Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: PINNING
    #73828 - 02/09/00 01:19 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

From what you're saying, they're still in the jar, right?

Well, some strains don't like to pin en vitro, i.e. in the jar. There was some discussion several months ago about pinning en vitro might actually be a mutation in the PF strain. I don't know... never bother with such thoughts myself.

Anyhow:
When the jars are 100% put them in the terrarium. Don't try to pin them in the jar unless your using PF's strain. The problem with pinning in the jar is that two things will happen:
1) You'll kill off some mushrooms when removing them from the jar.
2) You'll bruise the cake somewhere while removing it.

If you pull em' out at 100% and put them into the terrarium, you've alleviated the above two problems. Also the whole process tends to be a bit quicker, and overall you get less aborts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOsidan
journeyman
Loc: Home is NY, Now St. Louis...
    #73830 - 02/09/00 02:53 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

The same exact thing happened to me. All I could see was mycellial(sp?) growth for the first month. But now, which is around the fifthe week they finally started fruiting. I think they started because I began to spray them with tons of water. I'm not sure if it was this or a tempreture change that caused it, or maybe just I needed to wait.

I think you should try opening the jars and misting them a lot. The mycellium might shrink together from the walls of teh jars, but it will pin then. Just be Patient.

I am growing Ecuadorians from spore chicks if you want to know.

What I have learned now is that the Quart Jar method is really not very good, and its a lot easier to build a perlite terrarium. That is what I am going to do in my next attempt.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #73831 - 02/09/00 05:07 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Hi outofthisworld,
Just out of curiousity what happens if you take PF cakes out of the jars before they pin?

I usually wait until they pin in the jars, but if you've got 100% colonization of the substrate, what would happen if you took them out and they haven't started to pin?

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Anonymous

#73832 - 02/09/00 05:58 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Osidian
I am curious as to what temp you keep your shrooms?

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
    #73833 - 02/09/00 06:39 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I took my PF cakes out of their jars before they had pinned (in fact, impatient as I was, they weren't quite done colonizing -- maybe 97%). They are in a perlite regulated aquarium and finally have some fruits on 'em. It took about a week and a half to see anything worthwhile, but they appear to be growing fine -- and fast now. I love watching my mushrooms grow! :biggrin:

This is going to be my first harvest ever! :smile: And anywho, the bottom line is that taking them out before pinning doesn't seem to have any negative effect on them, but then i've never yet had them pin in the jars.

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

OfflineOsidan
journeyman
    #73834 - 02/09/00 08:54 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I keep them now around 76 farenheit, but I don't think thats why they started pinning, I think its because I mist them heavily with water.

OfflineOsidan
journeyman
    #73835 - 02/09/00 09:02 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

outofthisworld and Munky King- I think you are confused about what the quart jar method is. Everything happens in quart jars, you fill them with some rice but not completely, cook, innoculate, and let them colonize. Then, hopefully, they will pin and grow good fruit IN THE SAME JARS. I will take some pics of mine when they are flushing more.

It sounds good in theory but after trying it its not really very good, it seems easier to just to let them colonize pint cakes and make a terrarium.

[This message has been edited by Osidan (edited February 09, 2000).]

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
    #73836 - 02/10/00 02:44 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry about the confusion Osidian, my post was actually directed towards Lana's question about removing PF cakes from the jar before pinning.

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

Anonymous

#73837 - 02/10/00 06:06 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ah, that makes more sense. All these new fangled teks :smile:... disapear for awhile and they make your mind spin.

Regarding Lana's question. When you pull them out at 100% they do just fine. Normally I pull them out at 85-90% and case them. I'm also an impatient bastard, but find when I pull them out at 90% and case them they are fully colonized the next day... dunno why. (not the casing, the remainder of the substrate)

I've only grown PF's strain a few times, so I don't pretend to be an expert on that interesting strain. Oddly enough, I have never tripped on his strain before. Always had prettier mushrooms lying around, gave them away to buds. Though if I had some right now... I'd probably trip on them :smile:... I have a bunch of substrate lying around but gave away the rest of my shrooms a couple days ago... bummer,
later

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract