Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating!
    #4422928 - 07/19/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Holy Shit!

Read it here!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Male

Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4422937 - 07/19/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Those who weren't at the Intonation Music Festival (and we'll try not to rub it in too much) have heard the rumors. Those who were got the facts straight from the horse's mouth shortly after the band took the stage. But we, friends, have the juicy details of how Broken Social Scene's Dave Newfeld was allegedly beaten black-and-blue by police officers last week before a performance in New York.

Shortly after Broken Social Scene took the stage on Saturday at the Pitchfork-curated Intonation Music Festival, singer Kevin Drew announced to the audience: "We just decided 20 minutes into arriving in New York that it would be a good idea if we went and bought marijuana. And Dave preceded to get the shit kicked out of him by four policemen, ladies and gentlemen! He got thrown in jail for 24 hours!" And then, amid the jeers, came the kicker: "And now the Broken Social Scene is suing the cops of New York City!"

It happen on Thursday night. As Newfeld was being driven from Canada to New York by a friend to play a gig with Broken Social Scene at Central Park SummerStage, his pal and driver decided to stop off and score some weed...in Washington Park! It was an episode of Boy Meets World, Shaun Hunter attempting to convince innocent Cory Matthews to do something he knows probably ain't such a hot idea, but, as Newfeld told Pitchfork on Saturday night, when the other dude's behind the wheel, you gotta roll with the punches.

So, our Shaun Hunter exchanges $20 with a dealer in the park while Newfeld stands by watching the events unfold. As Newf tells it: "We walk around the corner, and all the sudden I'm tackled in a football style attack, like a mugger would do, you know? You grab the person and catch them by surprise and they ambush in a football tackle. And then they're like, 'Police, police, police! Fucking put your hands behind you!'" Due to the lax drug laws in Canada, Newfeld says he didn't connect what he assumed to be a mugging with his schwag score, assuming the "police" claim was a ploy by thugs to keep their victims passive for an easy stick-up.

"They started punching me in the face and beating the shit out of me and throwing me on the ground, so I'm trying to get away-- not fight them back, because I'm not capable of that, but just to escape. And then they threatened to break my hand and I'm like, "No, don't break my hand! I'm a musician. I gotta fuckin' play tomorrow! And so I'm really freaking out, and at that point I thought, 'Just take my wallet, whatever. Don't break my hand. My wallet's not worth it.'" By now, Newfeld's pal was cuffed on the ground, and finally decided it was time to break the news: "They're cops! Submit!" Oh, and P.S., whoops!

After being thrown in the back of a paddywagon, Newfeld was left to sit with a handful of shady characters while the 5-0 went around picking up other perps. He was then taken back to the station in pretty poor shape, strip-searched (whuh-oh), and, having been left in a cell for an hour or two, taken to Bellevue Hospital to have his beatings checked out. It turned out he'd suffered two cracked ribs. While in his hospital bed, he was given a report detailing the charges against him-- four counts of assaulting an officer and possession-- which still stand as of press time. (Ironically, his pal was let off with no repercussions.) He now plans to launch a lawsuit for wrongful arrest and use of excessive force.

One topic Newfeld and BSS co-frontman Kevin Drew wanted to stress was that not all the officers exemplified extreme hostility. "There was some humanity involved," Newfeld insists, citing the kindness of certain officers at the station. "Some have sadistic impulses and others don't." And, of course, there's a lesson to be learned in all this-- one which Newfeld says applies not only to his personal life, but to his professional life as well: "Basically, I gotta fucking call my own shots." Follow you hearts, kiddos! Until then...uh, fuck the police?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4422966 - 07/19/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Damn, that's crazy.  I always thought that the NYPD was kinda chill :shrug:

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4422975 - 07/19/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wow they beat the shit outta that guy :lol:

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #4422980 - 07/19/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

wow!

thast intense...

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4422986 - 07/19/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They deserved everything they got.

The weed trade in New York is a violent and dangerous
blight that is literally tearing the very fabric that holds
manhattan together.

Long live Giulliani's Iron Fist!!!!!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Male

Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: afoaf]
    #4422995 - 07/19/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They're idiots for buying in Washington Square Park. The entire park is under surveillance 24 hours a day, while shady people walk around barking "trees, trees" at every unsuspecting out of towner that walks by.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: afoaf]
    #4422996 - 07/19/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
They deserved everything they got.

The weed trade in New York is a violent and dangerous
blight that is literally tearing the very fabric that holds
manhattan together.

Long live Giulliani's Iron Fist!!!!!

:rotfl:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#4423014 - 07/19/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thats totally fawked. Breaking 2 ribs, thats some serious beating.  :cuckoo:

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: BanJankri]
    #4423083 - 07/19/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That's what you get for fighting with cops.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #4423099 - 07/19/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

fuck the police. Cops need there ass kicked.

--------------------
"You might not be aware of this, but there are a lot of dickheads on the Internet." - D. Wong

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #4423111 - 07/19/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just love it when someone gets their ass beat by cops and in the process of throwing up their arms to defend themselves, the cops take it as being assaulted and thus the guy is charged with 4 counts of assaulting an officer.  Happens everytime.  It makes me so happy!  :frown:

To hell with cops.  Every single one of them.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4423122 - 07/19/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i'd think that rock-stars would have better connections than buying 20-bags from shady dudes in the park!

--------------------

Offlinejack324
Stranger
    #4423157 - 07/19/05 11:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Another story about the cops worrying about pot smokers when they could have been doing something important like solving a violent crime>>>DOESN'T SURPRISE ME>>>I hope they get sued for everything their worth, cause that's a hell of a beating.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4423539 - 07/19/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I feel anger

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: jack324]
    #4423556 - 07/19/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So if I become a police officer, I can savagely beat anyone I want to?

Where do I sign up?

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: Cowgold]
    #4423600 - 07/19/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I hope you get beat by a cop.

I fucking hate people like you...cops are good people.

Anyone who's known a cop or has shown any office
the slightest bit of respect knows this.

It's people who do stupid things that usually find themselves
on the wrong side of the law....to them I wish them all the
luck in the world....in prison.

--------------------

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Broken Social Scene sue NYC Police after Marijuana-related Beating! [Re: BloodNOil]
    #4423615 - 07/19/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That story reminds me of the South Park where Ned and Jimbo yell "Its coming right for us" when they hunt, and then they can kill the animals in "self-defense". The cops probably just say, "He's attacking", and then it makes it assault on an officer and they commence beating the dudes ass.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4423617 - 07/19/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've met alot of cops who hide behind their badges and I've met alot of good cops too. The thing is no one ever really talks about the cordial and respectful encounters with cops, they only talk about the dickhead power trippers.

I can't stand it when a cop takes liberties with me or tries to puff his chest out, and I usually end up getting in more shit for this. That being said when I see guys on the beat and I'm walking by I'll usually give a "Hey thanks alot, I appreciate it"

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #4423646 - 07/19/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
I hope you get beat by a cop.

I fucking hate people like you...cops are good people.

Anyone who's known a cop or has shown any office
the slightest bit of respect knows this.

It's people who do stupid things that usually find themselves
on the wrong side of the law....to them I wish them all the
luck in the world....in prison.

So 4 people trained in methods of fighting flat out beat a guy, who mind you looks like he weighs about 150 lbs at most, and you say they are good people. Ludicrous, I say.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds