Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
'World record' cocaine bust
    #4176187 - 05/14/05 10:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

'World record' cocaine bust
May 14, 2005 - sundaygazettemail.com

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- Leftist guerrillas, a far-right paramilitary group and a drug trafficking organization all had a stake in 15 tons of cocaine seized in southwest Colombia, the largest haul ever in this South American country, police said Saturday.

"This is the biggest haul ever seized in the world in a single operation, in a single day and in a single place," the head of Colombia's National Police, General Jorge Castro, told a news conference.

The $400 million worth of cocaine was discovered by authorities Thursday hidden in a wood-lined underground chamber near the Pacific coast. Found nearby were eight speed boats that likely would have been used to move the cocaine, originally estimated at 13.8 tons.

Judicial Police chief Col. Oscar Naranjo said guerrillas, paramilitaries and drug traffickers each likely planned to pay an even share of the costs of transporting the huge shipment to the United States.

He said transport of the drugs was the only clear "union point" for the three groups. The outlawed rebel and paramilitary groups have been battling each other across Colombia, but apparently cooperate occasionally in drug trafficking to increase profits.

Naranjo said guerrillas and paramilitary groups rely on experienced drug traffickers for transporting the drugs, and by using them the costs and risks associated with moving cocaine thousands of miles are reduced significantly.

"These transportation organizations are specialized in getting the drugs, sending them to the high seas via speed boats and then moving them on to larger boats headed to Mexico for eventual entry into the United States,'' Naranjo said.

The paramilitary group involved was the Libertadores Bloc of the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, or AUC, while the guerrillas belonged to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, Naranjo said.

Five people were captured when the cocaine was discovered Thursday in the jungle in Narino state, which lies along the Pacific coast and the Ecuador border, but those arrested are bit players in the drug-running gang, Naranjo said.

Narino is one of Colombia's prime cocaine-producing regions. Colombia produces the vast majority of the world's cocaine, and a large share of it is controlled by the paramilitaries and their rebel foes.

Naranjo said Thursday's haul is the largest ever recorded on Colombian soil. In 2004, the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Navy seized 28 tons of Colombian cocaine on the open seas from two fishing boats off the coast of the Galapagos Islands.

Colombian police, often aided by U.S. counter-narcotics authorities, have made several major drug busts in recent years and a number of Colombian drug kingpins have been extradited to the United States to face trial. Despite these successes, the price of cocaine on U.S. streets has not risen, a sign that supply remains steady.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: 'World record' cocaine bust [Re: veggie]
    #4176297 - 05/14/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Should we (the world) be impressed?

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: 'World record' cocaine bust [Re: DNKYD]
    #4176372 - 05/14/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

<<Despite these successes, the price of cocaine on U.S. streets has not risen, a sign that supply remains steady.>>

Hmm ya think? When will they realize seizing ANY amount of drug, even repeatedly over a short period of time has almost NO impact on the black market? It's funny police brag so often about making large seizes when in reality it's a small drop of water compared to the river they're not seizing.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 'World record' cocaine bust [Re: SuperD]
    #4181327 - 05/16/05 06:59 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

> Despite these successes, the price of cocaine on U.S. streets has not risen, a sign that supply remains steady.

I remember watching a documentary a few years ago about the DEA and columbian drugs... the DEA had figured out to follow the HCL (needed to produce cocaine) going into columbia to try and find the labs. The traced the chemical to a lab and shutdown the operation. All the DEA agents were sucking each others dicks in celbration waiting for the street price to skyrocket in the US. Nothing ever happened... not even a tiny itty bitty spike in street price... as if nothing at all had happened.

Later, the documentary interviewed one of the big "drug bosses" that was in jail about the US raid. He remembered the instance, but said that it was a drop in the bucket. He claimed that they made so much cocaine for the drug smuggling operation that they could loose up to 90% of their product without any negative effect on supply or pricing.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: 'World record' cocaine bust [Re: Seuss]
    #4184007 - 05/16/05 10:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

<<He claimed that they made so much cocaine for the drug smuggling operation that they could loose up to 90% of their product without any negative effect on supply or pricing.>>

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

I remember reading somewhere very recently about this group that turned cocaine into plastic-like sheets through a chemical process and smuggled them through.  Then once on the receiving end, they turned them back into powdered coke.  I wonder if that's going on a lot more often or if most smugglers don't bother and just take the chance with bringing it over in pure form.

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #4184136 - 05/16/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Later, the documentary interviewed one of the big "drug bosses" that was in jail about the US raid. He remembered the instance, but said that it was a drop in the bucket. He claimed that they made so much cocaine for the drug smuggling operation that they could loose up to 90% of their product without any negative effect on supply or pricing.

For Drug Cartels to make no money the government would have to stop 75% of all their shipments into America but only an estimated 13% of heroin shipments and 28%-40% of cocaine shipments are stopped (United Nations Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention [UNODCCP]

And this is coming from the UN a few years back so the actual percentage needed to be stopped for cartels to break even today may be closer to 90%. It really is crazy when you think about how worthless the war on drugs is.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 'World record' cocaine bust [Re: d33p]
    #4185430 - 05/17/05 06:21 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What I don't understand... the people running the show, the Bush admin and congress, etc... they have to know that it is a loosing battle... the numbers are clear and speak for themselves, the war on drugs cannot be won... period. If they know this, and they see how much money is being thrown away, why do they continue doing it? What is the motivation behind the apparent insanity? There has to be a reason, but I cannot figure out what it is.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

#4185646 - 05/17/05 10:05 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

My guess is politics. I don't think anyone running for president or likewise would want everyone knowing they think the war on drugs is a waste of money. I highly doubt Bush would have been re-elected if he even made the slightest mention to the drug war being a waste of time / money. I'm fairly certain most politicians KNOW it's a waste, (the numbers speak for themselves) but there's always the backlash from media and the general public, those who consider drugs evil.

--------------------
Manoa said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service