Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Are aquarium fish sensitive to noise in the room?
    #4339466 - 06/26/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking of opening a bar and having a big ass aquarium full of all kinds of cool sea-life in it. Would the noise (people yelling, loud music, etc...) badly affect the fish? Only people who know should respond.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: Are aquarium fish sensitive to noise in the room? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4339474 - 06/26/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i dont think so, because under water no sound really gets in, but if someone taps the tank then yea it would affect the fish. as long as no one touches the fish tank i would say they would be alright

opening a bar? wut state r u in?

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

Offlineblackroselove
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Loc: WYO Flag
    #4339483 - 06/26/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have a fish tank and they only seem to get pissed off when the glass is poked at.

Blackie:flaming:

--------------------
BlackieRL:flaming:
BRL:flaming:

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: Are aquarium fish sensitive to noise in the room? [Re: thegatewaydrug]
    #4339486 - 06/26/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

just be carefull about low frequencies(bass). pluss reaserch the fish you get some are a lot more skitish than others and they can get very stressed out but some fish don't mind at all

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4339490 - 06/26/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm in Pennsylvania. And I am thinking about maybe opening a bar.

Liquor Licenses are going for cheap in my city (the area I was thinking of opening up shop in is a "hip" area with bars and weird shops and the licenses are going for about $10,000 or so).

I want to make my bar hip but accessible to everyone. It has to be ecclectic in order to bring people in. Of course, I was thinking of the big aquarium with cool fish in it, but I was also thinking of having a big nice TV for a TV area that people can watch movies in. I also wanted to put up 3 or 4 computers that are hooked up to the internet and that you can play online games on. I have never seen a bar with internet access or the ability to play Versus each other in computer games. I think that would be a hit.

I of course would have some arcade games, a pool table, stereo jukebox, etc..

But right now I am trying to think of weird little extras that will draw people in and help develop a brand I guess you could say.

Invisiblethegatewaydrug

#4339506 - 06/26/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

10,000 thats it!!!! in CA its like 250,000

--------------------

General George S. Patton

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4339508 - 06/26/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Think about really posh hotels and restaurants that have ridiculous aquariums set up while they play mediocre music at loud volumes so people with nothing of substance to say can yell at the top of their lungs to one another between lines of coke and drinks with nothing less than Grey Goose (which isn't even that wonderful of a vodka, might I add).

Anyway, now that that half-rant is over I guess I was just trying to say...I think you'll be A-Ok to have some fishies.

A friend of a friend just opened a bar in Brooklyn with a homemade miniature golf course in back, it's hilarious.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
    #4339519 - 06/26/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you want a stunning aquarium display i suggest you check out a Nature planted aquarium along the lines of Takashi Amano's work. Although you would be hard pressed to find someone of his skills to do it with a little work and reading you can make an awesome display. I have a 120 gallon nature aquarium 5x2x2 1/2 as soon as i get a camera i will put up a picture of it it's taken me about 2 years to realy get it how i envisioned it but it came out incredible

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4339521 - 06/26/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thegatewaydrug said:
10,000 thats it!!!! in CA its like 250,000

Things are much different in PA. You can buy a decent house in my hometown for $40,000. In Pittsburgh, you can buy a decent house for $90,000 or so.

Invisiblethegatewaydrug

#4339528 - 06/26/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

man i might consider moving there then, is it a good place to live?

--------------------

General George S. Patton

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Are aquarium fish sensitive to noise in the room? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4339535 - 06/26/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Think about really posh hotels and restaurants that have ridiculous aquariums set up while they play mediocre music at loud volumes so people with nothing of substance to say can yell at the top of their lungs to one another between lines of coke and drinks with nothing less than Grey Goose (which isn't even that wonderful of a vodka, might I add).

Vapid yuppies looking to get laid? Sounds like fun to me.

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
A friend of a friend just opened a bar in Brooklyn with a homemade miniature golf course in back, it's hilarious.

That's what I'm talking about. Weird little things that will make people want to come in. And of course I will have all of the prerequisite stuff that a bar needs to have (TV, music, pool table, dart board, etc...)

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4339538 - 06/26/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There's a strip club around here that has all kinds of aquariums in it and they play loud music all day long. But, I am usually too busy looking at naked women to notice if the fish mind all of the noise.

Male

#4339541 - 06/26/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It's really hard for me to LOVE a bar that doesn't have a pool table. If 0 is hate and 10 is love, I could easily rate lots of places 9's that would be 10's if they just had pool tables.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4339544 - 06/26/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bars without pool tables are worthless I think.

Male

Re: Are aquarium fish sensitive to noise in the room? [Re: Deadmaker]
    #4339545 - 06/26/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My friend Del DJ's every week or two at this place near my apartment that has a pool table and as a favor since he gets all his friends to come and buy their beer, they unlock the pool table and let us have it all night for free. :grin:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4339546 - 06/26/05 03:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thegatewaydrug said:
man i might consider moving there then, is it a good place to live?

Pittsburgh is not a bad place to live. It is big enough that there is stuff going on (sports teams, shows, etc...). Eastern cities are much more condensed that western cities. Western cities just seem to be suburbs and strip malls. Eastern cities actually have character and distinguishable neighborhoods.

People do bitch that there is not too much culture in Pittsburgh. I disagree (there is a symphony orchestra, ecclectic neighborhoods, shows, etc..), but Pittsburgh doesn't have as much culture as NYC or LA I'm sure.

The weather there kind of sucks too sometimes. Lots of gray overcast days.

The economy is not as amazing as it is in other places. A job that pays $100,000 a year in LA will pay $40,000 a year in Pittsburgh probably.

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4339548 - 06/26/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hehe, yeah, the local bar does that for me all the time. That's the main reason I am having problems controlling my drinking habit hehe.

Invisiblethegatewaydrug

#4339550 - 06/26/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hmm ima see wut i can find out about it, sounds an alright place to live

--------------------

General George S. Patton

Male

#4339552 - 06/26/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My best friend Larry lives in Pittsburgh, used to go to CMU. He actually works at a bar there, called Zooty's. Anywho, I visited him once and thought the city could be all right as long as you were doing stuff with yourself to make your time worthwhile. The physical environment though...it's kind of a downer. The architecture is a tourist draw, which I can understand, but I found it to be really depressing. I associate the word "monolith" with Pittsburgh buildings. And the weather has a dreary tendency.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4339557 - 06/26/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, the ghettoes are kind of a downer (and there are a decent amount of them).

Did you go to Oakland or the South Side? Those places are usually hopping on the weekends.

The "monolith" quality of a lot of Pittsburgh's downtown buildings is attractive to me actually. I think it looks majestic and old-fashioned.

Edited by RandalFlagg (06/26/05 03:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order