Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Stones

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Police Crash Big Rave Party
    #4566409 - 08/22/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=96651

Police Crash Big Rave Party
August 21st, 2005 @ 5:18pm

(KSL News) -- In Utah County police raided what they're calling a 'Rave' party in Spanish Fork last night.

Police say 250 people were at the party during the raid and that several thousand more had bought tickets. During the raid police seized weapons and drugs, including marijuana, ecstasy, psychadelic mushrooms, cocaine and alcohol.

Officers received a tip the party was to take place last night In the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork canyon. Surveillance video shows the party was to take place on both public and private land.

James Tracey, Utah County Sheriff: "There were multiple felony arrests in this event. Also, the land owners were charged with operating an illegal activity without a permit."

Police also confiscated counterfeit currency at the event and encountered a 17-year old who had overdosed on ecstasy.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJaeMarie
Stranger

Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: motaman]
    #4567431 - 08/22/05 07:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

this really saddens and sickens me.. everything about this party was kosher! he had a permit, emt staff, security, 2million insurance policy.. people were tasered for video taping, girls had the shit kicked out of them, etc.. fuct!

http://utrave.org/showthread.php?t=19971&page=9&pp=10

Username:Rodan

My story for anyone that is browsing the site:

Last night at 10:00 PM I arrived at a party in the Spanish Fork canyon. I was excited to be there to listen to the great electronic artists that had traveled for to play for the crowd.

Before coming to the event I researched it extensively. The party was %100 percent legal and legit with all permits and necessary security required by law being acquired. The event was well organized, with garbage cans, porta potties, and rope lines blocking off parts of the area that you could no go into.

Now I want you to know that many people out there consider ravers a bunch of drug taking freaks. I also want you to know that that is a stereotype that is passed down through legions of undereducated parents, politicians, and media. There are many of us who are drug free party goers who attend these events for a pure love of the music.

So on to my point. At around 11:00 I was enjoying the good vibes and great music. Then at about 11:30 pm a helicopter began circling the party. Out of nowhere huge semis filled with national guard, swat, and the police rolled up. Soldiers came out of the bushes and rushed down to the party. Carrying M-16s, Ak-47s, nightsticks, and tazers. They proceeded to attack random people and push their might around on people who had done nothing wrong.

I saw about 7 people attacked (before being forced to leave). I saw two of them right in front of me. One was a guy who was walking around with a camcorder stunned at what was happening. A SWAT member told him to give him the camera now. The raver said no it is my camera. The SWAT member then proceeded to grab the camera, throw it to the ground and then began beating the kid. In the end they threw him to the ground violently an put their knee into his back while handcuffing him. All for wanting to keep his property. When I last saw him he was knocked out and unmoving.

Another girl next to me said to one of the SWAT member that she didn't know how to get home as they had just arrested her friend. The SWAT member told her to walk home. My friend tried to grab her to bring her with us, but the SWAT member began yelling that she had touched him (which she hadn't). WIthin seconds, five SWAT members had jumped on her and were literally beating the crap out of this innocent women. She was punched in the face, thrown to the ground, and kicked while down. All for worrying how to get home safely. She is now suing.

The SWAT members proceeded to attack anyone with cameras or camcorders, obviously wanting to restrict the film that got out about it. This was not a legal attack, it was a blatant violation on our rights as American citizens. And the swat, police, politicians who authorized this knew this. That is why they were removing potential evidence.

We were treated as terrorists, innocent kids without weapons or even violent thoughts in their minds were manhandled, treated like terrorists, and forced to stop doing what we were by constitutional rights allowed to be doing. Our rights were completely removed from us. It was if we had visited the 1960s or communist China.

I hope for the sake of the American people that the news media does not let the lies of the government blind them to what truly happened last night. This could happen anywhere to anyone not just ravers, so AMERICA DON'T LET THIS STAND!

more accounts here http://utrave.org/showthread.php?t=20020

http://homepage.mac.com/apexgrin/.Public/fascism.wmv

--------------------

OfflineJaeMarie
Stranger

Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: JaeMarie]
    #4567436 - 08/22/05 07:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah check out the video on the last link..

--------------------

InvisibleTooStonedToType
The Real One
Loc: Colorado
Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: JaeMarie]
    #4567858 - 08/22/05 09:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://freetalklive.com
Is talking about this now.

--------------------
...and as if from the inception of time itself I realized I was and had been for sometime, elsewhere, elsewhen or somehow, quite seriously, otherwise...

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: TooStonedToType]
    #4568109 - 08/22/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

its absolute bullshit that someone can go to the lengths to make a party legit and legal and the pigs can still swoop in and fuck everything up. im really starting to hate this gestapo police state were turning into.

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4568400 - 08/22/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well, that's what you get when you throw a rave or try to have fun in Utah...
:sad:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Police Crash Big Rave Party [Re: biglo]
    #4568607 - 08/23/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That shit could happen anywhere in the US.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Witnesses say undue force used at rave [Re: motaman]
    #4569981 - 08/23/05 11:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.newutah.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=62786

Witnesses say undue force used at rave

Rashae Ophus Johnson DAILY HERALD

Firsthand accounts conflict so starkly that one might wonder whether law enforcement busted two separate events last weekend in Spanish Fork Canyon. Yet the Diamond Fork-area location is among few details confirmed by both the roughly 300 partygoers and about 90 law enforcement personnel who dispelled them at 11:30 p.
m. Saturday.

Uprock Records of Salt Lake City promoted the event as an "album-release party" on fliers and Internet sites like www.utrave.org. In addition to live performances by DJ Craze of Miami and Spor from the United Kingdom, the party featured typical highlights like a laser light show, barbecue, oxygen bar and glow sticks.

Undercover deputies and SWAT members depict a rave with rampant illegal activity. Beyond the anticipated drugs -- ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana, mushrooms -- they discovered counterfeit money, guns and an overdosed 17-year-old girl.

But where the stories drastically diverge is the raid.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office reported 18 citations for disorderly conduct, failure to disperse or related charges; 21 alcohol- or drug-related offenses; two for assaulting a peace officer; and two related to firearms. Sheriff Jim Tracy said most of the crowd left peacefully, and deputies exercised a "takedown method" only to arrest those who actively resisted.

Witnesses, however, allege "soldiers" and SWAT members held "AK-47s" to partygoers' heads, punched girls in the face and unleashed an arsenal of everything from attack dogs to tear gas.

"At about 11:30 a helicopter began circling the party," said one partygoer in an e-mail to the Daily Herald. "Out of nowhere huge semis filled with National Guard, SWAT and the police rolled up. Soldiers came out of the bushes and rushed down to the party carrying M-16s, AK-47s, nightsticks and Tasers. They proceeded to attack random people and push their might around on people who had done nothing."

Partygoers and rave fans worldwide are circulating video footage through the Internet to support such claims -- while Tracy used the same clips to defend law enforcement.

"No excessive force was used," he said emphatically.

The SWAT personnel -- including teams from Utah County, Provo, the state Department of Corrections and the Department of Public Safety -- are always prepared with a wide arsenal of riot-fighting gear, including tear gas and canines, but Tracy said they did not use any such weapons Saturday night. The tactical gear is camouflaged similar to military fatigues, but neither the National Guard nor any other military was present.

Josh Witbeck, one of the security staff hired by organizers for the event, has interacted with police at several similar events during three years as a bouncer in Salt Lake-area nightclubs, but police hostility, like he said he observed Saturday night, is rare.

"I was trying to keep the crowds as calm as possible. I knew better than to interfere with the cops, but we all got treated pretty poorly," he said. "I'm not going to place all the blame on the police, but they treated every person here like a criminal."

Tracy said a primary issue was promoters did not obtain the mass gathering permit required by Utah County for events with more than 250 people. To do so would have required at least 30 days notice and approval from the sheriff's office. County officials acknowledged that organizers did receive a health permit regulating such aspects as portable toilets and on-site emergency medical personnel.

Brandon Fullmer, manager of the Uprock Records company that promoted the event, argues that he also obtained the mass gathering permit. He said authorities were denying him a copy of it for proof, but a county official agreed to write a letter verifying it.

"We were not there to start any problems," Fullmer said. "What the cops did was wrong."

Regardless, Utah County authorities defended the raid.

"That's all smoke and mirrors," said County Commissioner Steve White. "They were selling drugs. They were committing illegal acts, and as soon as that happened it doesn't matter what kind of permit they had."

So while Fullmer is consulting his attorney about a possible lawsuit, local law enforcement vow to crack down on the increasingly popular raves.

"There's a legal way to do this, and there's the illegal," Tracy said. "If young folks want to get together and listen to music and dance, we don't care if they go about it the legal way."

Tracy said they are monitoring the Internet, searching for fliers and dispatching helicopters on reconnaissance missions over Utah Valley to locate such gatherings before they expand to thousands of people -- beyond what law enforcement can control.

"If they're going to run one on a Wednesday night, we'll find it," he said. "We will ensure we find them and have them curtailed before they ever get to that point."
This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A1.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County [Re: motaman]
    #4574164 - 08/24/05 10:51 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=97835

Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County
August 23rd, 2005 @ 4:09pm

Samantha Hayes Reporting

The Utah County Sheriff's Department is facing heavy criticism, even possible lawsuits over the way it broke up a party over the weekend.

Party organizers say they promoted a clean and safe event, while officers argue it was a venue for drugs and alcohol. Whatever you call it, there are lots of them happening and police say it?s out of control.

Apparently, the party these days is past Point of the Mountain.

Sheriff James Tracy, Utah County Sheriff's Office: ?Specifically this year, for whatever reason, Utah County has had multiple rave parties."

Even west of Utah Lake officers say 2000 people gathered there a few weeks ago.

Sheriff James Tracy: ?That one became so large we could not deal with it.?

They definitely dealt with this one. 90 officers and SWAT teams cleared out hundreds of people on private property in Diamond Fork Canyon.

Brandon Fullmer, Event Promoter: ?What they did was wrong and they are going to pay for it.?

Brandon Fullmer promoted the event, tickets were sold, he says security was hired.

Brandon Fullmer: ?They just don?t want us out there listening to our music.?

Sheriff James Tracy: ?If there is an illegal gathering or a crime being committed, we will go in there and shut it down.?

Officers found drugs and a young woman overdosed on ecstasy. But attorney Brian Barnard says they could find that at any concert in Salt Lake City.

Brian Barnard, Civil Rights Attorney: ?My guess is if law enforcement went into certain concerts at the E-Center and searched everyone there they could find illegal paraphernalia, illegal drugs and all that."

That's why the sheriff's department says it?s about having the right permit for the party. Fullmer says he did everything the health department asked.

Brandon Fullmer: ?We took the check list and did everything they told us to do.?

Officers say, not everything.

Sheriff James Tracy: ?If you go over 250 people, you must have a permit, no matter where you are.?

You'll probably be hearing more about this, dozens of people were arrested at the Diamond Fork event and now lawsuits are pending against the sheriff's department.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County [Re: motaman]
    #4574679 - 08/24/05 02:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

finaly something being said about it. I hope this gets publicized across the nation. If I lived in utah around that area ide be kickin' some authority ass about now =/

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4574770 - 08/24/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ven west of Utah Lake officers say 2000 people gathered there a few weeks ago.

Sheriff James Tracy: ?That one became so large we could not deal with it.?

They should stick to having bigger raves.. :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
    #4575065 - 08/24/05 03:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yeah.... just hold fewer of them with more people each time, id like to see swat land in the middle of 5000 or 10000 people. see who the attackers are then.

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4576272 - 08/24/05 09:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

this is so wrong on so many levels.......

see this thread for more info:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4566801/an/0/page/0

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County [Re: Psilygirl]
    #4576438 - 08/24/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

that's bullshit. i hope those pigs get in a lot of trouble for pulling that shit.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #4576465 - 08/24/05 10:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

it's like the army vs. a couple hundred ravers...

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
Re: Rave Promoters Threaten Lawsuit Against County [Re: nightkrawler]
    #4583861 - 08/26/05 02:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I was going to come here and make sure the UTRave.org link was posted, but I see it is already linked - SO the reason I'm posting is to agree with the person who said there should only be huge raves.  I myself am an upcoming dj and the thought of playing for that many people makes me wanna have a sezure or some sort of normality infection of the like.  The only thing is, what'r all these "partiers" going to do on the weekends in place of raves, if you could call them that considering the size of the parties.  I just dont see a major switch like that occuring, not without the right intent :wink:

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #4584208 - 08/26/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/401/twocities.shtml ::

Editorial: A Tale of Two Cities

The contrast could not be starker. In Seattle, 150,000 people gather for the two-day Hempfest, with no incidents and no arrests. Outside Provo, a smaller group of dance enthusiasts congregate for a late night rave in the desert, legally, but are literally attacked by a militarized, multi-agency police team.

In Seattle, the official police line was that they were there, in modest numbers, to protect public safety in the event they should be needed. In Utah, the heavily-armed SWAT-like squadron went in with guns waving, brutalized a number of attendees, carted off dozens and shut down the party. Which approach makes more sense?

Observers of the drug war routinely note how raids using over-the-top police tactics can end in tragedy. Surely Utah County Sheriff Jim Tracy is aware of this too. But that didn't stop him from using them. Someone could easily have been shot by the police, even killed, for no legitimate or useful purpose. One of the young people harshly shoved to the ground could have been injured, even seriously; those things happen sometimes too. But that didn't stop Sheriff Tracy either.

My recommendation is to fire Sheriff Tracy. There is too much overkill in policing these days, and too many cases of shockingly poor judgment such as he demonstrated. And it is not the first time Tracy has placed members of the public in danger in this way. It is dangerous to have such a person working in law enforcement, with the authority and legal power to use force, not just in a top position but at any level. Firing him would be a simple act of common sense and responsibility. But don't wait for it to happen.

Instead, lawyers and civil libertarians will work with the victimized ravers to punish the county with expensive lawsuits, and the point will be made that way. But civil rights shouldn't have to be demonstrated after the fact of their violation. They should just be respected. Seattle's police by no means have a spotless history in this regard. But they made a sensible choice this week at the Hempfest. Utah County police in the desert made a truly bizarre choice.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/401/utah1.shtml ::

Feature: PLUR Meets SWAT as Utah Cops Attack Electronic Dance Party

What was supposed to be a night of dancing to electronic beats under the stars in the Utah desert Saturday night turned into a nightmare for some 900 party-goers as they were suddenly attacked by 90 Utah law enforcement officers dressed in combat gear and carrying assault rifles. The PLUR (Peace, Love, Unity, Respect) kids proved to be no match for the paramilitarized SWAT teams that descended on them on the orders of Utah County Sheriff Jim Tracy.

The event was shut down at gunpoint and some 60 people were arrested, although only 21 of them for drug or alcohol violations. Many more were brutalized, according to numerous eyewitness accounts. Sheriff Tracy claimed the dance party was an illegal gathering without a permit -- a claim vigorously denied by the promoter -- and that illegal drug use was observed by undercover agents at the party.

"It's not just a mass gathering, there's illicit use of drugs, distribution of drugs," Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Gilbert told the Deseret Morning News early this week as questions began to be raised about the raid. "There was a lot of criminal activity just going on at the party itself."

Many early eyewitness accounts described the police as "soldiers" or "National Guardsmen" because of their rough tactics and combat uniforms, but no members of the armed forces were involved, according to Utah County authorities. Instead, the strike force consisted of Utah County Sheriff's deputies, Utah State Police members, a Utah Department of Corrections SWAT squad, and Provo city police. Police officers acted brutally and violently, pointing guns at some party-goers and assaulting others, eyewitnesses said.

Salt Lake City resident member Jonathan Meander, the Utah director of DanceSafe, a harm reduction group that works with the dance culture, was one of the hundreds who had arrived at the party before the big bust. "About 11:30, a helicopter circled the party and people started to scatter," he told DRCNet. "The cops started coming in with cammo gear and assault rifles and dogs and tear gas, and they were yelling and pushing and hassling people. If you tried to get your stuff, you got hit. I saw people get beaten to the ground. They were also trying to prevent people from filming them. The way we got the footage that has made its way to the Internet is that one guy was filming and a cop knocked the camera out of his hand, and one of his friends grabbed the camera and ran away," Meander said.

"I am disgusted. I saw a lot of stuff that just wasn't right," said Meander. "We wanted to go dancing in the desert, and they come with their assault rifles and beat us up."

The assault is being denounced by national organizations that support the dance culture, as well as by civil liberties and drug reform groups. "That raid was atrocious," said Marc Brandl, national director of DanceSafe. "This was harm maximization. If law enforcement had any concerns, they could have brought them up beforehand, instead of ruining these young people's lives," he told DRCNet. "This wouldn't have happened if it had been a Neil Young concert. This is an attack on rave culture, but the more they crack down, the more they drive it underground."

"Throughout American history, our government has attacked every new form of youth music, including jazz, hip-hop, rock and roll, and now electronic music," said Abby Bair, outgoing Outreach Coordinator for Students for Sensible Drug Policy. "A person is no more likely to use drugs at a 'rave' than at a Rolling Stones concert," she told DRCNet. "Fifteen years from now, Americans will look back on the rave laws to see them for what they really were: an absurd effort to criminalize youth culture and a direct violation of 1st Amendment rights."

In the meantime, said Scott Morgan, associate director for Flex Your Rights, a group devoted to teaching people how to effectively exercise their constitutional rights in police encounters, the only recourse may be the courts. "There isn't much we can do to prepare citizens for an experience like this," he told DRCNet. "When law-enforcement chooses to attack rather than protect citizens, the only thing you can do is keep suing them until they can't afford helicopters and camouflage battle-suits."

The attack on Versus II, a challenge of the DJs organized by promoter Salt Lake City promoter and record store owner Brandon Fullmer, is the latest escalation on what has become an all-out assault on dance music parties and the "rave culture" by authorities in Utah County. Located just south of Salt Lake City, the county prides itself on being the most conservative in the nation, and the Mormon-dominated county wants nothing to do with electronic dance music and the youth culture that enjoys it. The Utah County Sheriff's Office reported proudly that it had shut down two previous dance parties this summer. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Utah County cops wanted to "get their point across that such activity was not welcome in their area."

This is not the first time Sheriff Tracy and his SWAT team have been accused of excessive force. In May of this year, the Utah County SWAT team manhandled a Springville family when it erroneously raided their home. In documents filed as part of a federal lawsuit last month, the Lawrence Chidester family claimed their adult son, Larry, was tackled and his face shoved into the ground and rocks although he was standing with his hands in the air repeatedly saying "I am not resisting." The Chidesters also allege SWAT members threw homeowner Lawrence Chidester to the ground and pointed a gun at his head. While the SWAT team was aiming at the house next door, Sheriff Tracy justified the assault on the Chidesters by saying they became involved "as an ancillary issue." They were lying, anyway, he told the Provo Daily Herald.

The Utah County Sheriff's Department public relations machine was in high gear from the get-go. Sgt. Gilbert warned reporters that "raves" are a serious threat where drug use and underage drinking take place. "Reports of sexual assaults, overdoes, firearm violations, vehicle burglaries," also are to be expected, he said. At Saturday's party, a 17-year-old girl overdosed on Ecstasy, but was treated at the scene and released to her parents, he said. Gilbert also mentioned claims from women to have been sexually assaulted at an earlier party. An earlier party in nearby Little Moab had attracted 3,000 people, and the department wanted to avoid that, he said. "There's no doubt in my mind that this one could have been at 2,000 plus (people)," he said. "That's why we hit it so early."

Even in the wake of the raid and the rising clamor about Utah County assaults on the dance culture, Sheriff Tracy told the Salt Lake Tribune his office monitors the Internet, searches for party flyers, and sends up police helicopters in an effort to snuff out such gatherings. "If they're going to run one on a Wednesday night, we'll find it," he said. "We will ensure we find them and have them curtailed before they ever get to that point."

But the sheriff may have bitten off more than he can chew. The Utah dance party community is aroused, and no one more so than event promoter Brandon Fullmer, also known as DJ Loki. "The police were totally out of line," he told DRCNet. "What they did was totally uncalled for. There was no reason for them to use excessive force. They may deny it, but we have it on video. They came in without a warrant and manhandled people, including a 90-pound girl who got beat down. How are we supposed to respect the police when they come and treat us like criminals?"

Fullmer has hired noted Utah civil rights attorney Brian Bernard and plans to file a lawsuit, he said. "Our attorney is reviewing the case right now, and once we figure out how to proceed, then bam! We will take action. I've been doing this a long time and I make sure to cover everything. They've shut down other shows, and I understand that. But when I do everything needed to make this legal, they are not right to shut us down."

Fullmer disputed the sheriff's office statement that he lacked a permit. "They are saying I didn't have my permits, which is a flat-out lie," he said. "I'm not some kid; I'm a businessman and I've been doing these events for 10 years. We were in complete compliance with the requirements of Utah County."

The Utah County Sheriff's Office claimed that the event was not properly permitted because under county ordinance, events with more than 250 people must receive a permit from the county commission. But the sheriff's office was being intentionally misleading, said Fullmer. "The county law says you need the permit if you're going to have more than 250 people and the event is going to last more than 12 hours, but our event was not scheduled for more than 12 hours, therefore we did not need that permit."

Versus II had done everything required of it, said Fullmer. "We had a permit from the county health department, we had emergency medical technicians on scene, we hired security licensed through the state of Utah. By the way, six of those arrested were our security people. They had confiscated drugs from party-goers and the cops arrested them for drug possession for the drugs they confiscated!"

Fulmer and his attorney aren't the only lawyers examining the raid. "We have a lot of problems with how that entire matter was handled. We are extremely concerned, especially about the excessive force issues, as well as about the apparent attack on free expression and free assembly" said Dani Eyer, executive director of the Utah American Civil Liberties Union. "We have received complaints and are gathering stories and are in internal discussions about how to proceed."

Utah County Sheriff Tracy managed to shut down one more party, but in doing so he was brought unintended and unwanted attention to the county and his department. Now the question is how much the taxpayers of Utah County will have to pay for his attacks on young Utahns.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4621962 - 09/05/05 11:16 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=63548

List of those booked into jail after the rave

DAILY HERALD

Utah County Sheriff James Tracy has said most of the crowd left the Aug. 20 rave peacefully, and deputies only arrested those who actively resisted. Witnesses have said "soldiers" and SWAT members held "AK-47s" to partygoers' heads, punched girls in the face and unleashed an arsenal of everything from attack dogs to tear gas.

Police issued at least 43 citations and arrested at least 60 people at the event for alleged offenses, including weapons violations, DUIs, illegal underage consumption of alcohol and possession of marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine and ecstasy. Arrests also were made for resisting arrest, assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct.

"The sheriff did what he thought was appropriate under the law," County Commission Jerry Grover said. "The county attorney was aware of what he was doing."

County Commissioner Steve White said, "Regardless of the ordinance on the time limits or anything, that's not why we went in and busted the rave party." He said the main concern was drugs, alcohol being served to minors and other illegal conduct -- none of which is made legal by a permit.

And County Commissioner Larry Ellertson said, "I'm sad to think that they think they can have people come and break the law and not have the sheriff come in on them."

This is a list of people booked into the Utah County Jail between approximately 12:45 a.m. and 3 a.m. Aug. 21, arrested by the Utah County Sheriff's Office, the Utah County Major Crimes unit and other law enforcement agencies.

Trudy Childs, 51, Spanish Fork: Two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, allowing a mass gathering without a permit.

Joseph M. Galieti, 28, Salt Lake City: Possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia.

Hannah Jane Matherne, 19, Kaysville: Distribution of ecstasy, possession of drug paraphernalia.

Cody Bernell Childs, 25, Spanish Fork: DUI, possession of firearm by a restricted person, holding a mass gathering without a permit, resisting arrest, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, failure to respond to officers' signal to stop.

Katherine Ruth Kalmar, 19, Salt Lake City: Illegal consumption, possession of Xanax, possession of Lortab.

Chad R. Goodwin, 18, Bountiful: Possession of marijuana.

Alexander Maxwell Calder, 22, Salt Lake City: Possession of a controlled substance.

Alaisha M. Matagi, 24, Salt Lake City: Failure to obey police, resisting arrest.

James Aaron Barell, 23, Sandy: Distribution of ecstasy.

Joey Rae Buck, 25, Stansbury Park: Assault by a prisoner, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct.

Jeffery Lonnie Coombs, 25, Salt Lake City: Disorderly conduct, seat belt violation, resisting arrest.

Joshua B. Norman, 18, Murray: Arranging to distribute ecstasy.

Scott Ryan Paswaters, 22, Salt Lake City: Public intoxication, failure to obey police.

John Lee McAdams Jr., 26, Draper: Possession of a controlled substance.

Jared Craig Richards, 25, Bountiful: Possession of a controlled substance.

Brandon Tyson Hughes, 22, Riverton: Distribution of ecstasy x 2.

Joshua Wylie, 20, Salt Lake City: Illegal consumption of alcohol, open container in vehicle.

Yancy R. Childs, 28, Mapleton: Contributing to the delinquency of a minor, allowing a mass gathering without a permit, possession of prescription drugs without a prescription.

Vaughn Patten Wright, 29, West Jordan: Contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Michael Guy Carlin, 24, Clearfield: Disorderly conduct, resisting arrest.

Paul Maka, 26, Salt Lake City: Interfering with police, resisting arrest, failure to obey police.

Jessica L. Wirthlin, 25, Kearns: Failure to obey police, interfering with police.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Federal Lawsuit Filed In Rave Raid [Re: motaman]
    #4621964 - 09/05/05 11:17 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_245181205.html

Federal Lawsuit Filed In Rave Raid

A Utah County ordinance used as justification for shutting down an all-night rave party in Spanish Fork Canyon is being challenged in a federal lawsuit.

Filed Friday in U.S. District Court here, the lawsuit asks for a judicial review of the ordinance and a determination that the organization seeking a mass-gathering permit should have the responsibility to determine the time-length of the gathering.

Two rave parties hosted by the Salt Lake record company UPROCK were shut down after less three hours each on July 16 and Aug. 20 by the Utah County sheriff's office. The closure was based on a ``prediction'' by Utah County Sheriff James Tracy that the concerts would last longer than the 12 hours allowed by permit, said attorney Brian Barnard, who filed the lawsuit on UPROCK's behalf.

The lawsuit seeks no monetary damage award but does ask for a court order that prevents the sheriff's office from shutting down an event based on ``guessing'' how long an event will last.

No hearing date has been set.

Utah County Attorney Kay Bryson said Friday he was aware of the lawsuit but could not comment on it.

The ordinance requires organizations seek a permit for gatherings where ``an actual or reasonably anticipated assembly of 250 or more people which continues or can reasonably be expected to continue for 12 or more consecutive hours.''

UPROCK obtained its permits from the Utah County Health Department and said the event would begin at 9 p.m. and end at 6:30 a.m. _ before the 12-hour deadline. Contracts between UPROCK and its equipment suppliers support that, Barnard said.

Officers shut the event down at 11:30 p.m.

``Clearly at one minute after 12 hours the statute's broken,'' Barnard said. ``The sheriff apparently has a crystal ball and can figure those things out.''

Roughly 90 police officers from multiple agencies broke up the event, arrested and issued citations to more than 60 people for violations ranging from weapons offenses to underage drinking, drug possession and driving under the influence, the sheriff's office has said.

One 17-year-old West Jordan girl overdosed on Ecstasy, and was treated and released to her parents.

Barnard said it's appropriate for officials to arrest those individuals breaking the law, but that the arrests don't justify shutting down the concert.

Utah County officials have also said that UPROCK needed an additional mass-gathering permit from the County Commission. The county ordinance mandates security-related permits for large events, officials have said.

UPROCK believed it had obtained all necessary permits and was not informed by the health department that any more were needed.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Rave Organizers Want Restraining Order On Sheriff [Re: motaman]
    #4647327 - 09/11/05 09:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_252233313.html

Rave Organizers Want Restraining Order On Sheriff

(KUTV) SALT LAKE CITY Two raves have been busted this summer in Spanish Fork Canyon. Now organizers want to throw another party. They say the busts were illegal and now they want a restraining order on the Utah County Sheriff.

Video from one of the raves shows deputies in riot gear taking rave kids to the ground. More than 90 deputies, some armed with automatic weapons, raided the rave party on August 20. An earlier rave party on the same ground was raided on August 16.

Rave promoters plan to go to court to get an order against the Sheriff before they schedule a third rave sometime this fall, according to their attorney Brain Barnard.

?The Sheriff had no legal basis for what he did,? says Barnard.

Sheriff James Tracy said the promoters didn't have a permit they needed from the county commission.

But the county ordinance says the permit is required only if the party lasts more than 12 hours. The raves were raided after about two-and-one-half hours.

After the raid, the Sheriff?s office showed drugs, alcohol and firearms taken from party goers.

Now the case is in Federal Court, Utah County officials aren't talking, and they are keeping secret the initial arrest reports that are usually available to the public.

Of about 60 party goers who were arrested, authorities so far have evidence to actually charge only 6, though more charges could come later.

The hearing on the attempt to keep the Sheriff away from the third rave will be held next week.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Stones

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service