Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Reincarnation vs. "we are all one"
    #2584182 - 04/20/04 09:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So how do you reconcile statements like "we are all one" with the theory of reincarnation? If individuality is an illusion and we and every other part of the universe is, in our truest form, pure white light and/or love, then how is it that we are actually little individual units of soul that inhabit organic bodies whenever the chance arises?

We're like bubbles in a stream that form and then when we die the bubble pops and we rejoin the stream. This is a nice metaphor to explain a pretty common belief the world over. I'm sure there are lots of people here who have experienced ego death and had the "unity experience" correct? When the bubble in the stream pops, it rejoins the stream, but what are the chances that the same water molecules that formed the bubble are going to find eachother and rejoin once again a mile downstream?

The universe is a singularity of pure information/love or whatever you feel like calling it. Does anybody believe we are all one and also believe in reincarnation? If so, I have a problem with your beliefs and I offer you the chance to be heavily scrutinized as you explain how these beliefs don't contradict one another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2584277 - 04/20/04 09:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anybody believe we are all one and also believe in reincarnation?

i do. we are all one, in the sense that everything is a part of us and us a part of everything else. we still hold our individuality, that is our soul, but we are all a part of the spirit of god that is in everything.

Because of reincarnation, WE have lived many lives, so we arent who we think we are now, because we have forgotten for the purpose of growing in this life, but when we die we will return to the source still holding our individuality, but we are just not who we think we are in this life now...you will remember when u are totally free of a body of who you really are, bringing with you all that you have learned from this life your living now. You reincarnate to take on challenges to help grow in your love. Everything is a test of your love, and we take on many different lives in different bodies to test this love. You might hate gays in this life, but then in the next one decide to take on a gay life just to experience what it is like having to take all the shit gays take, how will your love hold up to all of that? sounds lame now, but without an ego it wont sound so stupid.

Within, the most horrible human that ever lived is greater than any prophet that was in a body ever could be(because they were in a body), we are much greater than we realize we are in these bodies, we are powerful spiritual beings of light(not like a flash light, it is the light of life, it is the light of which everything exsists from, it is a light that is alive and heals, it is the light of God.

i know i suck at explaining, i appologize, that is my piece on the matter though, good question man, id like to see what others have to say.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2584300 - 04/20/04 09:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don't believe in "reincarnation." I just believe in "incarnation," meaning that we are all the same substance taking different forms, and when we die, the form goes, but the substance remains.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#2584856 - 04/20/04 11:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: ]
    #2584936 - 04/21/04 12:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i was talking about this with my mom once, and we were sitting near a little fountain made of many layers of thin rock. as the water bubbeld out of the top it ran down all the sides and seperated into thousands of tiny drops before pooiling at the bottom and being pumped back out the top, this time seperating in different places...

i see this as a metophor. We are all one, but in the process of incarnation we are temporarily divided into these incarnations. At death we return to the source, and from that source new incarnations are created. But we all come from, and return to, the same source.

Dont know if that made sense...
peace

Anonymous

Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2586612 - 04/21/04 01:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

made sense to me man, and i agree. I also think it is our very own choice to incarnate as well, no one makes us/made us come into a body but ourselves.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2586669 - 04/21/04 01:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So you forced your mom & dad to copulate thus disavowing free will, or is there a long queue on the other side where you get randomly selected parents? "Gee, I hope for a good life this time around. Oh, shit! That guy is raping that woman in the alley - eek! Here I go!"

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: Swami]
    #2586758 - 04/21/04 02:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

lol

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2587712 - 04/21/04 07:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Pharmakos, your view is the one I believe, and I still don't see how that belief could be reconciled with reincarnation.

kottonmouth.. you believe that we all come from one source, but you also believe that we retain our individuality? So at what point do we leave that source, or singularity? Where do we go when we die? How can we think without a body? My problem with your point of view is its complexity. Lots of complexity, no explanation of anything.

What's the point of life?

To learn.

What's the point of learning?

uh...

why?

blah blah blah

why?

blah blaj blah

why?

blah blah blah

I don't like the above process involved in your explanation.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2587763 - 04/21/04 07:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
Where do we go when we die?

When I was little, I thought we went to "heaven".  I think "heaven" is just some kind of metaphor for where God is, where spirits reside, in some kind of different dimension that we can't comprehend.

Quote:

How can we think without a body?

We don't think with our bodies.  We are spirits, using our physical brains through which to run our thoughts.  The brain is like a CPU.  Some of us have fast CPUs, some are slow.  Imagine the things we could understand, comprehend, if our thoughts weren't limited by the physical, imperfect brain.

Quote:

What's the point of life?

To learn.

What's the point of learning?

My thinking on this is that earth is a place where the lessons are hard, but if we learn them, then God can use us for a greater purpose in whatever world it is we go to as spirits, when we die. 

We are all made of the same material, whatever you want to call it...love, energy...but we are all separate entities.  We take form in our physical bodies here on earth to learn lessons that we will take with us, after we die. 

Just my thoughts.  Don't yell at me.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2587871 - 04/21/04 08:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

" how do you reconcile statements like "we are all one" with the theory of reincarnation?"

not say I BELIEVE this, but I think I can supply a THEORY.

being one could mean that we are all one consciousness. that we are a part of god in order to eperience the infinite amount of situations occuring. and if you really think about it, our essential nature is the same for all of us. that is, awareness. besides, what good is being god if you can do anything you want? wouldn't it get boring after a while. lonely even? we are here to take "a vacation" from ourselves, and isn't it odd what most of us want is what god has. whether it's power, knowledge, love, or a host of other things, this is what we work towards. to be with god again.

can I ask anyone on this board, don't you feel something is missing? something that should be with us but isn't?

we can communicate with each other, and futhermore, we know we are communicating while we do it. we know what communication is.

now with this simple view of what "we are all one" talks about, then reincarnation is really far fetched is it? one doesn't inherently cancel out the other. they can both be there, or both cannot be there.

just some thoughts...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Anonymous

#2588461 - 04/21/04 10:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I don't like the above process involved in your explanation. 

lol, sorry, its not my obligation to have your explaination, i was only saying what i think.  the shit i think never usually has a good enough explaination, aint that some shitty shit  :shake:  im really sorry.

also when i do try to come up with an explaination, its never good enough anyways, fuck it, ya know?

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: Swami]
    #2588574 - 04/21/04 10:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think he was maybe trying to say that the 'soul' world is somewhat 'better' in a way then this eartly reality we are in. A soul is in its permanent state after death, because when we die we remain the same spirit unless we live a life to experience things and grow. So when a spirit desires to evolve to a higher being, for 'good' or 'evil' they can move freely into the earthly realm upon birth..... but I wonder myself if they get to choose which body and family they move into? I would say deffinatly not, because if you got to pick your life you would pick the fine one... so that is why people get born into shety lives, so they are 'forced' to either face 'thier' 'problems', or sink deeper.

Anonymous

Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2588779 - 04/21/04 11:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

but I wonder myself if they get to choose which body and family they move into?

yes. you do choose the body you enter, you are not forced to do anything. what may seem to you to be a shitty life, is a great opportunity to grow for another, and what may seem to be a fine life for you, may be very hard for another soul with its prior experiences. You choose the life that will offer you the best tests for YOU. You cant blame god for anything, all you can do is thank yourself.

we are gods, because we are a part of god. we are the source because we are a part of the source. whatever the source is, we must be too, because we are a part of it.

how could it be any other way than how we personally would have wanted it to be????? we arent slaves...all god does is love us and want to see us grow in his/our love. its all about the love, its so cool once you realize(remember!) the greatness of it, what it can accomplish, what you can do with it...man its just AWESOME

Anonymous

#2588843 - 04/21/04 11:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2588852 - 04/21/04 11:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2596152 - 04/23/04 10:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I suppose the we are all one thing doesn't negate the possibility of reincarnation. Within the all-encompassing one-ness of the universe there would have to be room for individual souls. Of course, this doesn't mean we have souls flying around possessing unborn fetuses, necessarily, and my quest to disprove reincarnation doesn't end here, or with this argument. More coming sssssooooooooon

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #2596534 - 04/24/04 12:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

you guys should stop speculating, go practice your OBE skills and just find out for yourselves.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2596982 - 04/24/04 02:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
you guys should stop speculating, go practice your OBE skills and just find out for yourselves.

And then have to speculate that we are in fact astral projecting and not merely deluding ourselves?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Reincarnation vs. "we are all one" [Re: silversoul7]
    #2597000 - 04/24/04 02:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Just because we haven't experienced something doesn't mean that those who say they have are deluded. Does it?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology