Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineduster
psychadelicgardener
Male User Gallery

Loc: ARIZONA,TRANSLVANIAA,ETC....
Xbox 360 Unveiled!
    #4176729 - 05/14/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

www.xbox.com

Wow 3 processing cores with 3.2ghz each = 9.6ghz processing power!  :eek:

Nice and sexy design but I feel that whole style will be dead here soon  :syringe: :grin:

--------------------
"Life is created out of the seeking of knowledge."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: duster]
    #4177505 - 05/15/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

All those CPU's seem pointless.....You can have all the processing power in the world, but if the software can't take advantage of it whats the point?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: barfightlard]
    #4177571 - 05/15/05 09:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

To goad the developers into making some games that will take advantage of it. :smile:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #4178269 - 05/15/05 12:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hopefully they can keep the game cost under $100 each.  :wink:

What I find most fascinating is that they will be having a 500 MHz GPU with 512k GDDR3 memory.  A comparable graphics card for the comp costs well over $500.

Really this just shows the huge discrepency between costs of high-end computer products and actual manufacturing costs.  It also shows the power that a duopoly can have over market prices.  The way most processor lines are manufactured, it actually costs more to produce the lower end stuff but it is all about manipulation of the market. 

Obviously, there is a strategy by ATI going on to sell high-end equipment for dirt cheap to console manufacturers.  No doubt it has to do with non-replacable parts and the development cycle.  Sorry for my rant.  :tongue:

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
    #4178481 - 05/15/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bellylard said:
All those CPU's seem pointless.....You can have all the processing power in the world, but if the software can't take advantage of it whats the point?

yep thats just it!
no need for this power within the next 2-3 years, maybe 5ghz but definitely not 9.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: ohmatic]
    #4178515 - 05/15/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No need for it? You're telling me the engineers at microsoft don't know what they're doing? Cmon...they just want to blow Sony away which makes me very happy. Agreed that M$ is a corporate superpower, but a domestic superpower is better than a foreign one.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4178882 - 05/15/05 03:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Actually the point of those processors is to run multiple programs at once (i.e. play an audio cd while playing a game with a dvd encoding in the background).  This does not give the theoretical 9 GHz or whatever, even if games are programmed to use it.  It does give programmers the ability to process audio on one thread and video on another, etc. but this is very complex and while this will defeinately give a performance boost, the advantages are not as great as many people think.

However, don't get me wrong.  Parallel processing for home users is the most promising leap in processor technology since the 386.

BTW, have you actually read about Sony's next machine?  Looks like a proprietary processor with 9 cores on a chip.  I wouldn't be so sure about M$ dominance in this area but we will see next week.  :grin:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: Catalysis]
    #4181333 - 05/16/05 05:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

> Really this just shows the huge discrepency between costs of high-end computer products and actual manufacturing costs.

Actually, I would say this shows just how big the Microsoft Monopoly really is. They can loose billions of dollars on x-box consoles to drive Sony and Nintindo out of the market...

> they just want to blow Sony away which makes me very happy.

It makes me very sad. Competition is what maintains balance with capatalism. If you get rid of competition, then capatalism fails and the consumer (us) ends up paying the price...

> This does not give the theoretical 9 GHz or whatever, even if games are programmed to use it.

Correct, but the throughput is greater than that of a single core cpu.

> It does give programmers the ability to process audio on one thread and video on another, etc.

Yes and no. Programmers do this already, even with a single core, single cpu system. Threads have been around since the late 1960's... the first paper I remember reading about called them "Green Threads" and incorporated their use into Agol-68.

> but this is very complex

Not really. Multiple threads of execution are a bit more complex than a single thread of execution, but not by much.

> and while this will defeinately give a performance boost, the advantages are not as great as many people think.

With the x-box, I would agree... assuming that it is running Microsoft code and that Microsoft continues to use non-threaded (or poorly threaded) libraries. This is a fault of the software, not of the hardware.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4181564 - 05/16/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bellylard said:

you completely miss the point. the Xbox is a singular platform. developers love consoles because it's an even playing field. every end user has the exact same configuration. i can guarantee you that any worthwhile game will utilise the full potential of the system. please explain why this would not be the case. :crazy2:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: debianlinux]
    #4181573 - 05/16/05 08:55 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

entering this thread i meant to point out that I am going to wait for all 3 upcoming consoles to be available before making a purchase.

I seriously doubt that this Xbox will really hold a candle to at least one of the other offerings. Here's hoping it is Nintendo because I have never liked any of Sony's consoles.

People who buy this rig now are either the must-have type who will own every system eventually anyway.

I also think that the more hackable system may prove most popular.

I'm still supremely happy with my current xbox.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: debianlinux]
    #4183206 - 05/16/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like nintendo may have similar hardware as the Xbox. Power PC processors and ATI graphics. It would be badass if nintendo came back into competition. I think everyone remembers the first time they played mario bros. and it wouldn't take much to draw gamers back to nintendo, just some more hardware power.

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4190387 - 05/18/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
No need for it? You're telling me the engineers at microsoft don't know what they're doing? Cmon...they just want to blow Sony away which makes me very happy. Agreed that M$ is a corporate superpower, but a domestic superpower is better than a foreign one.

'cept if rumours are to be believed the PS3 has processing power far beyond what everyone was expecting. (2 teraflops?) Though I can't see how the PS3 can compete on price if it's full of expensive silicon.

OfflineIceCube
Stranger
Re: Xbox 360 Unveiled! [Re: Sorted]
    #4195314 - 05/19/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615535p1.html
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614727p1.html
(had an article on all the specs but lost it)

Heres a good link on the PS3, I believe they are gonna hold up fine to Xbox and it will be a split market. The PS3 has some crazy technology in it like cell processing. 1 thing thats for sure though is there is gonna be some crazy games coming out, which is all that matters to me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder