Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

Bacteria or rust?
    #4466667 - 07/28/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't understand the physics behind this but here it goes:
I was helping my friend check his quart grain jars for contams and one of his jars has a weird spot on the polyfil. He has a tyvek layer and a single polyfil filled inoculation hole in a tin lid. Anyways, checking the jars today I see one of them has a brownish gooey spot on the polyfil; also there is a water trail from this gooey spot extended out in a thick stream extended out from the polyfil in a single direction, almost like water squirted out of the jar somehow. This just showed up 2 days after the jars were shaken.

I figured it was just rust from the hole in the lid and the water must have seaped out from when he shook his jars. He cleaned up the polyfil and the lid with rubbing alcohol but...

I was wondering how we could tell if that was some sort of bacteria or if it was really rust. We couldn't find any signs of bacteria in the grains or on the underside of the tyvek but the myco does look a little more 'icey' than normal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Re: Bacteria or rust? [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4467409 - 07/29/05 12:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

umm, a picture would help. But if it gets worse, then its probably a contam. Sounds like a contam to me though.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Bacteria or rust? [Re: Liquidkick]
    #4468682 - 07/29/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

More than likely rust which is harmless on the filter, but you must be extremely careful not to let whatever filter material you use get wet when you shake the jars. A wet filter material will allow bacteria to colonize right through it. Filter material must stay totally dry.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies