Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Firefox 2.0.0.2 installing adware??? EDIT: False Positive
    #6604130 - 02/23/07 09:50 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

:wtf:

I have WebRoot Spy Sweeper monitoring my machine 24/7 and when I just installed the new Firefox update (2.0.0.2) it installed "180search assistant/zango" on my machine. Not cool. :thumbdown:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by mattzdope (02/24/07 12:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelbisivni
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.2 installing adware??? [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #6604675 - 02/24/07 02:29 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

where did you download the installation program from?

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.2 installing adware??? [Re: elbisivni]
    #6604682 - 02/24/07 02:33 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i was requested for that update a second ago, luckily i clicked no cause i was lazy

--------------------

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #6604883 - 02/24/07 06:24 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Don't spread FUD, Firefox doesn't come with spyware obviously. You probably got an unofficial install packaged up by some scammer who's hoping to make a buck off the new release. Such is the nature of open source software. That's why you should get Firefox off mozilla.org, not 2baksa.net :wink:.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.2 installing adware??? [Re: Ythan]
    #6605106 - 02/24/07 09:43 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

There is a remotely exploitable flaw in Firefox 2.0.0.2 that was discovered very soon after it was released. The bugzilla entry is here.

It's possible that you were very unlucky, you updated and then viewed a malicious page crafted to exploit the flaw and load adware onto your computer.

I believe the recommended action is to disable javascript for all untrusted sites until a fix is released.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.2 installing adware??? [Re: OJK]
    #6605315 - 02/24/07 11:24 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Mozilla has released updates to its Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail client for Windows, Mac and Linux users, the organization announced Friday.

"Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to these latest releases," Mozilla said in a post on its development site.

"This update resolves the location.hostname vulnerability and other security and stability issues," Mike Schroepfer, vice president of engineering at Mozilla, said in a statement.

The location.hostname vulnerability that Schroepfer referred to was the Firefox cookie flaw discovered by Michal Zalewski, an "ethical hacker" from Poland.

In mid-February, Zalewski posted his proof-of-concept on a mailing list for other security experts. His note said that a flaw in Firefox could allow hackers to set or change cookies, permissions for Web site settings and passwords, for their own purposes. A fix for the high-impact flaw was made by Firefox developers last week.

This update includes the patch for that fix, as well as a fix for the critical level flaw involving memory corruption that can lead to crashes. That flaw left people using JavaScript in their mail--a practice Mozilla "strongly discourages"--open to attacks.

"Thanks to the work of our contributors we have been able to address these issues quickly in order to minimize the security risk to Firefox users," Schroepfer said.

The update is available in 37 languages from the GetFirefox.com and GetThunderbird.com Web sites for 1.5.0.10 versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, as well as Firefox 2.0.0.2. It is also scheduled to be available as of late Friday afternoon by clicking "Check for Updates..." in the Firefox Help menu.

zdnet.com

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #6605431 - 02/24/07 12:10 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Don't spread FUD, Firefox doesn't come with spyware obviously. You probably got an unofficial install packaged up by some scammer who's hoping to make a buck off the new release. Such is the nature of open source software. That's why you should get Firefox off mozilla.org, not 2baksa.net :wink:.

Actually I got FireFox from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I talked to the people over at MozillaZine and it turns out it's just a false positive.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=523694

Odium: It actually popped up right during installation of the browser. However as stated it is just a false positive.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #6605442 - 02/24/07 12:12 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Okay that makes sense too. I almost went to work for Webroot, if I had this kind of fuckup wouldn't happen. :wink:

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #6605455 - 02/24/07 12:16 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

Yeah I'd call them and bitch about it but hey I'm using a cracked version of their software. :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order