Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMazamaze
Stranger
Loc: Uhhh...that's a secret. I...
This substrate recipe works for me:
    #474531 - 11/30/01 08:33 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

BY far and long, and after trying thirty or forty different combinations, this recipe has proven to be the fastest to colonize, most resistant to contams, and actually yields mushrooms of a slightly better quality, both by potency and size. Here it is for all who are interested:

6 cups vermiculite (I bought the "coarse" grade and chopped it up in a blender)
3 cups Quaker Oats (Quaker is tha bomb!)
Half cup of rye grass seed
Half cup of mushroom compost (see previous post, search for "I found this stuff")
3.5 cups water

That's it.

A local nursery had a 40 pound bag of verm for $16 (a LOT of verm indeed) It's from a company in New Jersey, the bag is white with either green or brown lettering, the first thing you'll read is "Sterilized growing media" (then you know you've found it). The verm is in chunks ranging from a half inch cube on down, and it's no trouble for a small (mine was $10 from Walgreens) food processor to handle. This stuff IMO is better than the fine grade of verm because it allows for more air space in the jars which translates into quicker colonizing times.

Quaker Oats......Just happened upon it one day and tried it. THe box said 100% Natural Organic oats, and since horses love oats and shrooms sometimes grow from horse poo, then two and two should go together.

Mushroom composting material.....I bought a 40 pound bag of this for a whopping $3.75 out of pocket.
This stuff is outstanding for casings, as I have done three so far with good results. I forget who makes it, it's not Schultz, but it's someone similar to them. Using this in PF jars seemed to give the mycelium a little better foothold, and since it was pulverized in the substrate, it appears to be of uniform distribution which hepls with slow colonizing areas of the jar (namely the last 20% of the jar that;s sometimes stubborn to grow).

I don't use a verm barrier, I don't have a flow hood, and I don't use a glove box either. I have innoculated about 90 jars over the course of this month and had only one go bad (trich). About 40 of those jars are casings now (some colonized in 12 days WITHOUT Micron Magick!) My lab doubles as my kitchen and my growing room doubles as my bedroom. There isn't the first HEPA device in my house. I have succeeded with the bare minimum, and to those of you having trouble with contams, substrates, casings; whatever just remember....I started growing in June from SPORE TRADING POST (I was a sucker, I paid $125 for a kit and $50 for ONE SYRINGE of a supposed "MAZATAPEC" strain, DOH!).
Be that as it may, I have been growing for mere months now, and the fruits of my labor are quite SHROOMY!!!!

I hope this helps anyone who's having trouble. Have patience and perseverance.....and the rest will come to you, I promise.

MAZAMAZE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatzeye

Loc: The South
Re: This substrate recipe works for me: [Re: Mazamaze]
    #474573 - 11/30/01 09:30 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

This sounds like a nice recipe. I may have to give it try sometime.
I got a really nice casing off a substrate with Finch seed, Oat Groats and some Vermiculite in it.
I've seen that "Mushroom Compost" and have often wondered if would be any good. Are you talking about the stuff that mushroom farmers use to grow edible mushrooms on? I think it's already been used to grow the mushrooms in and they like re-sale it or something. I just wonder if it would have as much nutrients as plane compost.

Catzeye

--------------------
~It is Green, It Is AquaMarine~
It is Colors I have Never Seen.
I can See Past You
To the White Sands.
Stevie Nicks

Offlinesoulsquabble
Re: This substrate recipe works for me: [Re: Mazamaze]
    #474612 - 11/30/01 10:19 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

How many jars can be filled w/ given recipe?? AFOAF simply is not having outstanding luck w/ the brown rice/verm tek, and she's experimenting faithfully as you did..... Also, the product is actually called ' mushroom compost'? There's a local nursery where one comes across his/her verm, perlite, etc. so I'm thinking they'd have it. Is there any indication that the secret could lie in the oats?? If you would, let me discuss a few things w/ you regarding this tek. Thanx.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract