Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty
    #4406442 - 07/15/05 02:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i had this thought a while back and i think that it can work'

what about hooking up around 4 car batteries to an alternator or 2 which will be hooked up to a stationary bike or windmill to generate power.

im concerned that the bike will not get the alternator up to suficient speed to create electricity....

im half finished building a house/shanty in the local forest preserves in my area. so far i have a decent platform built about 8 feet up suspended between trees. the frame is made of fallen trees, and there are 2 sheets of plywood making the platform. it is strong enough to support my weight when i jump on it.

i am going to make a tarp roof above the platform and the lower area, although i plan to use logs and brush to insulate the botttom half.

i wuold like to have electricity, atleast for lighting, radio, and prehaps phone/radio chargers as to stay in touch and i think that i can run all of that off of 12 volts.

what do you think?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Edited by zippoz (07/15/05 02:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4406458 - 07/15/05 02:29 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you had a few batteries hooked up in parallel you could probably power some stuff. Of course the phone is looking for 120 volts, so you would have to step it up by making a basic transformer to put your plug into, but I cant see any issue why it wouldnt work.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: TheCow]
    #4406460 - 07/15/05 02:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh wait maybe i am not understanding you actually, explain this thing in more detail?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#4406472 - 07/15/05 02:34 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

okay here is a picture of the frame that the plywood is laid on, i just remembered i uploaded it

okay so you have that , it is about 7 or 8 feet up in the air, and there are sheets of plywood laid over the frame work of tall skinny trees, so i can stand on it. that is going to be the second floor

below it will be the first floor where the electrical stuff will get stored.

so i want to hook up a stationary bicycle or converted mountain bike (so i can have the gears) and have a belt run from that to some alternators, from there i will have the alternators charge around 4 car batteries.

then i will use the electricity to power a small car sterio, lights, and a 12v cell phone charger.

im worried that the alternators will not produce enough power becuase i wont be spinning them all that fast or because of some other un-forseen problem with the alternators

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4406505 - 07/15/05 02:48 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would like to say that this wont work, but I would wait for an answer by someone who more knows how cars work.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4406568 - 07/15/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds feasible, but remember, an alternator needs a small amount of current back from the batteries in order to produce a magnetic field in order to generate electricity. I'm not sure how that would be wired up, though. Also, the generating action also requires quite a bit of physical effort, so you need to be in good shape, if you're going the bicycle route. I would seriously consider some other alternative, like your idea of getting the mechanical motion from wind power....

Edited by Le_Canard (07/15/05 04:14 PM)

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4408224 - 07/15/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

damn man, how long have you been working on this? I would be more interested in your plans / thought process if you wanna share with us. I think this is pretty cool.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: tak]
    #4409070 - 07/15/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

since an alternator is not too hard to turn, i imagine if you put a good gear ratio on the bike, you would be able to spin it really fast without killing yourself.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: tak]
    #4409242 - 07/15/05 09:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i was actually thinking that i could suspend a mountain bike up in a tree :smile: and have the generators pulleys actually tightened against the wheel, eliminating the need for a belt :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4409272 - 07/15/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an inexpensive to build windmill that looks interesting. I thought about buying the plans and seeing if I could use it to generate some electricity.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4410958 - 07/16/05 09:03 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i wouldnt use car alternators. you should build a generator to what you need. just need magnets, wire, plywood, and some epoxy to seal everything with and you could tailor it to exactly what you need.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4411250 - 07/16/05 11:47 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Of course the phone is looking for 120 volts...

All my phones either utilise a step-down xfomer (wall wart) or the volatge on the phone line itself (older phones). It would be trivial to cut the wall wart off the phone power cord and wire to the battery or just use an older phone.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: debianlinux]
    #4411337 - 07/16/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

call phone, there aing no phone lines out there man

--------------------
PEACE

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4411537 - 07/16/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i see. same difference. my cells all have wall warts.

automan has a good idea about building your own generator.

if you do use car alternators then i suggest careful experimentation of the gear ratios and the use of more than one alternator.

by replacing the crank with a pulley multiple alternators could be turned via serpentine belt.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #4414000 - 07/17/05 04:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

tesla's mian part of plan, with his alternators, was making the spin fast enough, do some research, I think you will need at least 20,000 cycles per second, or something insanely, not like a bicycle gear, a bicycle's gear would probrlaly give way too much resistance,

wind is probraly your best option, except that you look like your in a pretty dense forest, your windmill would be have to be above the tree line,
the trick to good wind power, is universal direction, multi sized bearings, and bearing adapters that fit inside custom fabricated tubes, Also hella large propellers, and hella strong footing,

I think you might be better off using four cars, to power those four batteries, off gasoline, or even better using a generator to power up those batteries.

or if you have the money, get some solar. Won't have to be above the treeline!

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #4414002 - 07/17/05 04:43 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

oii, double post, oops

Edited by nugsarenice (07/17/05 04:51 AM)

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4414569 - 07/17/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: automan]
    #4417155 - 07/18/05 01:16 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
i wouldnt use car alternators. you should build a generator to what you need. just need magnets, wire, plywood, and some epoxy to seal everything with and you could tailor it to exactly what you need.

You got a link for that? I've been thinking about building a generator.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: electricity off the grid using scrap auto parts for my shanty [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4418066 - 07/18/05 07:41 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

browse through the otherpower.com link i posted above. most of those guys built their own servos

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology