Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: 5 new fishes [Re: JettaJay]
    #3898265 - 03/10/05 03:06 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Cool! What you have there are called  Zebra Danios. . You'll be happy to know that they are good fish, and almost impossible to kill off if they are healthy! They are a super starter fish and are often used to start off a new aquarium since they are nice and hardy. They make great community fish as they don't usually pick on other fish and they are quick enough to outrun the mean ones. Take good care of them!

I had a big problem with one of my planted tanks and lots of the fishies died :frown: I was down to two zebra danios, and one of them got really sick with dropsey. The super sad part was that the healthy one stayed by the side of the other one until he died, it almost broke my heart! Since he was the last one, I adopted him out to a friend who had a herd of them, as they are schooling fish and like to be with their own kind or they'll get lonely. As long as you have some good filtration and plenty of room for them to swim, they will be fine happy fish :smile:

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask us fish experts :wink:  :grin:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: 5 new fishes [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3900128 - 03/10/05 09:14 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

All of them died. I took them back to the pet store today and they said that they tank they came out of had an infection in it and it wasn't found until today. i don't usually get sad over things but this made me really sad for some reason. It's like they depend on me for food, clean living space, and nice conversation now nd again (even if it is just talking to the tank). I am going to start a new aquarium tho. I am going to get a 30 gallon aquarium. I just need some ideas on what kind of fish to put in the aquarium. So let the ideas Flow people !!! Thanks

~~ JJ :gd_icon: :heart: :peace: Shine On

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: 5 new fishes [Re: JettaJay]
    #3901486 - 03/11/05 08:14 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

How much do you know about properly setting up a tank? Not meant to offend, some people just dump fish into new water, and that alone will kill them. Fill your tank and treat the water (with stress coat and/or amquel/novaqua to get rid of the bad stuff in your tap water) and put all the plants, gravel and decorations in there, and just run the filter on it for a week or so. Then I would get five healthy zebra danios (just like you had) and put them in there. If they are healthy and you put them in good water at the right temp, they'll be just fine. I'd leave only those five fish in there by themselves for at least a month to get the watery environment started, and then you can begin adding more fish.

It is important when you put new fish in to a tank to float the bag for 10-15 minutes to get the water temps to be the same (temp shock can kill them). But don't dump the water in the bag into the tank! This is a very important lesson I learned, because you don't want the two waters to mix at all, just in case the other tank (like in your case) is infected with anything. I did that and dropsey killed my whole tank :frown: :sad: Instead, hold a net over the sink and dump them all in to the net, and then put them in to the tank. You can save your tank this way! Also use lots of stress coat since any time you net them it wrecks their natural slime coat.

Ground feeders like catfish and algae eaters are also good first additions. They tend to be hardy and will keep your tank clean.

Feel free to pm me with any questions, I don't want to ramble on here forever :wink:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates