Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
old hand
 User Gallery
Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert
    #4633181 - 09/08/05 10:17 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert

Paul Whitehouse
A NARCOTICS expert has warned that tumbling prices have contributed to making cocaine acceptable to the majority of today's drug users, leaving only heroin and crack as the two "taboos".
Until recently, the majority of the drug-using community rejected cocaine alongside those two drugs as too potentially dangerous, preferring cannabis and dance-scene drugs like Ecstasy. But research has show the price of cocaine has crashed in Sheffield to ?30 a gram, making it the cheapest in the country.
A survey by the organisation DrugScope showed prices had fallen from ?50 a gram in just 12 months. Heroin was now ?25 a gram, down from as much as ?70 last year.
Sheffield Hallam University's head of illegal drug research network, Alan McGauley, has been monitoring user patterns since the 1980s and concluded: "There is a line and that line has moved.
"Previously I would have said it was drawn at cocaine, crack and heroin but I think now there is only crack and heroin above the line.
"People see powder as acceptable. I think it is on the wrong side of the line, but it has filtered down from acceptance just among the showbusiness elite," he said.
Increased use of cocaine coincided with increasing mental health problems, but at this stage it was impossible to know whether there was a link, he said. "What comes first, the mental illness or the drug misuse?"
Cocaine had also become more widely embedded in society, with many people now familiar with ways to get hold of the drug without resorting to finding back-street dealers.
Many had friends or associates with contacts, with others using dealers who operated from pre-club bars to get their supplies in comfortable surroundings.
"The clubbing community is relatively cash rich and many people are happy to spend ?100 on a Saturday night out, so another ?30 for a gram of cocaine is not a lot, but you can still get through ?150 of it in a weekend. Crack is in a different league ? much more violent and much more dark.
"Heroin is also worrying because the price of it suggests there is a lot being used in Sheffield. I think heroin will become cheaper still but I don't think it will spiral out of control because I think there is still an aversion to injecting opiates," he said.
08 September 2005

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert [Re: motaman]
    #4633524 - 09/08/05 12:59 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I believe that. I used blow occasionally for years, but this year at school it seems like every little 18 year old freshman girl is doing lines in the bathroom...

its wierd to go from one extreme to the other....

After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4635695 - 09/08/05 11:16 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Even at the small town where I work the high schoolers are doing a lot of coke. I was with a friend at his connections house and I met so many 16-18 yr olds it was ridiculous. At the time, I wasn't about to say anything about it. I just got out of there as soon as I could. I get nervous when minors are around me doing illegal shit. It sucks being grown-up.

Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4654588 - 09/13/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yea minors and illegal contraband is a bad mixture.

Re: Price fall means cocaine seen as acceptable, says expert [Re: motaman]
    #4654624 - 09/13/05 01:28 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Most of the little kiddies doing coke don't know how to use it responsibly. I know, a minor doing drugs isn't "responsible". But if they are going to use they might as well have some respect for the substances they put in their body.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service