Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Is overpicking a problem?
    #772227 - 07/24/02 03:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: ]
    #772796 - 07/24/02 08:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I know in Humbolt county, many many people know about picking shrooms. To get some you really have to be on the ball before every one else picks them. Its a find to just get one that is a few inches big, with the cap not even up all the way. Its kinda sad.

However every winter the shrooms are there...even if the caps arent even old to mature before they are picked

I dont think people realize the life of a mushroom, what causes it to grow there, why it does and HOW it does. If people were more aware, seems like they would get let them grow to maturitiy at least.

Then you got the problem if : You let them grow, someone else will pick it before you and then you got no mroe. Humans are greedy mofos...

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: angryshroom]
    #773395 - 07/24/02 12:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

As far as I know...there are only a handful of people in Ottawa that actually know that magic dwells here..even less know what to look for or can even find them. I never over pick a lawn...lefty about 100 on the lawns yeasterday...some small, some big, and some past their prime...I make sure there will be more come next rain. In the fall when I am going after gyms...I do the same, I almost always run into a few past their prime too...so the spores have already gotten out their. Another thing I do is alway take some prints, and release them again in the wild...or man made environment...in new locations, in an attemp to spread the joy.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #773426 - 07/24/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hay St Thomas I'm looking for at a farm around Perth let you known how it goes-then you can take a run down the road and hunt anytime.

Offlineopus
freelancegynecologist

Loc: gulf coast,usa
Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: shaggymane]
    #774067 - 07/24/02 04:59 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

alot of people hit the field i go to ,but i can always get the pan cyans after heavy rains cause the other pickers olny pick the cubes ,which i find very little of.
I went at like 5:30 a.m this morning and a whole car load of kids were leaving as i pulled up, i thought the pickins would be slim but i found about 40 blue meanies and about 8 cubes.
so if the field is big enough you'll usually find something.
peace

--------------------
My body is light and I am eternal

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #774533 - 07/24/02 08:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have to be carefull in my country - take a look at this!

Regulations to picking mushrooms in the Republic of Slovenia

Definitions:
- picking mushrooms from added list is not allowed
- in central teritories of national and regional parks, and in natural and forest reserves is prohibited picking all sort of mushrooms.
- destroying of mushrooms and mycellium is guilty
- one person can pick two (2) kilogram of mushrooms per day
- mushrooms is necessity to clean in the forest
- the basket is only allowed thing for carry of mushrooms
- forbidden is picking very young mushooms
- carry fresh mushrooms out of Slovenia is not allowed
- carry preparing mushrooms out of Slovenia is allowed with bill
The enforcement of the above stated regulations shall be ensured by the police, customs-officers, authorised inspectors and wardens. Violations of the regulation shall be penalised by fines of at least 250$ for minor infringements and at least 2500$ for major violations.

List of endangered species:
1 Aman?ta caes?rea (Scop.: Fr.) Pers.
2 Aman?ta ovo?dea (Bull.: Fr.) Link
3 Aman?ta strobilif?rmis (Paul.)
4 Art?myces pyxid?tus (Pers.: Fr.) J?l.
5 Bolet?nus c?vipes (Klotzsch: Fr.) Kalchbr.
6 Bolet?psis leucomel?ena (Pers.: Fr.) Fay.
7 Bol?tus dup?inii Boud.
8 Bol?tus fr?grans Vitt.
9 Bol?tus impol?tus Fr.
10 Bol?tus junqu?lleus (Qu?l.) Boud.
11 Bol?tus r?gius Krbh.
12 Bol?tus tor?sus Fr.
13 Cal?scypha f?lgens (Pers.: Fr.) Boud.
14 Canthar?llus cib?rius var. ameth?steus Qu?l.
15 Canthar?llus lut?scens Pers.: Fr.
16 Catath?lasma imperi?le (Fr.-> Qu?l.) Sing.
17 Chroog?mphus helv?ticus (Sing.) Mos.
18 Cl?thrus r?ber Pers.: Pers.
19 Clit?cybe alex?ndrii (Gill.) Gill.
20 Clit?cybe m?xima (Fr.: Fr.) Kumm.
21 C?prinus pic?ceus (Bull.: Fr.) Gray
22 D?scina parma Breit. & M. Geest. *
23 Faerb?ria carbon?ria (A. & S.) Pouz.
24 Fistul?na hep?tica (Schff.: Fr.) With.
25 Floccul?ria lute?virens (A. & S.: Fr.) Gill.
26 Gomph?dius r?seus (Ness.: Fr.) Gill.
27 G?mphus clav?tus (Pers.: Fr.) Gray
28 G?rodon l?vidus (Bull.: Fr.) Karst.
29 Gyr?mitra escul?nta (Pers.: Fr.) Fr.
30 Gyr?porus cast?neus (Bull.: Fr.) Qu?l.
31 Gyr?porus cyan?scens (Bull.: Fr.) Qu?l.
32 Her?cium Pers.: S.F.Gray (species)
33 Hygrophor?psis ruf?scens (Qu?l.) Sing.
34 Hygr?phorus camaroph?llus (A. & S.: Fr.) Fr.
35 Hygr?phorus capreol?rius (Kalchbr.) Sacc.
36 Hygr?phorus speci?sus Peck
37 Lact?rius lilac?nus (Lasch: Fr.) Fr.
38 Langerm?nnia gig?ntea (Batsch.: Pers.) Rostk.
39 Laricif?mes officin?lis (Vill.: Fr.) Kotl. & Pouz.
40 Lecc?num crocip?dium (Let.) Watl.
41 Lecc?num h?lopus (Rostk.) Watl.
42 Lecc?num thal?ssinum Pil. & Derm.
43 Leucopax?llus macrorh?zus (Lasch) Sacconi & Lazz.
44 Leucopax?llus tr?color (Peck) K?hn.
45 Limac?lla gutt?ta (Pers.: Fr.) K. & M.
46 Lycop?rdon mammif?rme Pers.: Pers.
47 Mut?nus can?nus (Huds.: Pers.) Fr.
48 Neogyr?mitra g?gas (Krbh.) Imai
49 Phaeolepi?ta ?urea (Matt.: Fr.) Mre.
50 Phyll?porus rhodox?nthus (Schw.) Bres.
51 Porphyr?llus porphyr?sporus (Fr.) Gilb.
52 Pulverobol?tus Murrill (species)
53 Rhod?tus palm?tus (Bull.: Fr.) Mre.
54 Rugos?myces c?rneus (Bull.: Fr.) Bon
55 R?ssula rhod?poda Zv.
56 R?ssula seper?na Dup.
57 S?rcodon joe?des (Pass.) Bat.
58 Spar?ssis br?vipes Krbh.
59 Spar?ssis nem?cii Pil. & Ves.
60 Strobil?myces strobil?ceus (Scop.: Fr.) Bk.
61 Su?llus fl?vidus (Fr.: Fr.) Presl
62 Su?llus trident?nus (Bres.) Sing.
63 Trichol?ma ?pium J. Schff.
64 Trichol?ma calig?tum (Viv.) Rick.
65 Trichol?ma col?ssus (Fr.) Qu?l.
66 Trichol?ma foc?le (Fr.) Rick.
67 Trichol?ma goniosp?rmum Bres.
68 T?ber Micheli ex Wiggers: Fr. (species)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: zeronio]
    #774793 - 07/25/02 12:06 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Rats! I was hoping I could go over there and pick 10 or 20 kg of Mutinus caninus. And now you tell us there's law against that. I'm gonna have to change my vacation plans and everything.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #774797 - 07/25/02 12:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I used to pick Cl?thrus r?ber and use them as parfume - now I can't do it anymore.

Anonymous

#774949 - 07/25/02 03:55 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #775223 - 07/25/02 06:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Overpicking's an interesting question. As you mention, people have been picking Boletus edulis forever, yet it seems to remain abundant when the weather cooperates. Chanterelles seem to fall into the same category - they get picked like crazy, but when the weather is right they're everywhere. On the other hand, I understand that Tricholoma matsutake (the true mastutake of Japan) is becoming somewhat difficult to find, and that this has been attributed to the fact that everybody scours the woods carefully and all of them, even the rotten ones, get picked. How can we know?

