Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemike13
Stranger
Question for an experienced composter
    #600609 - 04/06/02 02:36 PM (22 years, 19 days ago)

My first compost pile has done well and I have 3 large containers colonizing fast.
I left the remaining finished compost in a pile outside in my shed.
After about 5 days I checked the pile and there was an unknown whispy mycelium growing and many buttons everywhere. I even found one fully grown mushroom in the middle.
My question is if I lay out the compost real thin and allow it to dry out, and later when I am ready to use it, can I pasteurize it and it will still be useable, or is it ruined?
Will the unknown mushroom mycelium use up all of the nutrients?
Has anyone had this problem before?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Question for an experienced composter [Re: mike13]
    #601177 - 04/07/02 07:52 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Just leave your compost pile... as a pile. Drying it out will defeat the composting process. Your compost is natually teaming with bacteria, insects etc... that is part of the composting/decaying process. If it is out doors, it is always possible it will pick up some type of mushroom spores that could flourish... since your growing anyway, I would be waiting to see whats coming up in the pile... you just never know :smile: might be real interesting.
If you need some of the compost for a more controlled "experiment" the pasturizing process will eliminate any mushrooms, mycellium, or spores it might contain. So your compost is fine.

Have fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags