Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleeatyualive
ExoCanibalist
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation:Updated Pix
    #457183 - 11/13/01 06:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i have about 25 jars of p. mexs fully colonized with a little sclerotia forming. the jars are pf brf jars. someone told me they will not fruit from brf. so i innoculated some rye berry jars with the mycelia. i am hoping there is a way to fruit them using the brf. also, what is the best casing to use with this strain. i tried coir but that contamned. i was thinkiing about trying a 50/50 casing. any further help would b much appreciated.

--------------------

:chief:CLICK 4 EAT'S REFERENCE GUIDE:chief:

Every piece of information or picture posted has nothing to do with reality.

Edited by eatyualive (01/17/02 06:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation [Re: eatyualive]
    #457210 - 11/13/01 07:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
    #457696 - 11/14/01 03:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Who told you that they won't fruit from BRF? I tried and I couldn't get the Mexicana to germinate on a pf- BRF substrate. If you got it to colonise your BRF cakes why not give it a try (I'd still go with a little 50/50 casing)? Did you use spores to innoculate, or mycel?
Are you sure what you are working with is, in fact, Psilocybe Mexicana?
Rye grass seed seems to be the ticket for the Mexicana...

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

Invisibleeatyualive
ExoCanibalist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation [Re: anima]
    #466958 - 11/22/01 10:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

psilocyber from shroomery said they have problems fruiting from brf. that is who i ordered the spores from.

--------------------

InvisibleLuciferX
ape

#467684 - 11/23/01 06:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I woud take those jars and use them to spwan onto a large amount of rye grass seed maybe mixed with compost and straw too, then try to fruit it.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Invisibleeatyualive
ExoCanibalist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation [Re: LuciferX]
    #523670 - 01/17/02 06:51 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

ok. updates now. i have cased rye grass mexicanas. heavy producing sclerotia in the casing but won't pin. i have the temp set around 75 and cased in coir/verm 50/50 and oyster shells. here is a pic of the sclerotia i 1st harvested. Now i have harvested at least one fresh ounce weight everyday since then from 1 quart of rye grass cased in 50/50. but it has been 2 weeks and no pinning or fruiting.
p.s i ate some of the sclerotia and it is a nice clean trip. also tastes very nice compared to cubies.

--------------------

Anonymous

#524109 - 01/18/02 03:17 AM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Not all of the substrains from the B-strain fruit. Some fruit very good, some fruit alittle, and some don't fruit at all.
The substrains that fruit the best, produce the least amount of sclerotia. You sound like you are getting good sclerotia yields, so your fruiting potential is probably limited.
Are you giving them good air exchange? Rye seed and Whole Brown Rice are supposed to be the best. All the good pictures I have seen were on ryegrass seed. Some of the best fruitings I saw pictures of were in very simplistic fruiting chambers with manual fanning, so I would say you got yourself some GOOD SCLEROTIA FRUITERS. Give it time though, I managed to get four fruits off of a sclerotia producing isolate after 3 months of yielding sclerotia in the casing layer. They were spore less and deformed though!!!
I settled on 5 isolates of the original print for sclerotia production in the casing layer. The Range of production was 20-30+ grams sclerotia dry, per cup of ryegrass seed.
In retrospect, I should have been selecting for fruiting abilities with the B- strain, but I wanted invitro sclerotia producers, so I picked the isolates that produced sclerotia on Agar for all my tests. Actually looked at 100+ different isolates from a single small print. Kept five.
Then Sporeworks found the A- strain, and I realized I had wasted my print on Invitro sclerotia searching.
In the process of testing two of the five again for fruiting potential, I think they might fruit if the mycelium is younger then the original tests. My fruiting tests before were performed on colonized ryegrass seed that had been sitting in a rubbermaid in jars for a minimum of two months. Maybe this over incubation resulted in them losing their fruiting potential, certainly didn't decrease their sclerotia potential in the casing soil.
Good luck, give them time, they may still fruit yet.

Invisibleeatyualive
ExoCanibalist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation [Re: ]
    #525811 - 01/19/02 09:48 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Teonan,
thankyou for replying. well i have the b isolate from sporeworks. i did allow the jars to sit for maybe 2 months and then did a 2nd generation transfer to rye grass spawn after growing the mycelia from brf cakes. i use a very simple setup for the p. mex's. actually identical to the one used at mushmush. i keep the air exchange low according to the mushroom cultivator. i actually saw one pin today after cold shocking the tray overnight in the fridge. but i may have to pick the pin bc the sclerotia creates heavy condensation right before i harvest it and the pin is coming from a ball of sclerotia. i am really just interested in seeing the little buggers and wouldn't mind getting a spore print or two. i may just try to get the a isolate for easy sclerotia formation and get another print or syringe of the b to try to start over and catch the mycelia at a better time. it is producing nice balls of sclerotia but maybe the sporeworks mixed up the strains by accident and i got the a isolate but i doubt it. they have it together. appreciate the help teonan.

--------------------

OfflineSplit
enthusiast

Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Cultivation [Re: ]
    #526900 - 01/20/02 11:13 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Does substrain refer to the environment as well as the strain Teonan? It is my understanding that the production of sclerotia is a survival technique used when production of capaphores is not available due to environmental situations.
I'm just a newbie though.

--------------------
[green]"You'll accomplish more if you start now"[/green]
[red]-Egghead[/red]
[green]TeRzMaStA[/green] is the man.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology