Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Veil Question
    #717161 - 07/02/02 02:02 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Okay...so 8 of my 10 cakes all have decent-sized and amounts of pins going right now...the largest shroom as of this morning is over 3" tall and looks like the cap is going to start opening soon....HOWEVER...it also appears as the the entire veil had "slid" off the cap about 2 inches down the stem as it was growing. These are Mazatapecs.

I'm assuming that since the cap is pulling away on the one side and that there's no veil hanging on to the edge of the cap where it's pulling away that the veil simply slid off and stayed on the stem as it was growing...cause yesterday morning it was still all attached to the edge of the cap and the stem...but there's never been any stretching of the veil...it just looks like there's a white sock layed out smooth along an inch of the stem. Is this normal? The shroom looks healthy...all the shrooms that are growing look really healthy right now...just wondering if this is typical of the Mazatapec strain while developing into a mature fruity body.

The final two cakes must still be in vegetative/digestive stage of development....which is weird because 7 of the ten jars sat an additional 10 days after reaching 100% as well as 3 of the jars sitting an additional 7 days after reach 100% in the incubator before birthing all 10 on the same day. *shrug* The final two cakes are healthy and still getting whiter/fuzzier....mycellium have grown down to the geolite...just waiting for knots/primordia.

Thanks for any advice...hopefully will be harvesting this weekend.

Peace,

Boppity

PS - OH! I also have a shroom growing from the underside of my one cake...it's growing straight out to the side....it never bent upwards towards the light after clearing the edge of the cake. It's just pushing out along the geolite. Should I harvest this shroom before the veil breaks? Or is there a way to train it to stand upright? What would you do? It obviously won't open the cap properly if it isn't facing up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
Re: Veil Question [Re: Boppity604]
    #717360 - 07/02/02 05:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Bop!

The veil thing sounds kinda weird to me. If the veil has broken away from the cap then pay attention that it doesn?t cap out and drop spores. You can look at the gills under the cap; if they are a light brown your OK yet. When they get real dark almost black they will drop.

As far as the shroom growing sideways, no problem. Let it run its course. The worst that will happen (in the Pod) is the shroom will soak up water from the Geo-lite and you will have a very wet shroom. This has happened to me many times, they dry out just fine and are fully edible.

Keep up the good work Bop. I can see you will be a valuable asset to the shroomery due to your ability to pay attention and follow instructions to a T. Your kicking ass for a newbie!

--------------------
Peace
Six

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Veil Question [Re: sixpac440]
    #717408 - 07/02/02 06:32 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Six! Thanks for those kind words.

Yeah...I've never seen any pictures of a Mazatapec maturing without the veil attached to the cap...I mean literally...yesterday it started to sprout off the cake REALLY fast (it's over 3" tall now) and yet the whole veil material is just "stuck" around the base of the stem...the entire cap is "open" but not by much...no spores have begun to drop and I just checked in on the "babies" and the tall one is now starting to split in two places along the edge of the cap. They're changing color the more they grow. Going from the traditional tan stem and dark red/brown caps with white spots to the Mazatapec caramel/pale tan color. I also now have a shroom growing right into the Pod lid...another one shooting out instead of out and up. LOL Did I get "handicapped" spores?? LOL

The other shrooms shooting outwards against the geolite is starting to lose its veil as well...but I'm thinking that might be a tear from growing against the geolite...none of the caps on any of the other shrooms have opened yet....so probably this time tomorrow I'll have more to report.

Thanks for the reply!

Peace,

Boppity

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Boppity604]
    #717631 - 07/02/02 08:41 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Veil Question [Re: vatoloco]
    #717693 - 07/02/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Vato...but those shots have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

There has been no veil since this particular shroom started growing. There is a white "sock" wrapped around the stem where the cap first was yesterday...it's the white veil material...but the entire thing just "pulled" along the stem...stretching out the veil material...but it never stayed attached to the cap itself. The cap hasn't even begun to open yet, but there is no veil attached to it. The veil is like 2.5" down the stem from where the cap is now. The cap is also splitting up two different sides....

*shrug* Not much I can do but sit and watch them grow at any rate...

Thanks for the pics...but I already know what a typical veil looks like...I didn't ask for that...I wanted to know if anyone has seen the veil "slide" right off the cap as the mushroom begins to grow. All the other veils on the other shrooms are looking "normal".

Everyone: Is is still good to make a spore print from a cap that's split? Does this not matter?

Thanks!

Boppity

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
Re: Veil Question [Re: Boppity604]
    #717778 - 07/02/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi again Bop!

As far as the shrooms growing against the dome, again no problem as you will just get a "wet" shroom. It will dry just fine.

Yap atcha later!

--------------------
Peace
Six

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies