Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKristiMidocean
fattie whale
Female User Gallery

Loc: Texas
How can "the man" do this??
    #4271310 - 06/08/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

WASHINGTON Jun 6, 2005 ? People who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it to ease pain can be prosecuted for violating federal drug laws, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, overriding medical marijuana statutes in 10 states.

The court's 6-3 decision was filled with sympathy for two seriously ill California women who brought the case, but the majority agreed that federal agents may arrest even sick people who use the drug as well as the people who grow pot for them.

Justice John Paul Stevens, an 85-year-old cancer survivor, said the court was not passing judgment on the potential medical benefits of marijuana, and he noted "the troubling facts" in the case. However, he said the Constitution allows federal regulation of homegrown marijuana as interstate commerce.

Study: Genes Play Role in Women's Orgasms
Pot Clubs' Concerns Closer to Home
ImClone Shares Rise on Erbitux Data

The Bush administration has taken a hard stand against state medical marijuana laws, but it was unclear how it would respond to the new prosecutorial power. Justice Department spokesman John Nowacki would not say whether prosecutors would pursue cases against individual users.

In a dissent, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said the court's "overreaching stifles an express choice by some states, concerned for the lives and liberties of their people, to regulate medical marijuana differently."

The women who brought the case expressed defiance.

"I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I don't really have a choice but to, because if I stop using cannabis, I would die," said Angel Raich of Oakland, Calif., who suffers from ailments including scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea, fatigue and pain. She says she smokes marijuana every few hours.

Diane Monson, an accountant who lives near Oroville, Calif., has degenerative spine disease and grows her own marijuana plants. "I'm going to have to be prepared to be arrested," she said.

The ruling does not strike down California's law, or similar ones in Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington state. However, it may hurt efforts to pass laws in other states because the federal government's prosecution authority trumps states' wishes.

What the hell these people are in real pain and have let them use MJ for many years to help with their pain and nw they just want o take that away??? whats wrong with them?

--------------------
:smile: I live for LNC :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: How can "the man" do this?? [Re: KristiMidocean]
    #4271316 - 06/08/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The ruling won't affect much.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: How can "the man" do this?? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4271327 - 06/08/05 10:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

but symbolically, it sucks - both for the medicinal marijuana issue, and states rights in general

--------------------

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    #4271357 - 06/08/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Actually It doesn't change much at all. The Federal Government has been arresting sick people for using their medicine for a long time in California. They bust the Buyers clubs and arrest the owners and also bust larger scale grows for medical users. The thing that sucks the most about it is that it affirms that the federal goverment doesn't give a shit about states rights. I mean even the fact that they don't give funding to states unless they enforce a seat belt law and keep certain speed limits. Even petty shit like that. Gun control registration. Fuck them. It seems The Man does what The Man want's. Just keep your grows personal and discreet and you shouldn't have a problem.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How can "the man" do this?? [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4271379 - 06/08/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: How can "the man" do this?? [Re: goobler]
    #4271383 - 06/08/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Anthrax had Judge Dredd on an album cover? Wild.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4271464 - 06/08/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Really, all this means is that SCOTUS believes, rightly so, that the marijuana being grown in california is related to interstate commerce. I know that I was getting bud from South Cali, and i'm in PA.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #4271507 - 06/08/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

DOWN WITH THE MAN

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4271511 - 06/08/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

SCOTUS post #269 and two days late...no less.

wake up people.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds