Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
    #464595 - 11/20/01 04:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey ya'll,
thanks for the help you shroomery members have given me in the past, I always appreciate it greatly. I have some more questions for everyone, so as to ensure that my setup keeps on rolling, and the boomers keep in bloomin'

--For my first round of innoculations, I got water in most of the jars during the boiling, so that most of them were ruined. However, three jars survived this, and were colonized. Unfortunately, there were some blackish greenish spots on the inside of two of them, so I threw them out, and was left with only one cake. This one was fine, and I put it in my terrarium.

--I'm using a large rubbermaid container with a plexiglass top, and using and ultrasonic humidifier. My first real question is: should I also be using perlite to maintain the humidity level further, or do I not need to if I have the humidifier.

--My second question is: After the cake is fully colonized and put into the terrarium, what are the chances that it will become contaminated. The pf TEK said that the chances are somewhat slim that a cake will become infected once it has been colonized, so I wasn't worried. However, some green/blue coloration appeared on the cake, which made me kind of worried. Should I try to sterilize the terrarium, and if so, how would I do this? I'm a college student so I don't have tons of supplies or room to do this.

---My next question is, what is the ideal amount of light for the cakes to receive once in the terrarium? I was giving them a lot (like 10+ hours), but then once I reduced the light amount the mushrooms started to grow a bit better. So, is there an ideal amount?

---My sole cake began to fruit about a week after I put it in the terrarium. The few mushrooms I harvested were about 2" long with small caps. Is this normal size and shape for PF shrooms, or not? Secondly, I only got about 2 or 3 mushrooms from the first fruiting, should I be getting more? The ones I did get had a lot of mycelium around their base. Does that mean there is too much humidity or too little?

---Now that I have harvested this first flush, what should I do to ensure that this cake fruits again. It doesn't look to be producing any more mushrooms now. Is it finished, or will I see more fruit in another week?

--Finally, is there a way, if I go away for a while, to suspend these cakes in there develpment and preserve them? I have to go home for a bit, so I can't monitor my terrarium, but I don't want to let this one cake die. What can I do?

____I really appreciate anyone who can answer my questions, or give me some general advice about this procedure, and I thank any experienced growers who were willing to take the time to help me out. Karma will shine on you, it all comes back around. Thanks, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
    #464652 - 11/20/01 04:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It sounds like you are doing good except loosing all your cakes but one.
-Perlite by itself will keep the humidity very high, I think an ultrasonic wil do the same. You can use both to be safe I guess, It would make it so that you wouldn't have to have the humidifier on more that mabey three times a day for a short period of time.
-The ideal amount of light for mushrooms is 12/12 just like natural light. But you can get away with only having lik 10 minutes of light a day. Light is only use for pinning and after that you could probably just turn it on when you want to look at. less light makes the mushrooms grow bigger, I've heard, and more light makes them grow faster.
-Dunk the cake. I found that when I dunk it, especially when I birth it, that I get alot of pins. Use discretion thought, if you cake is already pretty moist then control the amount of water that it is submerged in. Basically what I do is take the a jar like the one it was grown in, stick the cake in, and depending on how dry the cake is add water. I would suggest fillling it so that the cake floats just a little.
-your cake is not finnished producing yet, like I said just dunk the cake and you should get another flush from it. Use distilled water or boiled water though to make sure there is no chlorine.
- To preserve your cake you can either get a friend take care of it or (this is just a hypothesis it's up to you to make the call) you could probably stick it in a sterrilized jar, make sure the lid is on tight, and put it in the refridgerator. Doing that would keep the myc. dormant till you get back. The only problem would be the bacteria count in your 'fridge. But I think that if the lid is on tight that the air wont get in. Like I said your call.
I dont think that karma will shine on people that do things for the reason of getting the good karma. You have to do it because you aren't looking for anything in return.
Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation