Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: A quick easy way to cool jars in less than 1hr after removing from pressure canner.
    #70197 - 01/03/00 04:17 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

not quite sure I would put my jars anywhere near a bathtub. Lots of critters running around in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: A quick easy way to cool jars in less than 1hr after removing from pressure canner.
    #70199 - 01/03/00 04:36 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well, im assuming u actually close your jars tight after taking them out of the pressure cooker, otherwise they would contaminated and the whole purpose behind the pressure cooker would be lost.. duh.. :wink: also, u are only putting water halfway up the jars.. so unless u are using kleenx for jars i wouldn't worry about it. and if u were using kleenx then, well.. u don't deserve to grow.

heh, ok, ok.. im rambling.. ill stop..
Cya later,

Spelly

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #70200 - 01/05/00 07:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like a quick easy way to make sure they suck a big fast breath of unsterile air to me!

Anonymous

#70201 - 01/06/00 12:10 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, first of all the reason you want your jars cooled in one hour after pressure cooking is..........?

a) If you were to wait 3 or so more hours then your spore solution will go bad.

b) You exacted the art of growing mushrooms and you want to make sure you'll be able to eat the first ripe mushroom at 12:00pm, exactly 4 weeks after inoculation. And if you where patient and let your cakes cool off the normal way you would miss that time.

c) Every time you pressure cook your cakes, your mom somehow mysteriously shows up just when your done so you have to quickly hide the cakes in the bathroom before she discovers what your doing with her pressure cooker.

d) Your a little impatient and you havn't quite grasped the fact that impatience very bad characteristic for the shroom grower to have.

e) None of the above.

Don't be offended Spellbin, I'm just playing with you. Thanx for the info. If it worked for you then it can work for others. :smile:

------------------
Trying to rationalize with an irrational person, is in itself irrational!

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#70202 - 01/06/00 01:11 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:48 PM)

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: A quick easy way to cool jars in less than 1hr after removing from pressure canner. * 1
    #70203 - 01/05/00 10:54 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Why wouldnt you just let it sit? at worst you can run cold water over the pressure cooker and then let it sit in a sinkfull of cold water.. that cools off efficently.. and it is no more contamination prone than just letting it sit..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
    #70204 - 01/06/00 06:54 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Ryche,

What exactly is a flow hood? Do you have a picture?

The inside of my oven is pretty sterile right? Especially after being on at 300 for an hour. Can I just let the oven cool and put the jars on the rack with the door closed to cool overnight? Better than that nasty fridge, or the even nastier bathtub ... EGADS!

I'm asking about the oven because my sterlization pot is small and I want to get more jars cooking as soon as possible (batch mode). Can I take them out hot without tightening the lids, and let them cool in the sterile oven? Then after they have cooled in the oven, I'll reach in and tighten the lids and let them sit in the ir original boxes until I'm ready to inoculate. If I tighten the lids while hot, they create a vacuum which literally sucks bigtime later when I open them to inoculate. I guess it is best to let the jars cool inside a pressure cooker with the lids loose. Then tighten them as you take them out. That way the pressure inside the jar is the same as the outside and they will not suck in germs when opened to inoculate. Am I understanding this right?

We all have to figure out our own "tek" with the tools and resources we have.

I gratefully await a few crumbs from your bountiful table of infinite wisdom (on behalf of all us shroomgrowerwannabe's).

TriGuy

[This message has been edited by TriGuy (edited January 06, 2000).]

Anonymous

#70205 - 01/07/00 07:32 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

If I was in a real hurry I'd try sticking them in the freezer for a while.

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#70206 - 01/07/00 08:21 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:54 PM)

Offlinegrath
enthusiast
    #70207 - 01/07/00 08:32 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Keep im mind making your jars cool faster than they do naturally will cause moister from in the jars to evaporate and leave the jar.

Try this.

- fill a jar with water and put tin foil over it.
- Pressure Cook for 45min
- Take pressure knob off pressure cooker to release pressure.
- open pressure cooker and place jar in cold water

within about 2 minutes you will notice your jar has no more water in it. Your substrate wouldn't enjoy this!

Anonymous

#70208 - 01/09/00 03:12 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, well, thanks for your imput.. and i found it all very useful.. But, i thought i might as well share this idea.. ehehe, welp anyways. I did inncolate only a little while after an hour of being out of the steamer, AND, at 1 week some of my jars are 3/4 colenized (sorry for the cheap ass spelling). Also, the air being sucked in could be a decent hazard. Welp, cya'll...

Spellbin.

Anonymous

#70209 - 01/09/00 03:17 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, i was using a steamer.. not a pressure cooker. and i could hold the jars in my hand without scolding myself BEFORE i put them in the water. Also the lids were on tight with tape when i put them in the water...

Cya,
Spelly

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds