Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

DJ Shadow - Funky Skunk
    #4883527 - 11/02/05 12:07 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Just picked this up and I am very dissappointed.  First let me say that I am a huge Shadow fan and have loved all of his albums, Preemptive strike and Entroducing are some of my favorite albums to trip to.  His style is unique and emotional, amazing.

So I see this newer Funky Skunk mix tape album. I figure what the hell expecting something impressive. Pop the cd in and about shit my pants.  It starts off with some bullshit hotboys or some bullshit mainstream shit rap mix. Baffled I try to skip to the next track...there is no next track.  It's a 1hr and 6min. single track. As I pain my way through the crap there are some 2-3 minute flashes of the DJ Shadow I know and love, but for the most part, shitty shitty album.  :mad2:

On the plus side Bonobo has a new album coming out at the end of November.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: DJ Shadow - Funky Skunk [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #4884674 - 11/02/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Bonobo!

I've never heard anyone else say that name.

I've got Dial M for Monkey on vinyl and love it.

Never been a big fan of Shadow though...don't understand
all the hype around entroducing.

sorry about the bunk purchase.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #4884705 - 11/02/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Where did you get this 'mix tape'?
DJ Shadow's official site has no mention, neither does allmusic.com, the best resource for artist catalogs/discographies I've ever come across.

Also mixtapes are not albums, they're mashups of unoriginal material. I thought Prodigy's Dirtchamber sessions sucked too, but the rest of their original material was great.

What kind of legitimate release only has 1 track? Hell, even those crappy non-stop trance CDs from back in the day had more than 1 track...

I'm very skeptical that this was a legitimate release, although do you have more info for us? DJ Shadow has always been bad ass, I'd hate to think this thing is real and sucks :frown:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #4884964 - 11/02/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

thats too bad.

If you havent already, you should get hip to "In Tune and On Time", a recent live set that he spun...really showcases his skills nicely  :thumbup:

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: DJ Shadow - Funky Skunk [Re: Soularize]
    #4887298 - 11/03/05 06:50 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I picked it up at a local record store that carries alot of underground/less known material. (Magnolia Thunderpussy for anyone in the columbus area) There is not much info. with the cd.  The back reads: A DJ Shadow/Obey Reconstruction.  The cover is very well done and artistic.  I read some reviews on it and they tend to hype it up, don't know why...anyways, Shadows spin on some of the classic hip hop is very well done and enjoyable, but its just so damn frustrating that you can't skip to it. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. 

And yes, Bonobo is fucking sick...kinda hard to find their albums though.  A friend of mine who went to the Chicago Art Institute turned me on to it and I'm hooked.  It seems like I'm going to have to order his albums off the internet as none of my local stores seem to carry it. Rock on!  :crazy2:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#4888648 - 11/03/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

'in tune and on time' is great... it's so cool how he mixes 2 album tracks together on alot of the pieces. yes, Shadow is the man. i wish he would come perform in new england area.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom