Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Casting pearls before Swine
    #794265 - 08/03/02 11:30 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

How many of us here do not openly disclose all we know to all that ask?

May I see a show of hands please?

Thank you.

Why do we not do that? Is it ever because we know the person just wants to argue? How can we tell that? What other reasons might there be?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: ]
    #794408 - 08/03/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #794536 - 08/03/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I am not sure of the point of your post, especially the next line:

Is it ever because we know the person just wants to argue?

ar?gue Pronunciation Key (?rgy)
v. ar?gued, ar?gu?ing, ar?gues
v. tr.
To put forth reasons for or against; debate;It is time to stop arguing tax-rate reductions and to enact them;

To attempt to prove by reasoning; maintain or contend: The speaker argued that more immigrants should be admitted to the country.

Is not putting forth reasons for or against, a large part of a philosophical discussion?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #794580 - 08/03/02 03:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Why do we not do that? Is it ever because we know the person just wants to argue? How can we tell that? What other reasons might there be?

I may choose not to disclose what I know about a certain topic because it appears that the poster is not someone who is willing to have an objective debate about the issues. (e.g., God will cast your soul into hell unless A?B?C!). I feel pretty confident that this person is not really going to be open to anything that I have to say. He may over time and with persuasion, but I?m not always in the mood to calm people down and exercise extreme patience. I also know that challenging some people?s beliefs will just be counter-productive in this particular stage of their development (or so I guess).

And I am not trying to trample on anyone?s core beliefs? like I think you said in a past post, we have all gone through a time when we were struggling to figure out some of these big issues ourselves. It can be pretty emotional for a lot of people, to have the apex of their value system challenged. There are times when I value a person?s happiness over ?truth.?

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Anonymous

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: Swami]
    #795041 - 08/04/02 02:46 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, those are correct definitions. I mean:

"To engage in a quarrel; dispute."

I should have used 'quarrel' or 'fight'.

My point is that I do not always answer questions. I have a variety of reasons for not answering. If the question is too personal, for example.

Cheers,

Anonymous

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: buttonion]
    #795049 - 08/04/02 02:53 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, you understood what I was looking for. Those are a couple of reasons why I don't answer certain questions. People that are looking to quarrel over words are not looking for the truth so why should I engage them? They are in the ego and nothing I say can help them.

Cheers,

Anonymous

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: World Spirit]
    #795053 - 08/04/02 02:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Then how do you interpret Jesus' words, "Cast not your pearls before swine lest they trample them beneath their feet and turn and rend you."?

Cheers,

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
    #795069 - 08/04/02 03:21 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I may hold back "critical, need to know, information" on occasion, but, mostly, that is to be used in possible rebuttals. I find, on occasion, that what I may consider an interesting post, philosophical stance or observation, may not be so well received. As such, why contribute all of the information, when the post may deteriorate into a flame fest?

As I often point out to those responding to one of my, very few, posts; argue the post in question, not the poster.

My interpretation of that verse is: Keep your big mouth shut. What you have to say may be incredibly important, but know the audience you are giving it to and act thusly.

Anonymous

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: mr freedom]
    #795124 - 08/04/02 04:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good points.

Cheers,

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #795234 - 08/04/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: World Spirit]
    #796105 - 08/04/02 03:26 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

one should not cast their pearls before swine...
if i believe in god. and i believe that if god wants me to tell somebody about my religion, then he will bring that person to ask me. yes, we learn from debates, but we also waste good valuable time. time which we could be out helping the homeless, feeding the hungry, careing for the sick, and visiting the imprisoned.

"he who controls his mind and has cut off desire and anger realizes the self." ---The Bhagavad Gita
control your mind, and therefore your tongue, and instead channel your energy towards helping those that truely need help. this forum has actually helped to teach me the true meaning of "do not cast your pearls before swine." when i first came in here and started chatting and argued and fought and got defensive and offensive just like everyone else. now i've realized that it is pointless to sit and type up things that people don't care to hear...when i could be out improving my life and the lives of others by doing the works of God. Love.
now i get on here and i read things, but i've lost my desire to respond to the majority of the topics.
so many people use so many words to explain their "pearls", but as henri-frederic amiel said, "the great artist is the simplifier".
some say that when we debate we learn and build knowledge, but knowledge isn't everything, indeed, if knowledge does not liberate the self from the self, then ignorance is better than such knowledge.
so basically, i feel that until there are no more people to go out and care for and help, then we have no right to waste time bickering and argueing over stupid little things. peace braas.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #796147 - 08/04/02 03:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes Jesus was a dick (or at least whoever wrote down what he "said" was a dick).

If one has pearls to cast... make sure the swine get theirs too. Sure, most of them won't distinguish the pearls from the rest of the slop, but there's that slight chance that one might.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: Sclorch]
    #796531 - 08/04/02 07:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

if there is that one swine that might understand what the pearl is, then God will reveal that to you, and you will know that that particular swine is something more. someone worth talking too. someone willing to listen.
you will know. people are easy to read, if you have eyes to see them, and ears to hear them. but most hear with deaf ears, and see with eyes that are blind.
cast not your pearls before swine means don't waste your time with people not willing to listen, for there are many many people who are thirsting for what you have to say. speak first to them, and when there are no more of those, then turn to the proverbial swine.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #796565 - 08/04/02 07:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Some swine I've talked @ have decided to listen and stop being swine. I get a few of those every year.
common occurance (guy or girl):
They're dating some asshole who treats them like shit. I point out that their significant other is an asshole (or cunt, whatever) and that they shouldn't put up with that kind of bullshit. Most usually take it the wrong way at first (the swine!). But I still harp on them when I get a chance. After awhile (the time varies), some of them begin to understand that I'm not just being a dick for the sake of 'being a dick'. Most that have realized that have confronted their other and have either got them to straighten up or they've just cut their ties with 'em.

My peer group has a lot of this kind of shit going on... so I run into it all the time.

--------------------

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: Casting pearls before Swine [Re: Sclorch]
    #796604 - 08/04/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

bravo brother! but if they listen to you at all, then are they truely swine in the first place man? or is God bringing them to you for just that purpose? unless you don't believe in a higher power of some sort.
you can usually tell if a person is going to listen or not...peace braa.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #797402 - 08/05/02 08:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Are they really listening at first if I have to repeat myself up to 20 times?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder