Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Ravers say cops were too rough making bust
    #4570646 - 08/23/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2964938?rss

Ravers say cops were too rough making bust
Utah County: Sheriff defends the actions, denies wrongdoing
By Michael N. Westley
The Salt Lake Tribune

Partygoers at a rave in Spanish Fork Canyon that was busted by police Saturday night say officers used brutal and excessive force to clear the crowd.
As many as 90 police officers from several agencies, including SWAT members and major crimes investigators, stormed the DJ-driven dance party around 11:30 p.m. dressed in full SWAT gear and holding automatic weapons.
A helicopter announced the police presence as it crested a nearby hill and began shining a spotlight on the outdoor dance area, said 19-year-old Scott Benton of Logan.
"The cops just came in wearing full Army [camouflage]. It was basically brute force," Benton said. "I had a gun put in my face and was told to get out of there."
Standing in a crowd of people near the main stage, Alisha Matagi says she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when she was thrown to the ground, punched, kicked and handcuffed by police.
"I did absolutely nothing wrong," she said. Matagi was arrested with about 60 other partyers. She was booked into the Utah County Jail on the suspicion of resisting arrest and failing to obey an officer, according to police records.
About 1,000 people were cleared in less than a half-hour from the private ranch owned by the Childs family in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon, rave promoters said. Several party attendees told The Salt Lake Tribune that officers barked orders fraught with profanity, beat people to the ground and used their weapons to intimidate the crowd.
A video of the opening moments of the bust, taken by Jeffrey Coombs and snatched from the ground by another partier as Coombs was tackled, shows the officers using force on individuals as they took over the crowd.
Utah County Sheriff James Tracy said Monday that he had seen the video and called it an accurate representation of the bust.
"I stand by everything that was done there that night. We did use some force. It was appropriate and necessary to take those who were fighting us into custody," Tracy said.
He also said that no officers used profanity as they conversed with partiers, nor did they punch, kick, Mace or use tear gas on any of the attendees.
"It's all a lie and we refute every word of that," said Tracy.
But the video clearly shows an officer using profanity as he demands the music be turned off.
"Turn that off. Turn that music off or I'll take your ass to jail," the officer can be heard saying to the DJ. In the video, the area where people had been dancing transforms into what looks like a battlefield with groups of officers surrounding ravers on the ground, guns drawn and assault dogs in tow.
"I saw a girl tackled to the ground for no reason because she told them not to touch her. It was vicious," Benton said.
Police said the party Saturday night was the third event held in Utah County during the past month. The all-night parties attract a host of illegal activities including drug use, theft, sexual assault and underage drinking, according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Gilbert.
Saturday's party, named Versus II, had been tracked by police for several weeks, Gilbert said. Police planned the bust when they discovered that the rave's promoters had not filed for a mass gathering permit through the County Commission office.

To have more than 250 at an event without that permit is a violation of the law, Gilbert said.
Party promotor Brandon Fullmer said he purchased a mass gathering permit through the Utah County Health Department about three weeks ago. The purchase of that permit, which ensures water, sanitation and medical services, was confirmed by County Health employee Jay Stone.
Fullmer did not know that a similar permit, which requires a security plan and event details, needed to be acquired.
The sheriff had little sympathy for the promoters or those at the rave. "They did nothing more than ensure this was a venue for illegal drug use and consumption," Tracy said. Officers confiscated ecstasy, marijuana, alcohol, cocaine and mushrooms, he said.
Among those arrested for drug possession were several security guards hired by Fullmer to patrol the event. Guards at security check points confiscated alcohol and drugs as ravers filed into the party, Fullmer said.
"[Security guards] have no legal statutory authority to take and hold controlled substances. It's against the law for them to have them," Tracy said.

Rave Raid Video
See amateur video of the raid (right click and save)
WMV file(6.21 mb)
MOV file

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Ravers say cops were too rough making bust [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4570666 - 08/23/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Im glad to hear that more than just one side of this is starting to get out.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4570675 - 08/23/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=62786

Witnesses say undue force used at rave

Rashae Ophus Johnson DAILY HERALD

Firsthand accounts conflict so starkly that one might wonder whether law enforcement busted two separate events last weekend in Spanish Fork Canyon. Yet the Diamond Fork-area location is among few details confirmed by both the roughly 300 partygoers and about 90 law enforcement personnel who dispelled them at 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

Uprock Records of Salt Lake City promoted the event as an "album-release party" on fliers and Internet sites like www.utrave.org. In addition to live performances by DJ Craze of Miami and Spor from the United Kingdom, the party featured typical highlights like a laser light show, barbecue, oxygen bar and glow sticks.

Undercover deputies and SWAT members depict a rave with rampant illegal activity. Beyond the anticipated drugs -- ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana, mushrooms -- they discovered counterfeit money, guns and an overdosed 17-year-old girl.

But where the stories drastically diverge is the raid.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office reported 18 citations for disorderly conduct, failure to disperse or related charges; 21 alcohol- or drug-related offenses; two for assaulting a peace officer; and two related to firearms. Sheriff Jim Tracy said most of the crowd left peacefully, and deputies exercised a "takedown method" only to arrest those who actively resisted.

Witnesses, however, allege "soldiers" and SWAT members held "AK-47s" to partygoers' heads, punched girls in the face and unleashed an arsenal of everything from attack dogs to tear gas.

"At about 11:30 a helicopter began circling the party," said one partygoer in an e-mail to the Daily Herald. "Out of nowhere huge semis filled with National Guard, SWAT and the police rolled up. Soldiers came out of the bushes and rushed down to the party carrying M-16s, AK-47s, nightsticks and Tasers. They proceeded to attack random people and push their might around on people who had done nothing."

Partygoers and rave fans worldwide are circulating video footage through the Internet to support such claims -- while Tracy used the same clips to defend law enforcement.

"No excessive force was used," he said emphatically.

The SWAT personnel -- including teams from Utah County, Provo, the state Department of Corrections and the Department of Public Safety -- are always prepared with a wide arsenal of riot-fighting gear, including tear gas and canines, but Tracy said they did not use any such weapons Saturday night. The tactical gear is camouflaged similar to military fatigues, but neither the National Guard nor any other military was present.

Josh Witbeck, one of the security staff hired by organizers for the event, has interacted with police at several similar events during three years as a bouncer in Salt Lake-area nightclubs, but police hostility, like he said he observed Saturday night, is rare.

"I was trying to keep the crowds as calm as possible. I knew better than to interfere with the cops, but we all got treated pretty poorly," he said. "I'm not going to place all the blame on the police, but they treated every person here like a criminal."

Tracy said a primary issue was promoters did not obtain the mass gathering permit required by Utah County for events with more than 250 people. To do so would have required at least 30 days notice and approval from the sheriff's office. County officials acknowledged that organizers did receive a health permit regulating such aspects as portable toilets and on-site emergency medical personnel.

Brandon Fullmer, manager of the Uprock Records company that promoted the event, argues that he also obtained the mass gathering permit. He said authorities were denying him a copy of it for proof, but a county official agreed to write a letter verifying it.

"We were not there to start any problems," Fullmer said. "What the cops did was wrong."

Regardless, Utah County authorities defended the raid.

"That's all smoke and mirrors," said County Commissioner Steve White. "They were selling drugs. They were committing illegal acts, and as soon as that happened it doesn't matter what kind of permit they had."

So while Fullmer is consulting his attorney about a possible lawsuit, local law enforcement vow to crack down on the increasingly popular raves.

"There's a legal way to do this, and there's the illegal," Tracy said. "If young folks want to get together and listen to music and dance, we don't care if they go about it the legal way."

Tracy said they are monitoring the Internet, searching for fliers and dispatching helicopters on reconnaissance missions over Utah Valley to locate such gatherings before they expand to thousands of people -- beyond what law enforcement can control.

"If they're going to run one on a Wednesday night, we'll find it," he said. "We will ensure we find them and have them curtailed before they ever get to that point."

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A1.

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4570715 - 08/23/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow..I dunno about the rest of you, but the last three paragraphs in this second one not only sounds scary, but highly WTF maites. They are practically coming out and saying that they are going to raid every event they can find without any reason to do so!

I mean, come on, you don't see police raiding every nightclub event that is held, where drugs are almost surely present to. That second article really kinda pissed me off a bit. So what, they are just gonna go bust up every gathering that happens now even if they do get a permit?

I also love how they got the security guards for drug possession. Then they are like "They did nothing more than ensure this was a venue for illegal drug use and consumption". Oh yeah, so they happen to have these guards busting people at the entrance searching everyone, and at the same time are clearly planning an event to be a bigass drug deal with some loud music and flashy lights...

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: Ramuh]
    #4570730 - 08/23/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

WTF is right, when and who will stop the law's head from getting any bigger..... yeah and just think ramuh, ill bet they threw some of those guards in jail for posession of the drugs they confiscated...... dicks. i hope this story unleashes a fury across the country.

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4570959 - 08/23/05 03:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"[Security guards] have no legal statutory authority to take and hold controlled substances. It's against the law for them to have them," Tracy said.

well how could you blame them? all they were doing was doing their job, what are they supposed to do? they were on the job during the time of the event, they couldnt just leave to go throw them away or turn them into the authorities.

fuck the fuckin cops, they can suck a fuckin donkey cock. :nonono: this makes me so mad.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4571222 - 08/23/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, whats next.....a large scale invasion of a festival like Bonnaroo by the local national guard, that is, if they're not all in Iraq. This is just ridiculous, can't the people have some fun? Yes, sometimes drugs are a part of it, but for the love of god, LIGHTEN THE FUCK UP AMERICA!

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: Cubieman420]
    #4571264 - 08/23/05 04:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

no, not a large scale invasion per se. but they will begin to slowly take more and more of our rights away. they have been doing it for years, but no one has the balls or the energy to fight with them. proving the government wrong could mean your life. let them live out their ignorant patriotic idiocy and fend for yourself I guess :smile:

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4571292 - 08/23/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm willing to bet that if the current trend in American politics continues, the "lot scene" at festivals/shows will become almost non-existent 4-5 years down the road.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: Cubieman420]
    #4571297 - 08/23/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That fucking video makes me so goddamned angry.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4572106 - 08/23/05 09:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

im still waiting to see an aclu stance on this....... really if anyone is going to do somthing about this it is them.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4572545 - 08/23/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i cant believe they havent jumped on it yet.....

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4573106 - 08/24/05 12:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I know people that were there. Theyve told me their story, and its awful. A buddy of mine was on a pretty heavy dose of mushrooms and had a gun pointed to the back of his head while his back was stepped on...then searched by others. More people I know were maced for no reason, just to clear the area really.....

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #4573184 - 08/24/05 12:42 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

fucking A if i dont see aclu action by tomorrow im going to call them. damnit!

im a promoinent member in my local rave scene and somthing has to be done boaut this. there is actual evidence, and eye-witnesses to this bullshit.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service