Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Syringing spores out before the veil tears. Cutting cap to maximise sterility and yeild. * 1
    #4354549 - 06/30/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

In TMC it says
"veil can be an aid in the procurement of nearly contaminant-free spores.The veil seals the gill from the outside, creating a semi-sterile chamber from which spores can be removed with little danger of contamination. By choosing a healthy, young specimen with the veil intact, and then by carefully removing the veil tissue under aseptic conditions, a nearly pure spore print is obtained. This is the ideal way to start a multispore culture."

Does this happen well in cubensis? If you pick before the veil tears and wait a few days will more spores have dropped inside the veil? Even if there are very few, that is all you need for a decent syringe, but I want as many sterile spores as I can get for a psuedo print technique I want to try.

I am also thinking it would be easiest to slice off the untorn cap and let the stem mature on its own, thereby having a maximised yeild while getting sterile spores without any fancy clean room methods. While the cut caps stems are still growing you can cut all the maturing caps off just before the veil tears. So you don't have spores falling all over your casing yet you are getting a higher yeild than you would if you were to pick them all before the first veil breaks.

support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Edited by blackout (06/30/05 10:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Syringing spores out before the veil tears. How long do you wait after picking? [Re: blackout]
    #4354562 - 06/30/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like a pretty damn sterile idea, i have made prints within 30min of the viel rupturing, so id say the answer to your Q is likely yes.

weretheshit.com is the shit!

Hyperspatial Transcendence
 User Gallery

Loc: Zeta Reticuli
Re: Syringing spores out before the veil tears. Cutting cap to maximise sterility and yeild. [Re: blackout]
    #23755230 - 10/20/16 05:19 PM (5 days, 17 hours ago)

I honestly hope that because this thread is 11 years old that bumping it wouldn't be an issue. However, I am quite curious.
Did it work?
If so, what was your exact technique?
Did it result in more sterile spores?
Did the veil tear after you cut the cap off?
If the veil didn't tear, and you only had loose spores in the veil, could one pierce it and then simply shake the spores into a syringe while working in a SAB?

If bumping this post was a mistake, then I apologize.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation