Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTripPSmittens
Simulation Farmer
 User Gallery
Pins on agar and one with contaminant
    #27295510 - 05/05/21 03:10 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

Hey all,

This is my first time using agar, and I’m getting pins on all but one of my plates after about 4 weeks.

One of my plates showed a green dot contaminant early on and I set it aside to let it grow regardless thinking I would cut a wedge away from the contaminant and transfer to a new plate.

Well, now the mycelium has grown to cover the contaminant (obviously it’s still there) but it seems like the mycelium is overtaking the contaminant in that it isn’t spreading, and the mycelium just completely overtook it? Is that possible?
In the picture you can see the knot with slight green tint under it. My question is, should I do something with these pins? Meaning the pins on the non contaminated plates as well as the contaminated plate?

The plan has been to just do 2-3 transfers agar to agar then transfer to grain. Since I have all these plates growing pins I’m wondering if I should change that plan, as well as what to do with the contaminated plate with pinning.

Thanks in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: TripPSmittens]
    #27295581 - 05/05/21 04:07 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

:homerdrool:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleAntsInYourPants

#27295586 - 05/05/21 04:10 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

Yeah, I've had plates where a blip of contamination stopped growing and the mycelium eventually overtook it. I like to use a marker and circle the contamination so I don't forget and put it to grain. Some people transfer the pins to clean plates but you can also just take wedges from a clean sector to a new plate. There isn't going to be a huge difference. I would personally take some clean wedges and maybe a pin or two and transfer them to a new plates just for fun.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: tripdawg420]
    #27295588 - 05/05/21 04:11 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

You could still try and transfer from it but it would have spread spores around, and most likely would have to make more transfers from the next plate or two, good reason to have plates on hand and transfer early.  Just because the mushroom grew over the contamination doesn’t mean it has beaten it.  One thing that looks good for you is you have a culture that really wants to fruit!

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: Land Trout]
    #27295589 - 05/05/21 04:12 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

i would just put them pins on new agar and roll tf out

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineTripPSmittens
Simulation Farmer
 User Gallery
Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: tripdawg420]
    #27295711 - 05/05/21 05:39 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

So I guess that was partly my question that I didn’t know I was asking yet :smile:

Is the only point in transferring a pin to start mycelium on a new plate? What’s the difference between this and cloning?

And haha yeah definitely not upset about how bad these guys wanna fruit. I’m thinking since I have plenty of plates fully colonized I may do transfers with all the clean ones including the pinned plates, and discard the contaminated one. Or maybe do transfers as a side project since I’ve never tried phasing out a contaminant by agar transfers. Thoughts?

Btw the plan moving forward from there is 1qt rye jars to large monotubs. Probably 1:1 casing. Does this all sound like a good idea?

InvisibleHtaeh
Immortal
Male

#27295729 - 05/05/21 05:54 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

Take your pins to grain! 😉

Take wedges of clean myc from the contaminant plate to new plates!

Take the clean plates to grain!

Your plate looks awesome.

--------------------
"To write is to wage war" ~ Voltaire
"The Drug Medical System cannot bear examination. To explain it would be to destroy it.." ~ R.T. Trall M.D.
"A single lie destroys a whole reputation for integrity." ~ Baltasar Gracian (1601-1658), Spanish philosopher 
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the US public believes is false."  ~  William J. Casey, 1981
"Fear always works to influence the population, when the population is uneducated."
"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." ~  Maximilien Robespierre
"Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave."  ~  Frederick Douglass

OfflineTripPSmittens
Simulation Farmer
 User Gallery
Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: Htaeh]
    #27295745 - 05/05/21 06:06 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

Why do people wait for 2nd or 3rd generation agar plates to transfer to grain again? I read that somewhere but only once or twice... the pins are all on first gen mycelium so I thought it was the best move to transfer to agar at least one more time.

Is that not the case? If not, I would love to just start going to grain now :grin:. There’s nothing else stopping me.

InvisibleAntsInYourPants

#27295766 - 05/05/21 06:21 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

Yep, the main point in transferring a pin is to start a culture on a new plate. The difference between transferring a pin and taking a clone sample is you know how the clone performs. Taking a pin from mycelium that you haven't fruited is effectively the same as taking a wedge from that same mycelium. You're just transferring untested genetics but, you could argue that mycelium pinning on a plate is a good genetic trait to chase. That, I'm not 100% sure on. Pinning can happen for all kinds of reasons outside of genetic vigor, one being contaminants.

People wait for 2-3 transfers because they want to ensure they have clean mycelium. I've spawned my germination plates plenty of times and then took clones of the best clusters and kept going from there.  I don't think it's that hard to recognize contamination on a plate. Much trickier when it gets to grain or spawned to substrate but, it's a good idea when you're first starting and not the best at identifying things to make a couple of transfers. Germination plates can get wild.

Edited by AntsInYourPants (05/05/21 06:26 PM)

InvisibleHtaeh
Immortal
Male

#27295798 - 05/05/21 06:42 PM (8 months, 11 days ago)

It's best practice, but you can have success with germination plates. I love taking pins to grain, it's often been very aggressive growth and fast colonisation times.

--------------------
"To write is to wage war" ~ Voltaire
"The Drug Medical System cannot bear examination. To explain it would be to destroy it.." ~ R.T. Trall M.D.
"A single lie destroys a whole reputation for integrity." ~ Baltasar Gracian (1601-1658), Spanish philosopher 
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the US public believes is false."  ~  William J. Casey, 1981
"Fear always works to influence the population, when the population is uneducated."
"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." ~  Maximilien Robespierre
"Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave."  ~  Frederick Douglass

OfflineTripPSmittens
Simulation Farmer
 User Gallery
Re: Pins on agar and one with contaminant [Re: Htaeh]
    #27298423 - 05/07/21 11:45 AM (8 months, 9 days ago)

I thought you guys may like to see the guy now! I’m waiting on Petris to be delivered so I haven’t moved him yet. I am moving the other plates to grain today though.

This one has actually dropped prints it looks like as well.

Edited by TripPSmittens (05/07/21 11:46 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale