stop, I realized that everything is perception, and you need some form of guidance.

At the time, I swore it was religion, so did my friend, before this we were both athiest.

Now, many years later I realize it wasn't religion that is needed for true purpose in life, it is SPIRITUALITY. We are all on a spiritual journey, and THIS is what I was supposed to have learned, and now realize.

Anyway, this website pretty much sums up my beliefs and understandings of life...

www.thegreatillusion.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: tekramrepus]
    #837471 - 08/23/02 07:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no its not. We can kill each other and focus on only military. We could take over planets. shit, that would be somethin better than religion. Stop wasting your time in church, whatever, sunday school. be trained into killers. or we can all have mass orgies.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: downforpot]
    #837903 - 08/23/02 10:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Did you even read my post kid?

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
    #837958 - 08/23/02 11:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

good post. The purpose of life how i see it is that the soul desires to realize its full spiritual potential in the body through the relative world were there exsists two oposite polarities, love and fear. fear-illusion, love-ultimate reality. without one you could not experience the other. i believe we have an eternity to do this and its kind of a relaxing feeling. its just one beautiful life after another of tripping and meditating and music and dance. this god guy really trips me out.

last night couldnt stop dancing to the new terminator three theme song- aphex and fatboy slim, check it out, awesome high!!!

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #838160 - 08/23/02 12:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

There is a big, fat difference between Religion and Spirituality.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #838171 - 08/23/02 12:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm thinking if you had another intense LSD experience, your opinion would go back to the former. Many follow spirituality for their own reason. Spirituality doesn't really have a moral structure. The idea of spirituality is a path that certain individuals seek for their own reasons and beliefs. How often do you see an alcoholic or a junkie, get their life together on the basis of spirituality? When an alcoholic, drug addict, or someone at the bottom of the barrel gets their life together based on the belief of something external to the physical world, it will always be religion, not spirituality. I think you were right the first time.

--------------------

Edited by Zahid (08/23/02 12:56 PM)

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #838215 - 08/23/02 01:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Extremely intense, and my thoughts went crazy.

That statement alone suggests your whole realization is bogus, because it's based on crazy thoughts you had while tripping on LSD.

Life without religion is pointless.

I personally don't see why we need a purpose, be it religion, spirituality, or whatever. People who are not satisfied with their lives search for a purpose because they hope to achieve something better in the end. If you have found your "true purpose", then you close yourself off from numerous other possibilies life may bring.

At the time, I swore it was religion, so did my friend, before this we were both athiest. Now, many years later I realize it wasn't religion that is needed for true purpose in life, it is SPIRITUALITY.

You first were COMPLETELY convinced it was religion, what makes you so sure spirituality is the truth now? And do you believe you views will further change in the future?

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: chodamunky]
    #839016 - 08/23/02 08:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

My views are ever changing, I just decided to see the debate I'd get on this board.

What you're misunderstanding, is that when I thought the purpose of life was RELIGION, I was thinking spirituality, but at 14 I didn't know the difference between the two.

Anonymous

#839818 - 08/24/02 06:42 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I personally don't see why we need a purpose....

Everyone has to have meaning in their life, including you. The philosophical ramifications of your simple sentence are far reaching. Perhaps I misunderstood you but I think you are saying that a person can live without seeing an reason for their life. If that is broadly construed then the final verdict is that their life has no value to the point where they do not care to live. Suicide and nihilism walk hand in hand.

On the other hand you may be intimating that no one has to have a grand mission or think that their life involves some mysterious reasons for their existence. I concur with that but I do not agree that any person can have no involvement in their own life. If they do not they will not be here for very much longer.

Cheers,

Anonymous

Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: ]
    #839937 - 08/24/02 08:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Purpose and meaning aren't quite the same thing to some people.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#840438 - 08/24/02 01:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, let's think this through and have the purpose and reason of life mean the same thing, which is essentially your destiny. Where does the purpose of your existence come from? A God or from yourself (assuming you don't consider yourself God of course)?

1. If a God exists, and he wants you to have a purpose in your life, you will find out what it is sooner or later either by His actions or your own discovery.
2. If a God doesn't exist, you create your own purpose, and like I said earlier, you block out all the other possible paths your life may take, and focus on the one single path trying to fulfill your own invented destiny.

Anonymous

#843412 - 08/26/02 04:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I see what you are saying now. My point was that we all create the purpose for our life in various ways. Consider how your equation can easily be turned around.

1. If a God exists, and he wants you to have a purpose in your life, you will find out what it is sooner or later either by His actions or your own discovery.

2. If a God doesn't exist, you create your own purpose, and like I said earlier, you block out all the other possible paths your life may take, and focus on the one single path trying to fulfill your own invented destiny.

1. God exists but you never find out His purpose for your life because you deny His existence.

The one thing that both mistakes have in common is a closed mind. We all need to be open to reason and facts. If we are not we may end up living in fantasy.

I think atheists that are cocksure that God doesn't exist without researching it live in a fantasy world of their own making. I also think that "Christians" who think God exists without questioning His existence live in yet another fantasy world.

I think God exists but at the same time I am open to new facts that prove otherwise. If I remained closed to the non-existence of God and if I never did any research on whether He exists or not how could I be sure I was self-deluded? I don't think I could be sure. I could not live with that kind of doubt.

Cheers,

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#844909 - 08/26/02 06:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

1. God exists but you never find out His purpose for your life because you deny His existence.

Hey I didn't think of that, interesting indeed.

The one thing that both mistakes have in common is a closed mind. We all need to be open to reason and facts.

Yes I agree an open mind is essential, but I have trouble reading the words reason and facts when referring to a God if that's what indeed you are referring to. I personally will not give God the benefit of the doubt and assume he exists, but I will also not deny there is a possibility he does. It doesn't really matter to me either way, and that's why I don't need him to give me a purpose and I won't invent my own destiny as explained earlier.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #845594 - 08/27/02 02:29 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It is so weird to me that people will cast runes, lay out Tarot, stand naked in magic circles surrounded by candles trying to read Latin incantations, read creeps like Rajneesh-Osho, take mushrooms and marvel at common paranormal events, dance in nature as a Great Goddess worship, chant mantras they do not know the meaning and intention of, and think or do practically anything except learn about prayer.

I don't know you, but it is in the proof that one comes to believe. The proof is going to be subjective to each 'experimenter with Truth,' but after even a short time, one will feel that one is 'on to something' - even if only understood as 'white magic' initially. There are four basic types of prayer, but most people think only of their own interests at the beginning, in terms of 'petitionary prayer.' Yes, contrary to Jim Morrison, 'you CAN petition the LORD with prayer.' I wouldn't even be taking the time to write this response if the practice had not become a big part of who I am. Petitionary prayer for VERY specific things in my mind have come to pass. Chance just cannot account for the complex variables involved. Sometimes the very Truth of the matter makes me want to run around shouting like the guy in the back of BE HERE NOW, 'It's all true - listen...!!!' If you never make the time for this experiment, you will be short-changing yourself in the most profound way - now and later.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #848781 - 08/28/02 10:19 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, people don't have a good idea of where spiritual thought came from in the first place. I beleive primitive humans started to try and explain spiritual thoughts after comming across psychoactive plants and mushrooms. And then like everything can become poluted, and thats why we have all these religious people missing the point, or taking religion too literally.

Offlinenezshoo
<--- SOMA

Loc: California
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #848953 - 08/28/02 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

There are many religions in life but in the end we all worship the same entities if you do choose to follow a religion.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #849791 - 08/28/02 07:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

exactly ! Your on to something my friend! Your theory goes hand in hand with Terence Mckenna's. He believed that spirituality originated from psyho-active plants.

Personally , I believe that humans, every since we became homo sapiens, started having spiritual thoughts pop into our heads. Well, Mckenna believes its psycho-active chemicals that made us have consciousness.

Heres a nas quote for your second part of the paragraph

"religion misoverstood, it's poison" - Nas "Poison"

yes, people have began to take religion too literal

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #849792 - 08/28/02 07:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

exactly ! Your on to something my friend! Your theory goes hand in hand with Terence Mckenna's. He believed that spirituality originated from psyho-active plants.

Personally , I believe that humans, every since we became homo sapiens, started having spiritual thoughts pop into our heads. Well, Mckenna believes its psycho-active chemicals that made us have consciousness.

Heres a nas quote for your second part of the paragraph

"religion misoverstood, it's poison" - Nas "Poison"

yes, people have began to take religion too literal

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
    #851350 - 08/29/02 03:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

...and THIS is what I was supposed to have learned, and now realize.

theres a large bumper sticker i had on an old vehicle it read"

THIS IS

indeed, this is, and this is what it is all about...

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

Offlinejayson
earthling
Male
Loc: Vic Australia
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: goatywoaty]
    #851520 - 08/29/02 05:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

To be religious is to follow some one else's path.
To be spiritual is to follow your own path.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology