Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Granada, Andalusia
Calcium Carbonate question.
    #6437641 - 01/08/07 11:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I asked my pharmacist where I could buy this, and she had some in 500g boxes. I asked what they used it for and she didnt really know! Only £4 for 500g so I bought one. Is there likely to be any problems with it if it is from a pharmaceutical company or can I still use it?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calcium Carbonate question. [Re: bwoy]
    #6437677 - 01/08/07 11:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Other than being ten to twenty times the price it should be, it should work. I pay 8 dollars for 23 kilos of CC.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6437687 - 01/08/07 11:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the pharmacist didn't know?  if i were you i wouldn't get your meds there... calcium carbonate is a pretty common antacid... or as simply, a calcium supplement.  :wink:

if its straight calcium carbonate, you can certainly use it for mycology purposes.  if its a preparation for an antacid, it probably also contains magnesium, which is something you don't want anywhere near your crops... or sugars, which also could be an invitation for contamination when placed in your casing layer - so check the ingredients

Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate question. [Re: creamcorn]
    #6437703 - 01/08/07 11:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
the pharmacist didn't know?  if i were you i wouldn't get your meds there... calcium carbonate is a pretty common antacid... or as simply, a calcium supplement.  :wink:

Lol, she said it used to be used as an ingrediant for indigestion recipes but couldnt think why it was still sold on its own nowadays

if its straight calcium carbonate, you can certainly use it for mycology purposes.  if its a preparation for an antacid, it probably also contains magnesium, which is something you don't want anywhere near your crops... or sugars, which also could be an invitation for contamination when placed in your casing layer - so check the ingredients

It simply says calcium carbonate, 500g, no other ingredients.  She joking suggested putting it on my garden, so maybe its OK

Thanks for the help guys.

@RR, what kind of establishment do you buy yours at?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6437756 - 01/08/07 11:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure shipping would cost too much, but look for a local supplier like this one. http://www.concentratesnw.com/meal_pricelist.htm
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate question. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6437778 - 01/08/07 11:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'm sure shipping would cost too much, but look for a local supplier like this one. http://www.concentratesnw.com/meal_pricelist.htm
RR

Thanks Roger. Another quick question which could stop me opening a new thread-do you know of any Tyvek alternatives, nobody I speak to in Spain knows what it is, and the USPS only deliver it free to North America. I've seen envelopes online but they seem very expensive for something which is given away free. Its the one thing I need before I can make my WBS jars.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6437796 - 01/08/07 12:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Its often used as a building material (homes are wrapped in it to keep moisture out) so you'll probably be able to find it where construction supplies are sold, but unfortunately probably only in quantities way more than you'll need. 

People also buy said rolls and sell pieces of it on eBay, so you might find some that way.

Otherwise, the envelopes are an OK choice.  CD/DVD sleeves are also made out of it (and when split open each sleeve is perfect to cover 2 jars).  As are disposable clean-room suits... so there's some other ideas.

Consider also synthetic filter discs, these are similar in properties to tyvek but designed for mycology and are reusable.

Besides all that, its not really given away for free.  When you take (or order) priority mail envelopes from USPS, there's an agreement that you're using them to ship priority mail - so you're technically paying for the envelope as part of the shipping charge.  When you take mail supplies and use them for something besides mail, it is stealing, not a freebie. :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6437812 - 01/08/07 12:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You can also get excellent tyvek from kite building stores and websites. Here's my favorite. Just click the link to 'kitemaking and repair supplies' near the bottom of the page. www.intothewind.com
RR

Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6437816 - 01/08/07 12:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
Its often used as a building material (homes are wrapped in it to keep moisture out) so you'll probably be able to find it where construction supplies are sold, but unfortunately probably only in quantities way more than you'll need. 

People also buy said rolls and sell pieces of it on eBay, so you might find some that way.

Otherwise, the envelopes are an OK choice.  CD/DVD sleeves are also made out of it (and when split open each sleeve is perfect to cover 2 jars).  As are disposable clean-room suits... so there's some other ideas.

Consider also synthetic filter discs, these are similar in properties to tyvek but designed for mycology and are reusable.

Besides all that, its not really given away for free.  When you take (or order) priority mail envelopes from USPS, there's an agreement that you're using them to ship priority mail - so you're technically paying for the envelope as part of the shipping charge.  When you take mail supplies and use them for something besides mail, it is stealing, not a freebie. :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, so if I buy 12 wide mouth filtration discs for around $15 its a good investment? They are sold as being reusable.

:edit: Thanks RR also  :thumbup:

Edited by bwoy (01/08/07 12:16 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6437983 - 01/08/07 01:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate question. [Re: agar]
    #6441062 - 01/09/07 11:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks agar.

Here is a pic of the CC if it helps.

Offlinenovicegrow
Biologist
Male

Loc: Ny, USA
    #10012444 - 03/21/09 09:51 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you can get it for really cheap at ceramic supply stores, it is used as a whitener in glazes. search for a ceramic supply store near you. check out my previous post on this subject.

--------------------
ahkminlessr

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation