Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
About to take Organic Chemistry.....
    #6929842 -

Hello all, I'm coming back from my hiatus from the shroomery (and the internet for that matter).

I was wondering if any of you shroomerities have taken organic chemistry I and II (I presume it is taught in this fashion in all universities). And if you have, how rigorous of an undertaking was it?

I breezed through Inorganic (Gen I &2) with a 97 and 99.8 respectively (I didn't do the homework in 1 and that caused my grade to drop a tad); however I hear organic is totally different.

I start class Monday and thus far have reviewed orbitals/hybridization/acidities/alkane sterochemistry. It seems to be based on a strong logic and very interesting but not overly difficult.

When does it begin to live up to its infamous reputation?

For those who are wondering: I'm a chemical biotechnology major with a minor in psychology (planning on going into behavioral neuroscience /neuro-psychology :-) )


--------------------
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

<passitbobbie> if I just showed you a closeup of my ass
<passitbobbie> youd think it was female

"You owe errrbody up in here an apology fow youwe shit, HO!" - classic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Afroshroomerican]
    #6929987 -

lol for some reason I read that thread title as organic faggotry.


--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: HeadTripVertigo]
    #6930007 -

HeadTripVertigo said:
lol for some reason I read that thread title as organic faggotry.



They do mention a lot about back-side attacks :stoned:


--------------------
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

<passitbobbie> if I just showed you a closeup of my ass
<passitbobbie> youd think it was female

"You owe errrbody up in here an apology fow youwe shit, HO!" - classic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Afroshroomerican]
    #6930033 -

Hopefully Shmoppy McGillicuddy or Konnrade will pop into this thread.

Shmoppy McGillicuddy just got his degree in organic chem.
He's uber sharp and obviously knows what he's talking about/what it takes. :yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6932761 -

I finished Organic chem I and II this year with an 89% in organic chem II.. they definitely dont live up to their reputation. The only reason students find it tough is because they try to memorize the reactions assbackwards instead of trying to understand the principles of the mechanisms. Try to understand general trends and reactivities of different substances electronic properties.. like when a nucleophile is introduced to a system where is it most likely to attack? Which atom is the most electrophilic? Could it act as a base instead? etc etc If you understand the reactive properties of different molecules/species before you start memorizing the reactions you will do MUCH better.

Its a very good course imo, you'll enjoy it very much.

Ive just been reading an advanced organic chemistry book to get ahead for 3rd year courses and it is just starting to get a bit difficult conceptually.


--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Acyl]
    #6932946 -

i have taken up to orgo 2

in 2 different states since i got bizusted...

it can be tough, pay attention, dont learn 5 months if it in one night on speed like I did :tongue:

learn HOW the reactiosn work

if you are like me and like to know how things work anyways, it should be fun

plus all of my FAVORITE molecules are organic ones! (carbon containing)

nice to know how to synthesize things ( thinks about the chance he had to work on an island funded by a billionaire synthesizing things)....

my fuckin nails are gettin long, i shold find where i packed my nailclippers or better yet unpack all them boxes fuck


--------------------
,'~Þ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Afroshroomerican]
    #6932960 -

it's really not that hard. it sounds like you know what the first test will cover..

just do problems.  I did just about every problem along the way in the book.  I felt like my book did a good job compared to books in other courses. 

It all builds.  If you can, get a head start on the reactions, because you'll be dealing with a lot of reactions.

MOST OF ALL KNOW SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 inside and out. compare them and know them so well that they'll want to marry you.  because these reactions are organic chemistry.  Naming is important as well as acids and bases.. and being able to recognize a stronger nucleophile compared to when it may act as a base.

After your assimilation of what all those reactions mean then it's all memorizing reactions and the reagents that make them happen.

And depending on how your professor is, know the mechanisms.  :smile:

MOST OF ALL... don't procrastinate  good luck I think you'll like it.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. organic will make so much more sense of everything.


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Cracka_X] * 1
    #6933010 -

i had this awesome old add professor when i finally finished it

i remember doing a shitload of dilaudid/hydromorphone then going to study with him in a private session, i kept nodding out onto the book, heh, i wonder what he thought


--------------------
,'~Þ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: WildLASER]
    #6933031 -

"im wasting my time, what a tool"

"the kid cant even wait to learn about the chemicals before he takes them"

"the jackass didnt even bring some for me"


--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Acyl]
    #6933122 -

he was almost 90, anyways I tried hard not to, I still learned alot from him!!!

and yes it was stupid, I thought it would have worn off 3-4 hours later, but I did alot


--------------------
,'~Þ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: WildLASER]
    #6933150 -

It's easier than general chemistry. I got an A in Organic I this semester but in gen chem 1 and 2 I had a B and a B+.

The average for organic I was a 65% in my class. LOL


--------------------



http://www.myspace.com/4th25


"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: downforpot]
    #6933157 -

downforpot said:
The average for organic I was a 65% in my class. LOL



The average for my class was 58, noobs imo.


--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: About to take Organic Chemistry..... [Re: Acyl]
    #6933460 -

Yea that is some crazy shit. I've never seen such bad averages before any of my classes. I was kinda surprised myself that I got an A too. But then again I did nothing but school work all semester so it kinda paid off.


--------------------



http://www.myspace.com/4th25


"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Does anyone want to learn some chemistry? RedNucleus 1,247 8 06/13/05 07:22 PM
by Viaggio
* Is it me? Or do Organic Chemist like to get high? Phychotron 863 7 10/22/06 07:35 PM
by thatiAM
* Good schools offering organic chemistry? earlyxsunsets 253 0 09/17/04 11:53 AM
by earlyxsunsets
* Poll: GMOs or Organic food?
( 1 2 all )
exclusive58 4,337 32 09/24/05 01:42 PM
by dr0mni
* Giving organics a shot (updated).
( 1 2 all )
Scratcher 2,728 23 04/20/05 01:07 AM
by Yoschie99
* Quick chemistry question FirstAvailable 1,569 11 04/01/04 06:14 PM
by FirstAvailable
* Chemistry question
( 1 2 all )
GreenScreen 6,096 39 12/12/06 02:02 PM
by Asante
* Chemistry is kicking my ass....
( 1 2 all )
Madtowntripper 2,101 20 10/09/06 10:10 PM
by Mezcal

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,531 topic views. 3 members, 10 guests and 154 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.