Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMidnight Rider
dead mycologist
 User Gallery

rust colored bacteria on whole rice coming from syringe?
    #8496646 - 06/07/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hi this is my first post here.  I've grown cubensis before but never from spore.  I always got a colonized jar from some where and broke it up and inoculated other substrate from that.  Now I need to start from spore this time.

So I went to a local headshop and got a two syringes: one equador and one golden teacher. 

I followed all sterilization procedures correctly and inoculated 10 jars from each syringe. Wore surgical mask, gloves, being sure to flame the needle between each jar, etc.

So after about 1 day I start to see that there is a change in color at the innoc sites.  The rice was getting wetter looking and turning a rust color.  Then after about 3 days nice white mycelium appears and starts to obviousely compete with whatever the rusty slime is.  The jars smelled sickly sweet, obvioulsy a bacteria.  At this point all jars have been contaminated in the exact same way and all have been discarded.

It seemed to me that the contam came from the syringe since it didn't appear til innoc and it only appeared at the injection sites.  I innoced the two syringes 3 days apart and used different cooks that had both been PC'd and set aside for several day to make sure there was nothing growing in them, and the contam was exactly the same in every jar.

I have never used BRF or Verm in my jars I just use whole brown rice, always have and prolly always will.

So anyway I figure the syringes where both contaminated since everything seems to point at them as the source. 

So I'm going to try Ralphsters now.  I'm assuming the syringes I get from there will be good.  I hope so...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: rust colored bacteria on whole rice coming from syringe? [Re: Midnight Rider]
    #8496668 - 06/07/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah you answered your own question....and always use shroomery vendors I like sporeworks myself but any of the vendors will be fine and should be contam free for microscopy :wink:

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: rust colored bacteria on whole rice coming from syringe? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8496677 - 06/07/08 04:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I have always used RalphstersSpores and have never gotten one contamination or even one problem.

--------------------

You will be missed

InvisibleMidnight Rider
dead mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: rust colored bacteria on whole rice coming from syringe? [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #8496858 - 06/07/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Cool thanx fer the confirmations.  I am an experienced gorwer but just having to do some diferent things to get started this time, so I was pretty sure I knew what was up and I just wanted to get some other opinions.  I didn't find this board til the other day so I didn't know about the vendors.  Well thanx and you'll be seeing me around.  Peace MR

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: rust colored bacteria on whole rice coming from syringe? [Re: Midnight Rider]
    #8496873 - 06/07/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

cool man, all the best of luck :wink: see ya around :thumbup:

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale