Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinepH_
Voyager
 User Gallery

Loc: New England
Connecticut Hunting
    #4339837 - 06/26/05 07:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hello fellow shroomerites. summers here, and i think it would be a nice time to start hunting. unfortunately, the hunting Q&A didn't have much for CT :frown: Mass is relatively close, and according to the list pan subbs and g. spects grow there, i hope its the same for CT.

i've done a search for posts with Connecticut, and found quite a bit, but most of them were years old. i saw Gumby say "No. Mushrooms do not grow in Connecticut. Ever. Absolutly None. It is too cold." which i hope was not true, because it is hot as hell right now :smile: unfortunately, many, many of these threads got locked and nothing really useful was said. i hope my thread here doesnt meet the same fate.

"Psilocybe caerulipes grows along streams and riverbanks in woody debris in the early fall until the freeze. Psilocybe silvatica grows in areas where logs have been logged out and in the spring months Panaeolus subbalteatus is common in rotted haystacks which have been ledft out all year for compost. This mushroom is common in the hay and at riding stables and racetracks in the early spring rains."

this was from another thread, posted by Anonymous, received from MJ. most of that is around here. hopefully this info will help other CT'ers with their hunts.

to wrap this up, has anyone had any success with CT hunts? when i walk outside to water our garden and plants, my heads usually fixated at the ground :grin: yet, nothing.

cheers :sun:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinepH_
Voyager
 User Gallery

Re: Connecticut Hunting [Re: pH_]
    #4346501 - 06/28/05 01:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hmm before i go out for the day, ill give a shameless bump. anyone in RI/MA/SE NY have luck? we just got rain here, the place im going at supposedly has horse/cow fields. wish me luck :laugh:

Offlinesteve055
Stranger
    #4346863 - 06/28/05 03:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm from CT as well and found some unknown Psilocybe around me. Check out this thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4324852/an/0/page/6

What you say is true, there is not much info on CT mushrooms.
Also with the rain today, im hoping for some good luck this week.

Edited by steve055 (06/28/05 03:31 PM)

OfflinepH_
Voyager
 User Gallery

Re: Connecticut Hunting [Re: steve055]
    #4351353 - 06/29/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

steve055 said:
Also with the rain today, im hoping for some good luck this week.

im praying for good luck also.. it rained yesterday, misted the rest of the day, and is raining as we speak. interesting find btw. i have found some mush growing, but they didnt look like any cubes or anything, very cone-like and white.

good luck on your hunt  :thumbup:

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
    #4352126 - 06/29/05 09:05 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm north of you and i wouldn't suggest just looking in your lawn, you wont find much. there is a guy here from VT who has found pan subbs. in his horse pasture, and i guy from RI who finds gyms in the fall. i don't know if he has found any pan subbs. this year yet, he hasn't posted them. if you want pan. subbs. i would suggest looking near horse stables or horse fields, as your front lawn wont have much there. although there was a post recently saying that all apartmented housing in his CT region have fertilized lawns that grow pan subbs. ? I'm not nearly adventurous enough to find a place to park and get out there in some strange field with a farmer or something coming over to me and see whats up. if you just want a sure bet i would just suggest incubating some substrate indoors and tossing it in a hole with some hay and cover that with horse poo. the weather we are having right now is pretty perfect for fruiting. its like low, mid 80s with 60-85% humidity. depending on the time of day. if you are near the coast of CT it might not work as well. I'm in a valley up here.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #4352931 - 06/29/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

LOL! The funny thing is, I remember saying that. I think the person was asking in like the middle of January what mushrooms were growing in CT at the time. No mushrooms grow in snow (none of interest, at least).

I locked most of those posts in the past because they were the run of the mill "what mushrooms grow in CT?" posts, and those are against the rules.

As far as mushrooms up there goes, Pan subbs and Gyms. Thats it. You really are too far north for most of the good stuff. =\

OfflinePlasticFantastic
AspiringWoodsman
Re: Connecticut Hunting [Re: Gumby]
    #4355033 - 06/30/05 01:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm from the Northwest corner of Connecticut and live out in the woods providing alot of places to look. Last year I believe I saw some Amanita muscaria but did not know of their potential, I've been checking the area I saw them but have seen nothing. I read that in Northern climates they start to grow later in the Summer, probably the reason.

--------------------

Edited by PlasticFantastic (06/30/05 10:38 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification