Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY]
    #4685299 - 09/20/05 05:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man
September 20, 2005 - democratandchronicle.com

A man died Sunday at Strong Memorial Hospital after eating a poisonous mushroom, prompting hospital officials to warn the public about eating wild mushrooms.

"A lot of people go out and pick mushrooms thinking they know their mushrooms, and that's dangerous," said Dr. John G. Benitez, managing director of the Ruth A. Lawrence Poison and Drug Information Center inside Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong.

The man, who was described only as a middle-aged, Buffalo-area man, ate a mushroom Wednesday night, according to a news release from the University of Rochester Medical Center. He developed nausea, vomiting and diarrhea the next morning, and his family took him to a poison center in Buffalo.

The man was given several types of medications to minimize toxicity but still developed liver failure, according to the release. He then was transferred to Strong to await a liver transplant. He died when his liver's condition worsened.

--------------------
"There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: veggie]
    #4685339 - 09/20/05 05:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:badidea:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4685981 - 09/20/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wow that is a bummer

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4687979 - 09/20/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4688831 - 09/21/05 12:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like Amanita poisoning. The funny thing is that the people that eat these say they were the most delicious mushrooms they have ever eaten. Must be that last meal thing.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

InvisibleveggieM

#4689892 - 09/21/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

update

Victim picked and ate poison fungus from yard
September 21, 2005 - buffalonews.com

A Northtowns man died Sunday in Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital after eating an "angel of death," a deadly mushroom he picked in his back yard.

The man, whose identity has not been released, ate the poisonous mushroom Wednesday evening and eight hours later became violently ill with vomiting and diarrhea. His family called the Western New York Poison Control Center on Thursday morning and was directed to seek immediate medical treatment. The mushroom's scientific name is Amanita bisporigera, and it is among the most deadly toxins on earth.

The man, who had picked and eaten wild mushrooms in the past, was initially treated in Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Amherst.

"He received several different therapies in the hope something would modify the outcome, but nothing worked," said Dr. Prashant Joshi, medical director of the regional poison control center at Women and Children's Hospital.

As the mushroom's deadly toxins took hold, they attacked and poisoned the man's liver, making a liver transplant his only chance of survival, Joshi said. The man, in his 50s, was transferred to Strong Memorial for the procedure, but died before a donor liver became available.

Ernst E. Both, curator emeritus of mycology at the Buffalo Museum of Science and a longtime consultant to the poison center, was called to help identify the ingested mushroom. Both said that a description over the phone and specimens provided by the victim's family confirmed his worst fears.

"Unfortunately, it was an Amanita bisporigera, a death sentence," Both said. "It's pure white and absolutely beautiful. It just begs you to pick it."

Both said the all-white mushroom, whose ominous nicknames include "angel of death" and "destroying angel," starts off looking like a small egg. As it grows, a traditional mushroom cap and stem shoot up to a height of 3 or 4 inches.

The white mushrooms sprout in wooded areas, near the base of large trees. According to Both, two species of amanitas, equally deadly if ingested, are fairly common in Erie County. Consuming less than two tablespoons of the deceptively delicate-looking mushroom will cause death due to liver and kidney failure.

While several varieties of poisonous wild mushroom can be found throughout the United States, deaths from eating them are rare. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, there were five mushroom-related fatalities in 2002, and only two in 2003, the most recent year for which fatality statistics are available.

Locally, authorities recall only one death from mushroom poisoning. In November 1999, an Akron woman died after eating Lepiota josserandii mushrooms, or "death parasols," which she used to make soup. The Filipino immigrant mistook the poisonous fungi for a mushroom from her native land.

"Picking mushrooms for eating is not safe unless you're really an expert," Joshi said. "When I give talks about poisons, I tell people the only safe place to pick mushrooms is the supermarket."

Both said that he hopes the local man's death alerts area residents that there are poisonous mushrooms in Western New York, and that they put themselves at risk by harvesting them.

"It is unfortunate that people who insist on eating them don't try to educate themselves better," Both said. "There are many poisonous varieties of wild mushrooms that resemble harmless ones. As this man found out, you don't get a second chance when you eat the wrong one."

--------------------
"There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters."

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4690332 - 09/21/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Amanita bisporigera, that'll do it.

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
    #4692594 - 09/21/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the update.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

OfflineTranceharper
Psychokitty

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: Androctonus]
    #4693732 - 09/22/05 01:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They should teach in schools in regions the deadly amanita species are found, what they are , same with galerina , there are alot of ' look alikes' of many kinds of mushrooms, aside from simply saying' dont eat a mushroom you cant postivly ID' it would help for common public to know ' If you eat THIS , you DIE ' :frown: , as stupid as it sounds, similar amanitas do grow in my lawn , I know enough to not bother them, but if I did not, they do look rather tastey ... People say they are, so I am assuming they are, I guess its like a supermodel with HIV , great experience to begin with , the consequences are not worth the moments of pleasure ... -Tranceharper

--------------------
Meow ===^{o_o}^===

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#6115994 - 09/29/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i wwanna make an angel of death necklace

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Offlineweedymcbudster
Stranger
Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: thedudenj]
    #6116381 - 09/29/06 05:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

thats a shame

OfflineGatesOfDawn06
its been a longstrange trip..
 User Gallery

Re: Poison mushroom kills Buffalo man [NY] [Re: weedymcbudster]
    #6116764 - 09/29/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i live in that area, old news but still importaint. poor guy

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract