Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemxdrk
searching forsomething
 User Gallery
Loc: Louisiana, USA
"Hippie Town"
    #4596870 - 08/29/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am fast approaching 19 and instead of going to college like I thought I wanted to do, I feel like I want to move back to Montana or B.C. There are plenty of Hippies up there and I want to go live up there for a year or maybe more. I love my summers up there. I visited a "Hippie Town" up there a year ago. (I can't remember the name but it is a small town of mostly Hippies.) I express this more and more and my family at first made fun of the idea, but now as I become more serious about this my family seems to always being trying to influence me and hard to talk to. I am thinking about opening a head shop up in Kalispell/Whitefish area with my friend, or maybe move up to somewhere in B.C. I don't want to move as far as Vancouver though. I am very serious about moving up north though. I would like some thoughts on this, I want to try and see this from some other peoples point of view. This also isn't a my parents do understand me bullshit thing either. My dad likes to not talk about hippie related things, I've found out he was an ex-hippie and he sorta goes silent or changes subject if you ask anything to directly. Just lend some of your thoughts please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: mxdrk]
    #4596897 - 08/29/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've never been to montana, but there's 'hippie towns' spread out in various places throughout the country. If you want to do it, do it.

--------------------

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#4596898 - 08/29/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There are a lot of what you consider "hippy towns" in B.C. One I went to was called Nelson and it is a very cute place with lotsa nice and interesting people. They are generally laid back and pretty liberal little towns. I support you on the Vancouver idea. There are so many beautiful places in B.C and Alberta (not to say Vancouver is ugly but still its a pretty big city) that I wouldnt choose Vancouver. And be sure to visit the national parks around the area. Really beautiful

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Edited by BanJankri (08/29/05 09:47 PM)

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4596901 - 08/29/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Dude do whatever you want. It is your life. If you are serious about it, then do it. I would love to do something like that myself. I don't know what is holding me back. Probably fear. Anyways, do you have money to open a headshop? Get it all planned out and then go for it!

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4596916 - 08/29/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't put too much faith in the headshop idea. You might succeed, but you might blow it all or not have enough. Running businesses with friends has fucked many people over.

Go ahead and live your life though. You're over 18, and you don't to meet your parents' view of what they want for you; do what you think is best.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: Ravus]
    #4596983 - 08/29/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i'm gonna go out on the conservative limb here and say go to college first. It'll give you some time to see if thats what you really want to do as well as giving you something to fall back on. Plus it may really help you with your endeavors. you say you want to open a head shop, well shit son, i'm sure a business degree would certainly help. Alot of the time the longer you put off higher education the harder it is to finally get around to it. you'll get settled in the life without secondary education and won't go for it when you may well have been better off with that degree under your belt. just my .02

--------------------
:goose:

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: Dimmy]
    #4597094 - 08/29/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

goodluck with the headshop. There's a tight community of heads around BC, and your going to have a huge challenge bringing in/making better quality items or having influence/trust within the established communities.

Nelson is cool (all of the kootneys is very liberal) but its highly unlikely you'll find work, unless its trimming.

Asheville, north carolina is a wicked little town, extremely liberal college town.

I would suggest looking into the towns on the sunshine coast (the coast around vancouver) there's lots of small liberal hippie communities, very arts and grass roots - your very likely to find a work exchange there... a business is pretty unlikely.

Im kind of in a similar mindstate, but ive been around a bit. I might suggest exploring alot before even thinking of settling or building a business.

goodluck.

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: headset]
    #4597114 - 08/29/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sunshine coast is definetly awesome, good call. Vancouver island and the area surrounding is wickeed.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: headset]
    #4597150 - 08/29/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:

Asheville, north carolina is a wicked little town, extremely liberal college town.

Damn right.  I live about a half hour west of Asheville.  So many hippies there.  Incredibly laid back town.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: License_to_Chill]
    #4597286 - 08/29/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

License_to_Chill said:
Quote:

headset said:

Damn right.  I live about a half hour west of Asheville.  So many hippies there.  Incredibly laid back town.  :thumbup:

im about an hour form there. its awesome! i want to move there!

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4597307 - 08/29/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

go have fun while your young dude, the world will still be here
for your older years, unless Bush, declares this his country,
and he is king forever.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: Vulture]
    #4597312 - 08/29/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Asheville is cool.. I thought Bloomington indiana was pretty cool too.
There's lots of cool little hippie towns up in vermont.. yellow springs ohio..

hehe - http://www.hippy.com/havens3.htm

--------------------

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4598497 - 08/30/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, when I saw Hippie Town I immediately thought of Asheville. Ha! I live there now, it's a pretty kick-ass place to live, even though I don't know any of these dreaded folks. Beautiful scenery, hip artist community, great climate (well, alot of rain this year) and lots of organic food! Of course, drive for 15-20 minutes any direction and you'll find yourself in the sticks, with a rebel flag on every pickup truck and a few more dissapproving stares.
Also, I was born and raised in Montana, and unless you speak of Missoula or Bozeman which are kinda cool, there aren't any "hippie towns" in MT. Rancher towns, miner towns, skiing towns, but certainly not any liberal, hippy-friendly college towns. I would bet that the laws in Montana aren't very head shop friendly, either.
I've heard lots of good things about Burlington, VT and Eugene, OR.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4598568 - 08/30/05 10:04 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mxdrk said:
I am fast approaching 19 and instead of going to college like I thought I wanted to do, I feel like I want to move back to Montana or B.C. There are plenty of Hippies up there and I want to go live up there for a year or maybe more. I love my summers up there. I visited a "Hippie Town" up there a year ago. (I can't remember the name but it is a small town of mostly Hippies.) I express this more and more and my family at first made fun of the idea, but now as I become more serious about this my family seems to always being trying to influence me and hard to talk to. I am thinking about opening a head shop up in Kalispell/Whitefish area with my friend, or maybe move up to somewhere in B.C. I don't want to move as far as Vancouver though. I am very serious about moving up north though. I would like some thoughts on this, I want to try and see this from some other peoples point of view. This also isn't a my parents do understand me bullshit thing either. My dad likes to not talk about hippie related things, I've found out he was an ex-hippie and he sorta goes silent or changes subject if you ask anything to directly. Just lend some of your thoughts please.

going to live with a bunch of hippie nomads will only drag you down. you should be a college know-it-all hippie instead.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: "Hippie Town" *DELETED* [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4598616 - 08/30/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Hendostan

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineBatCountry
Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: Hendostan]
    #5550874 - 04/24/06 11:54 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hey man i dig your idea i'm doing the same except i'm moving p to San Francisco at for a little while, after that I might go to Eugene, Or who knows. But i cant imagine anything better than living in a town where everyone is like minded.

--------------------
Why Should I take Your Bad Trip? -Ken Kesey

Offlinedeadheadjpc2000
Blade
Male

Loc: Emerald Triangle, U.S.A.
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: BatCountry]
    #5550912 - 04/24/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Humboldt County, Nothern California. What else is there to say?

Invisibleirascible_raunch
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: deadheadjpc2000]
    #5551164 - 04/24/06 01:50 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

:bigblunt: 

Are you sure you want to move out to Montana and skip out on going to college?  Montana's a beautiful state, but it's cold.  And it's a red state.  I think I'm biased since I'm from North Dakota.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: irascible_raunch]
    #5551169 - 04/24/06 01:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

irascible_raunch said:
I think I'm biased since I'm from North Dakota.

North A-What-a?

Invisibleirascible_raunch
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "Hippie Town" [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5551179 - 04/24/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

The Roughrider State.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder