Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Dan Millman Interview Extract
    #7669058 - 11/23/07 02:09 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Dan Millman, author of Way of the Peaceful Warrior comes clean:

Spiritual Endeavors: I realize that it's not as important as some people think, but for the record, is the character Socrates real or fictional?

Dan Millman: The character of Socrates is based on a real old man I met in an old gas station on the corner of Oxford and Hearst Streets in Berkeley, California, about 3 A.M. one starry night.

Spiritual Endeavors: And could he really jump up on rooftops etc..

Dan Millman: No. Nor did he grab me by the head and "send" me on inner journeys, or make me forget about Joy for all those years, or "crush" my skull in a cave in the mountains. Socrates became the spokesperson for what I had learned from a number of teachers and influences in my life, both external and internal.

Spiritual Endeavors: How much of that book is true?

Dan Millman: Except for the items I've already noted, most of the book is factual. I did go to Berkeley. I was a world trampoline champion and gymnast. I did shatter my right femur in a motorcycle accident and recover to join my team and win the NCAA Gymnastics Championships. I did travel around the world studying various martial arts and spiritual traditions; I was married to Linda with whom I had a daughter, Holly. I did have an experience one might call "ego death" and powerful insights that continued to surface over the years.

Spiritual Endeavors: As I said, I realize the non importance of the question, but some people will be very disappointed.

Dan Millman: Some people are very disappointed to learn that it's not all factual, because they are so strongly hoping for "magic" in the world that contrasts with what appears to be a mundane existence.

The mystical, magical part is not at all important nor factual, which is why he included it in his AUTOBIOGRAPHY - as a hook TO FUCKING SELL BOOKS! Ah yes, warrior-like integrity!

Some damned skeptic cornered his ass somewhere along the line and forced his hand.

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (11/23/07 09:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Dan Millman Interview Extract [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7669527 - 11/23/07 08:49 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The mystical, magical part is not at all important nor factual, which is why he included it in his AUTOBIGRAPHY - as a hook TO FUCKING SELL BOOKS! Ah yes, warrior-like integrity!]

Yes, but LIES can change the world just as much as TRUTH. Ask the people in Jim Jones cult or those that worship Carlos Castaneda. Both lying frauds, one with Kool Aid and the other with a cult where he takes peoples lives and controls them with lies no Kool Aid needed.

Hell, there are those on this site that continue to worship Carlos as much if not more than when he got outed as a lying cult leader. Hell, there are those who still worship Rajneesh and Sheela even. Freaking bioterrorists right here in the good old USA.

I at least give this guy credit for finally being honest about what was real versus fiction. I didn't think he was on the up and up with the old guy jumping onto roofs in Berkeley at 3 AM. Well maybe on the "up and up" as in high as a kite and he hallucinated it.

And, I don't think Dan started any cults, he was just happy to make up stories to sell books to help with his bouncie bouncie bouncie.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

#7669595 - 11/23/07 09:39 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

The mystical, magical part is not at all important nor factual, which is why he included it in his AUTOBIGRAPHY - as a hook TO FUCKING SELL BOOKS! Ah yes, warrior-like integrity!

I think it's silly to claim to know the intentions of another man.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Dan Millman Interview Extract [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #7670241 - 11/23/07 12:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I at least give this guy credit for finally being honest about what was real versus fiction.

As WOTPW book sales are no longer a major source of income for Dan, yeah, he came clean some 20+ years after it's release. Bravo! What amazing honesty.

When he did a 'life reading' for me decades ago, he said I was a powerful Shogun in a previous life.

Dan: Some people do bullshit readings, but this is who you really were.

OG: Millions of people are ordinary farmers, fishermen and such; yet in past life readings EVERYONE is always someone extraordinary. Sounds like ego-stroking to me.

Dan: Oh, I frequently do readings of people who were bakers and housewives and factory workers, but YOU! YOU were never ordinary.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7670285 - 11/23/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The first time I looked at his work it seemed like a poor quality spin off of CC. I never finished the book. If I'm going to believe in fiction I at least want it to interesting.:lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (11/23/07 02:03 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Dan Millman Interview Extract [Re: Icelander]
    #7670361 - 11/23/07 12:41 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Dan is 5' 6".

From the book: I never slept alone unless I wanted to.

From his Blog: As a short man, dating was always difficult for me.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #7671712 - 11/23/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like he is being honest to me...except for one small detail. The Way of the Peaceful Warrior was an inferior Castaneda rip off calculated to appeal to that audience, but it didn't quite make the cut. In any case why read about some guys fictional adventures when Castaneda did it for real? I would be shocked to see a Doctor of Anthropology publish anything but factual social science.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Dan Millman Interview Extract [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #7672686 - 11/23/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Wax on; wax off.

--------------------

Offlineconfusion
ProfessionalNovice
Male User Gallery

#7673098 - 11/24/07 12:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

He said it was a NOVEL! So if you had read his website you would have know this information long before the interview. His books are not the best, the novel is good, but the other books are not so exceptional. He just takes different ideas and preaches how great they are, but never reaches any resolution about anything.
To think he charges out the ass to give people advice, which is counter to his personality in his books.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#7673117 - 11/24/07 12:54 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Dan Millman, author of Way of the Peaceful Warrior comes clean:

Spiritual Endeavors: I realize that it's not as important as some people think, but for the record, is the character Socrates real or fictional?

Dan Millman: The character of Socrates is based on a real old man I met in an old gas station on the corner of Oxford and Hearst Streets in Berkeley, California, about 3 A.M. one starry night.

Spiritual Endeavors: And could he really jump up on rooftops etc..

Dan Millman: No. Nor did he grab me by the head and "send" me on inner journeys, or make me forget about Joy for all those years, or "crush" my skull in a cave in the mountains. Socrates became the spokesperson for what I had learned from a number of teachers and influences in my life, both external and internal.

Spiritual Endeavors: How much of that book is true?

Dan Millman: Except for the items I've already noted, most of the book is factual. I did go to Berkeley. I was a world trampoline champion and gymnast. I did shatter my right femur in a motorcycle accident and recover to join my team and win the NCAA Gymnastics Championships. I did travel around the world studying various martial arts and spiritual traditions; I was married to Linda with whom I had a daughter, Holly. I did have an experience one might call "ego death" and powerful insights that continued to surface over the years.

Spiritual Endeavors: As I said, I realize the non importance of the question, but some people will be very disappointed.

Dan Millman: Some people are very disappointed to learn that it's not all factual, because they are so strongly hoping for "magic" in the world that contrasts with what appears to be a mundane existence.

The mystical, magical part is not at all important nor factual, which is why he included it in his AUTOBIOGRAPHY - as a hook TO FUCKING SELL BOOKS! Ah yes, warrior-like integrity!

Some damned skeptic cornered his ass somewhere along the line and forced his hand.

He said the Mystical experiences and insights were real, just not the "magic" of Socrates.

Don Juan wasn't real either but that doesn't make his wisdom any less relevant or useful.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #7673865 - 11/24/07 08:26 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dan: Oh, I frequently do readings of people who were bakers and housewives and factory workers, but YOU! YOU were never ordinary.

Dan: Oh, And would you mind leaving out the back door? That's the Shogun Warrior's power exit. Thanks.

OG hears Dan answering the front door as he walks along the side of the house and thinks to himself "must be some ordinary factory worker here for their reading, only Shoguns get to use the power exit".

And only Dan gets to use the tramp. Bouncie, bouncie, bouncie.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/24/07 08:27 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder