Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum
    #4491129 - 08/03/05 05:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Can an admin or mod or webdesigner add an extra page before ID posts are allowed to be put up?  It would merely say:

Did you list the appropriate information for an accurate identification?  If not, please go back and include (ID info here) so that you can be helped properly.

Valued members aren't helping to id mushrooms anymore because of the clusterfuck of one-timers posting a bad pic with no information.  These people need help getting an appropriate ID, but as things stand now, it is too easy for them to clog the forum with pisspoor posts.

Long live Shroomery. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: Signo]
    #4491284 - 08/03/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Good idea, but it would have to be optional because many threads on the hunting forum arent ID threads. So someone could easily bypass the regulated ID form out of laziness and say "can i just get a quick ID on this?"

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4491441 - 08/03/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent point.  Perhaps this function would only pop up for persons with less than 50 posts? :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

#4491456 - 08/03/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Idea:

Subforum for Identification?

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #4491494 - 08/03/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

We've had a splash screen for a long time :\, all new users get it, I guess no one reads it

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/splash/Forum3.html

there has also been talk of making a subforum for ID's only... good idea?

DH

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

Loc: Washington, USA
    #4491496 - 08/03/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Idea: A datasheet built that has required fields to be filled out, so they cant be posted without all the very important identification features, and that they had to do them or the post would be rejected.

--------------------
Our body is light, we are immortal.
Our body is love, we are eternal.
Eternal..

Omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#4491509 - 08/03/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

heh, yeh, that idea was brought up about a week ago in the mod forum...

I think it's a good one too, I'll bump the post and see if we can get it done.

DH

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: spores]
    #4491629 - 08/03/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i think a new subforum for identification is a great idea

--------------------

Entheogen Trade List

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: tryptonite]
    #4492111 - 08/03/05 09:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I stand behind you here and with you in the gathering signo. Let's help clean up the shroomery and take extra precautions for all our members.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #4492291 - 08/03/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A subforum is a good idea, but does anyone really want to mod it?

I like the idea of a form to fill out.

Whatever happens, something needs to be done. This used to be my favorite forum. It's so hard to sift through the rubbage to find something interesting....

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: Psilygirl]
    #4492372 - 08/03/05 10:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Im with psilly girl on this one.

Thye problem is the shroomers who come here and do not want to read anything so when you tell them something, they do not really hear what you are saying.

This is apparent as the FAQ really has every thing someone needs to know for the identification of psilocybian fungi.

On the other hand, many here are also interested in edible shrooms and most of all should learn, before anything else, the poisonous speices and the look-a-likes.

There are not that many deadly shrooms which remeble the psilocybian shrooms.. However, the priomary poisonous shroms are the three deadly amanita's the three deadly galerina'a and the lone Conocybe filaris. All have amatoxins and or phaelotoxins. Ther e are of course some deadly boletus mushrooms which, unfortunately stain blue to blue green. But those can be easily eliminated becasue they have a porous bottom and no gills.

Green gills is iobvious. ion age the gills turn an olive green.

But everyone wnats shrooms I.D.

What gets me is the people who eat any shroom they find and then ask about it. or people who claim to have eaten certain shrooms which do not get one high, but they say they are or have been.

I have shown people pictres of galerina autumnalis and they claimed to have eaten it.

But then again, I think no one would want to mod it.

So a form???

mj

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4493245 - 08/04/05 12:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It does get pretty frustrating to come on here and read countless posts and not be able to reply to any of it because it's incomplete or just irrelevant.
Some days I really want to just come on here and talk about mushrooms or help someone out or whatever, but finding a good post to actually be able to reply to is pretty rare some days... takes the fun out of coming to this forum.
I try my best to contribute what I can here but I can't really think of any way to change things...... just giving my thoughts on the matter is all that I can really do. Patience and understanding will most likely keep me coming here either way.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: Psilygirl]
    #4493653 - 08/04/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:A subforum is a good idea, but does anyone really want to mod it?

I think a subforum is really the only thing that will solve this problem.
A standardized form is going to generate just as many posts to clutter the forum, it will just, possibly*, make IDing easier. But the forum itself will still be as over-run with clutter as it is.
But, as psilygirl mentioned, it will be a hard one to moderate.

I would also like to see a FAQ for edible hunting and would be willing to help if there is a desire for it.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: eris]
    #4493852 - 08/04/05 03:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm with eris. I think we need to help people [that need help]. Gumby's pages should help, but don't seem to work. ***PEASE READ***....Quick ID tips oughta do it, and it's laid out perfectly.
Will a subforum really help? But the idea of a form, like is already beimg discussed, ya know, like you can't enter the post until required fields are filled in, would do wonders.
Some people genuinely need help on making a print and such, tho, so I hope we don't forget about those.

:peace:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (08/04/05 03:27 AM)

Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4493924 - 08/04/05 04:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think it is cool that people have been generous on here with ids for me. Often it is only a genus that you need to get you going, and sometimes you get that without actually deserving it, not having done all the necessaries with habitat info, etc. The other thing is that proper ids are hard when you bring it home, and then try to go backwards through it. And I think id-ing mushrooms is a bitch, period, when you are inexperienced (like me). So a little tolerance is in order. What pisses me off is a combination of blurry cell phone pictures, grade 3 spelling and gramma, and no description at all. BTW, there is a prompt for your first 20 posts or so that makes you preview your message before it goes through.

--------------------
Wallace

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#4494339 - 08/04/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't see how a subforum dedicated to mushroom ID's would be any harder to moderate than this forum is now.  in theory ( :wink: ) it would cut down on clutter here and help us enforce the rule of not posting ID requests without the relevant info better.  I can't speak for the other mods, but as it is, we get lots of posts like that which go unnoticed by me, because, like many of you, after reading the first page of the usual posts we've been getting here lately, I'm about at the end of my patience and don't want to dig through every post from the last day or few days to lock threads, copy/paste the rules and bitch people out for not following them.  I sometimes feel like I'm too harsh in locking threads as well, since our other mods haven't generally seemed to throw out locks as much as I have in the past, and people have pm'd me complaining about threads I've locked (not the thread posters), so I've been mellowing out on it lately.  Not to mention, I haven't been around as much as I used to be.  I dunno about the other mods, but I do sympathize with those of you getting tired of the way things have been going lately here. 

the only problem I can see with a subforum, which was brought up by Gumby, is getting new posters to post ID requests there instead of here, we always have the ability to move threads, but I could see that getting a bit tedious until people figure it out.

the idea for a form to fill out is interesting, though I don't know how easily that can be done.

any other comments/concerns/ideas are welcome...

DH

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4494405 - 08/04/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The subforum idea is good, but I think the hunting mods should lock or even just trash the post that don't have no more information than a pic.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4494662 - 08/04/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm all for a sub forum..
In the last couple weeks I have about pulled my hair out with all the same questions over and over and over!
I got sick of this real quick.. I swear I answered the same question 5 times in 5 separate threads.
My only problem is "will folks actually pay attention to this"
I'm not an expert in Mushrooms in any sense.. But I do my homework!
And it has payed off ten fold!

I think some new folks need to SLOW down a lil and do the homework first... Then start to ask educated well thought out questions rather than .. Is This Active? with a photo of a smashed Mushroom out of a sweaty dirty lint filled pocket!
Sorry for rantin....

Yessup :thumbup:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: ClusterFUCK in the Hunting Forum [Re: YESSUP]
    #4495550 - 08/04/05 02:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with yessup. I myself am by no means someone who has been around here that long, or one that has a great deal of experince in identifying mushrooms and such. I find myself able to answer the questions in a lot of these posts though. Doing the resarch really does help to answer most of the questions I see on here.

But of course..I guess there really isnt anyway to force people to do the research. I think the information on this site is wonderful, and it has really improved my hunting a lot.

A subforum sounds great, but I dunno how much that would really help. One, you have the problem mentioned earlier of people posting it in here instead of in the subforum. Two, it wouldnt really stop the bad ID posts IMO anyway, just move them. Point two isnt all too bad though, because in essence it would still clear up the main forum a bit better.

If you could make it so that all posts in the subforum require a form to fill out, though, that would be really good! It may intimidate some new people from trying to post and get an ID, but overall I think it would be a great idea.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #4495599 - 08/04/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

how about this... every time some clicks "reply" or "quick reply" they are first directed to a page that says: "ID request? click here," and you're directed to a page which has a form to fill out.

then below it there can be a link that says "not and ID request? click to continue" and you're directed to a normal posting set up.

whaddya think?

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures