Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

Transformer Overflow
    #4489356 - 08/03/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I had a few people over last night and as we were chatting it up we started seeing really bright flashes outside. Power was surging for some reason and electric arcs were shooting out a part of it. So damn cool. It happened about 15 times and then caught on fire. We called the fire department and then continued to enjoy the show. Fire started dripping down onto the ground and eventually lit the base of the pole on fire. The fire dept ended up letting it burn out and then used a fire extinguisher. Then pepco came and turned off our power for the rest of the night. Damn them.

So why science and technology? Because I was wondering if anyone knew more about electricity than I do. I was an electricians apprentice for a while and a fairly good physics student but I cant figure out why the current arced the way it did. You know those rubber stoppers just outside of the transformer? It arced between those. This is a pretty bad post but I really want to know. If yall dont find this interesting, lets talk about EMPs.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Re: Transformer Overflow [Re: LittleBen]
    #4503321 - 08/06/05 10:22 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's definitely one of the coolest things to watch. That happened at my house too! The sound of a transformer exploding across from your house is a sound you can't forget....sounds something like, "BBBBVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTTTTTZZZZZZZRRRRRRRVVFT" lol. Showers of sparks and smell of burning metal not uncommon.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Transformer Overflow [Re: Newbie]
    #4517903 - 08/10/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Mabey do a search on Jacob's Ladder and science projects. Same funkin thing I would guess, except its under controle.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4517964 - 08/10/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I would say it's just a simple matter of the insulator breaking down over time. Those transformers have about 13,000 volts running to them and I don't know how many amperes, but I'm sure there's a great potential there.....

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4518086 - 08/10/05 02:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think it may have something to do with what is called "core saturation" of the transformer.

Core saturation (if I'm correct) is when the power levels inside the transformer (specifically, the magnetic flux levels) reach the maximum level that the transformer's inductor can carry. This can happen if more power (amperage) is used on the secondary than the transformer is designed to provide.

I know if you do this on a small transformer (like the kind you find in most electronics) it can result in an immediate destruction of the transformer with smoke and maybe even some sparking. I suspect something along the same lines is responsible for a lot of transformer (pole-pigs) failures in the power system (ie: too many people running those ACs!).

On the other hand, I think there are some special types of transformers that are supposed to have core saturation occur - without failing - so I could be completely wrong about all this :smirk:

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology