Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   NordVPN NordVPN

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin
    #4224123 - 05/26/05 10:01 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Wow, thank Jesus the DEA is there to protect me from myself!

What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Don't Underestimate The Danger of Marijuana Use
Posted by CN Staff on May 26, 2005 at 11:23:10 PT
By Larissa Lytwyn
Source: Easton Courier

Connecticut -- The cable channel Showtime recently released a 2001 musical remake of the 1936 anti-marijuana film "Reefer Madness." The original "Madness" became a "cult classic," gleefully mocked for its blatant, often false propaganda.

In the decades since, Hollywood has released several films, from 1980's "Cheech & Chong" to 1993's Dazed and Confused," depicting marijuana use as "cool."

The films' target audiences were the teen and collegiate crowds. The pot-smoking protagonists were always portrayed as lovable, bumbling slackers.

Not surprisingly, in our Hollywood-seeped America, many people are unaware of the dangers of marijuana.

Worse, when presented with the facts on pot's destructiveness, many people disregard it as "exaggerated," the "exception" rather than the norm.

Further, many people praise activist efforts to legalize marijuana in the U.S., purportedly for medical use.

The truth is that marijuana is far from harmless. Marijuana is addictive.

I first learned about marijuana, along with heroin, cocaine and alcohol, in fifth grade, when a DARE officer visited our health class to discuss how drugs would hurt our brains.

While we were all horrified by the anecdotes involving lethal heroin overdoses and alcohol poisoning, stories about the effects of marijuana did not end in sobering tales of deadly indulgence.

One of my friends said her parents smoked marijuana when they were young. "I guess it's not as bad as that other stuff, like heroin," she said.

My own parents, both Baby Boomers, were open about virtually everything. Their communication with me as a child was always honest, straightforward and direct. So, I believed them when they told me how much drugs, including marijuana, could hurt me.

The following year, in sixth grade, rumors began to spread about a group of peers, kids in the "cool" clique, who smoked marijuana on weekends.

From then on, there was always a certain mystique about marijuana use.

In high school and even college, talking about heroin or crack use was always revealed in a worried whisper.

Marijuana use, however, was practically celebrated as a way to "relax" and socialize.

I'm proud to say that I've never been drunk and I've never smoked a joint or a cigarette. I feel especially good about avoiding marijuana, now that scientists know much more about the physical and psychological effect of pot on the brain than they did even 10 years ago.

The effects of marijuana use on the brain are very similar to the effects of heroin, alcohol or cocaine. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), withdrawal from THC, pot's active ingredient, inhibits the activity of the body's natural anti-stress hormone, dopamine. Damage to the dopamine neuron can result in the onset of deep depression, anxiety and personality disturbances.

Due to the regeneration of THC over the past few decades, marijuana is far more potent today than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.

Thomas Pasquarella of the Drug Enforcement Agency discussed this recently at the Family University at Joel Barlow High School, sponsored by the Easton-Redding Community Coalition (ERCC), in conjunction with the Redding and Easton schools' PTAs.

Pasquarella made clear that in addition to being highly potent, marijuana today is frequently laced with potentially instantly lethal substances, including rat poison and the "club drug" ecstasy. (Note that ecstasy and similarly manufactured "club drugs," are derived from horse tranquilizers).

Usage carries severe short- and long-term health consequences.

When someone smokes pot, THC passes rapidly through the lungs into the bloodstream, where it travels to the body's organs, including the brain.

Short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning, difficulty in thinking and problem-solving, loss of coordination and increased heart rate.

Research findings for long-term use are similar to those of so-called "harder" drugs.

According to the NIDA, a user's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana.

Further, a study of 450 individuals who smoked marijuana frequently but did not smoke tobacco reported significantly more health problems and missed more days of work than nonsmokers.

Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough.

Someone who smokes marijuana frequently has many of the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers, including lung cancer

The NIDA cites many studies reporting that students who smoke pot frequently get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school compared to their non-using peers.

A study of 129 college students found that those who used marijuana heavily (27 out of 30 days) had far inferior cognitive skills related to attention, memory and learning. As a result, stated the NIDA, heavy users may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

Marijuana is the top drug of choice among Americans; according to the NIDA, and 60 percent of youth under 21 use marijuana more than any other illicit drug.

Marijuana is often mistaken as a more "socially acceptable" alternative to "harder" substances like heroin and cocaine - but as we know, the effects on the body are alarmingly alike.

Remember, even experimen?tation can lead to addiction.

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, more teens are in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than all other illicit drugs combined.

So, be clear that today's marijuana is not the pot smoked by earlier generations. It is addictive and horribly damaging to one's physical and mental health and intellectual capacity.

Don't be fooled by the exploits of fun-loving celluloid "stoners." And don't think just because your parents may have smoked marijuana, that it's okay for you. It's not - the price is just too high.

This column reflects the opinion of Editor Larissa Lytwyn and does not necessarily represent the views of Hometown Publications.

Source: Easton Courier (CT)
Author: Larissa Lytwyn
Published: May 26, 2005
Copyright: 2005 Easton Courier
http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20726.shtml

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: Ravus]
    #4224423 - 05/26/05 11:39 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Larissa Lytwyn has to be the most simple minded twit to ever become an editor.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4224428 - 05/26/05 11:42 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

What a well presented, researched and written article. I'm convinced. I'm never going to smoke that shit again.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: faslimy]
    #4224433 - 05/26/05 11:44 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Indeed. After reading, "Pasquarella made clear that in addition to being highly potent, marijuana today is frequently laced with potentially instantly lethal substances, including rat poison and the "club drug" ecstasy. (Note that ecstasy and similarly manufactured "club drugs," are derived from horse tranquilizers." I decided never to touch cannabis again.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

#4224449 - 05/26/05 11:50 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I very rarely smoke pot. It just doesn't suit me. But, I can easily see through all of those flimsy lies and half-truthes. That person knows absolutely nothing about what she is writing about.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4224499 - 05/27/05 12:03 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

:nonono:

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #4224710 - 05/27/05 12:53 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

"Pasquarella made clear that in addition to being highly potent, marijuana today is frequently laced with potentially instantly lethal substances, including rat poison and the "club drug" ecstasy. (Note that ecstasy and similarly manufactured "club drugs," are derived from horse tranquilizers."

OH

MY

GOD!!

Seems like anyone can write misinformation about drugs.  Let me give it a shot:

"Marijuana is now more addictive than crack and heroin combined.  This is due to 20 fold increase in THC compared to the marijuana of the 70's, and the new trend for sprinking oxycontin mixed with OTC cough medicines, also known as "Eckerd Extacy".  Smoking this type of marijuana increases blood pressure even higher than methamphetamine, causes the user to foam at the mouth, go into convulsions, and cause death if medical attention *and them good "legal" drugs* are not administered immediately." 

"Even if a drug user survives this horrible experience, there is permanent brain damage that results in Parkinson's and AIDs from inhaling other peoples smoke, since the smoke is so harsh it causes drug user's lips and mouths to bleed profusely.  This new "potent" marijuana is also an environmental hazard, requiring no more than 8,000 carcinogenic substances to produce.  Hazmat units must be called in, and production sites put on Superfund lists.  It is a wonder that anyone would even consider putting this pestilence inside their bodies, and I know I'm so high and mighty, because I'VE never used this stuff.  Therefore, I know what the hell I'm talking about, since my brain has never been polluted with this new, so called marijuana."

PS: If the author thinks club drugs are "derived" from horse tranquilizers, I believe they should be put to sleep with these drugs.  :thumbdown:

Edited by biglo (05/27/05 12:56 AM)

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: biglo]
    #4224792 - 05/27/05 01:11 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

There should be a law against this type of horse shit. A person should not be able to REPORT or COMMENT on an issue concerning drugs until s/he has actually proven they have TRIED it before. It's always been funny reading blatant lies from editors when they discuss drugs, but honestly I'm getting a little tired of it.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: SuperD]
    #4224798 - 05/27/05 01:13 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Ha! Maybe we should file a libel suit on behalf of marijuana?

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4225581 - 05/27/05 07:52 AM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Marijuana is cut with ecstasy, which is derived from horse tranquilizers, huh?  :ooo:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: Learyfan]
    #4225807 - 05/27/05 11:01 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Marijuana is cut with ecstasy, which is derived from horse tranquilizers, huh?  :ooo:

What the fuck?!?!  Where did she pull that from?

Edited by RandalFlagg (05/27/05 11:02 AM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4226154 - 05/27/05 01:22 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

"this type of horse shit. "
Whats wrong with horse shit? Subbs are my friend.

They did tell the truth about Marijuana in one sentence.

"the price is just too high"

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: biglo]
    #4227164 - 05/27/05 05:35 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Marijuana CAN GIVE YOU ASS CANCER.

Thats right. The National Institute on Drug Abuse. Concluded tuesday with a survey that showed kids who try marijuana have a 1/4 chance of devoloping ass cancer. It starts when Marijuana is smoked it is passed directly to the colon and than infects the cells and gives you ass tumors.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4227202 - 05/27/05 05:49 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Marijuana: Death Smoke

Recent reports show that the toxicity of marijuana is higher now than ever. In fact, when compared with crack cocaine, marijuana causes many more detrimental effects to the mind and body.

So remember, marijuana is stellar, but can kill a feller.
Smoke some crack and you're OK Jack.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Happy Mutant

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4227258 - 05/27/05 06:31 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Yep! From now on, it's nothing but healthful crack for me! :rolleyes:

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4229374 - 05/28/05 08:40 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Ekstaza said:
Marijuana: Death Smoke
So remember, marijuana is stellar, but can kill a feller.
Smoke some crack and you're OK Jack.

That's a Humphrey Osmond quote, right?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #4229438 - 05/28/05 10:16 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

When will the truth be told that Larissa Lytwyn is the main cause of homosexual experimentation amongst young males?

Oh God what utter crap.

marijuana today is frequently laced with potentially instantly lethal substances, including rat poison and the "club drug" ecstasy. (Note that ecstasy and similarly manufactured "club drugs," are derived from horse tranquilizers).

Wow, how unlike this article, which just like psychedelic mushrooms is derived from horse shit and similarly induces gross distortions of reality.

Let me explain what she means.

Ecstasy is sometimes spelled XTC
XTC can be confused with PCP because it sounds alike and has a C in it.
PCP is often made with cyanide, a rat poison, and has been used as a veterinary anaesthetic which might be mistaken for a horse tranquilizer.

This is as reasonable as pineapples causing street violence.
-Pineapples have got apples in them
-apples grow on trees
-trees are hystorically used to hang people from in lynchings which is street violence.

Quote:

I'm proud to say that I've never been drunk and I've never smoked a joint or a cigarette.

And what a fine example of the splendor of sobriety are you  :smile:

Quote:

I feel especially good about avoiding marijuana

Marijuana users on a same note feel equally relieved that you are not part of their subculture as that could be abused to "prove" that marijuana causes brain damage.

Quote:

The effects of marijuana use on the brain are very similar to the effects of heroin, alcohol or cocaine.

Oook.. three shotglasses and you're out?
Would that be ten years or life for a kilo of Johnny Walker?

Quote:

I'm proud to say that I've never been drunk and I've never smoked a joint or a cigarette. It has been tempting at first but I managed to never do anything that people suggested would give me a good time.

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: Asante]
    #4229627 - 05/28/05 12:23 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Larissa Lytwyn
Junior
Major: Communication
Minor: Journalism
Email: mediasprite@yahoo.com <--- damn it doesnt work.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Edited by baraka (05/28/05 12:27 PM)

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: baraka]
    #4229769 - 05/28/05 01:29 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

^^that picture is just asking to be defaced / edited and slapped under someone's signature or avatar

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
Re: Truth of Marijuana: It's as Addictive As Heroin [Re: SuperD]
    #4230658 - 05/28/05 06:34 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Edit i see but how exactly does one go about defacing that photo?

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   NordVPN NordVPN

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service