The way the US has chosen is through CITES. Last year the US proposed adding Tricholoma magnivelare (North American matsutake) to CITES Appendix 2. There was a lot of interesting speculation on what that meant, but I talked to a local PhD expert on the topic (from the Zoo). He told me that this listing would mandate exporters of that species to get a permit for all exports. The government does not limit who gets the permits or how much - it is used a tracking tool. The idea is that they can now collect accurate data on how much matsutake is exported from the US each year and see if there is a trend. If the data shows that the population is in decline, then stronger measures would be put in place. If the data shows no such trend, then nothing additional is done. Contrary to some of the speculation, listing matsutake this way does not limit any of us in any way as to whether or how much of it we can pick.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #775347 - 07/25/02 07:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
    #776097 - 07/25/02 12:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You need a permit for almost everything in most of Europe...many pklaces even require you to register yourself with the city police...if you are visiting for longer than two weeks...I had to when I lived in Vienna...my uncle who I lived with told me this, and took me down to do it...I thought it was funny. But yeah in Europe in general there are many more mushroom pickers, many experienced, and less land
and more care for the environment. Just a few reasons why there are so many restrictions.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #776298 - 07/25/02 02:14 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#777094 - 07/25/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The regulations we have are not very practical. Nobody enforces it, the main achievment was the shutdown of legal wild mushrooms market. Large quantities were being picked during the season and exported to other countries. Now we have a mushroom black market.
Even the experts that wrote that law admit that the main problem is not overpicking but acid rain and loss of habitat.
Especially mycorhizal mushrooms are really disapearing. There has been a drastic decline in occurence in last 20 years of the most popular mushrooms here (Boletus edulis, Cantharelles). And Amanita cesarea is almost extinct. It was very popular my area 50 years ago but I haven't seen it in nature yet!
The reason for the Europe having more regulations is probably in that we destroyed our envronment much more then USA did. Europe is densly populated and many areas don't have natural forests anymore.

Personally I think that "greed is not good" when exploiting natural resources. I always try to make minimal impact to the nature with my activities.

Anonymous

#777545 - 07/26/02 02:55 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#778441 - 07/26/02 11:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Along the lines of your first post, I too have noticed this disagreeable method of collecting amongst some of our 'asiatically diverse' citizens. . .

Back in my hometown, morels are essentially a cash crop; You can go up into the mountains for a week or so around Memorial Day and bring back many, many bucket-fulls. I usually go up with a partially-rolled up mesh laundry bag, fill it until the bottom ones begin to get crushed, then call it a day [a happy day]. I believe this is a good way to collect, as spores are effectively spread everywhere you walk, as opposed to paper bags or such. Solid bags aren't BAD or anything, just my anal preference I'm also the wierdo who will hang a mushroom from a low branch if I thought to pick it for ID but opted to leave it behind. Spread your spores, baby.

Recently, there was a small community college built in the area. With it came an influx of asians and their families [various countries, I'm sure]. Last June I was up in the mountains hunting and saw a large group of asains out hunting. . .a very large group. They had little kids with them, eagerly hunting. At first I thought this was great, a family outing doing a very cool thing. Then I saw the kids brutalizing every single fruitbody they came across--old ones, young ones, even the CONCHS which really pissed me off. Those things take years to get to appreciable size.
So perhaps it's more 'kids' than 'asians', but the lack of parental reprimand [combined with my own poor day of morel hunting] really steamed me.

**boy, it's easy to think you're sounding a little racy these days! Edit, edit, edit!

Edited by Suntzu (07/26/02 12:57 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Is overpicking a problem? [Re: Suntzu]
    #778660 - 07/26/02 02:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #780692 - 07/27/02 04:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I understand the horror of seeing a nice area destroyed. A few years ago I went up in the mountains to one of my favorite Matsutake areas only to find that the local ski area had clear cut it and turned it into a parking lot.

As far as Asians clear-picking an area, I will say that I have gone on forays with some who were very conscientious and picked only what they were actually going to eat (and not too much of that). I have seen the clear-picking types (and some East Europeans do it, too). I have seen some East Europeans clear-pick an area of everything, including some not-so-good species I have pointed out to them as being undesirable to eat (like Tricholoma saponaceum). They looked at me like I was trying to get them to give me some of the best mushrooms they had picked.

The mesh laundry bag idea is one I've been using for a few years. The bags are cheap, indestructible (Nylon), and the mesh (hopefullly) allows spores to escape while I'm carrying the day's pickings around.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAbyss
Fist full of Mushrooms
Male

Loc: NorCal
    #781072 - 07/27/02 08:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

This is probably one of the
best threads I have read in
a long time. Thanks.

Peace Love & Hair Grease,
Abyss

Edited by Abyss (07/27/02 08:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds